PDA

View Full Version : Ka tranny in SR20 Trouble

Roc
05-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Alright I'm going to replace my transmission and I was planning on using the ka sohc transmission, toofartsy mentioned that this would be the better one to use b/c the shorter gears, and I happened to get this transmission free also. I was having a few problems When trying to separate the bell and the tail from each other.. I undid all the bolts on the center of it pulled out the shifter also. Now do i need need to take the bolts out in the middle of the inside of the bell housing? Oh one more thing.. I noticed there is some type of plate between the bell housing and tail housing.. i was able to separate it from the tail but not the bell.. ? Just didn't wanna pull of the tail housing with out doing it properly. All input would be very helpful thank you. Please don't rate me negatively because I got that last time on asking a question on the boards about the transmission.. I have used the search im just not finding anything that acknowledges what I'm doing...

johngriff
05-15-2007, 12:52 AM
YES.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN HAMMERING ON THIS... AWW MAN...

You MUST remove the bolts around the input shaft.

After these are off, remove the snap ring around the input shaft bearing.

You also DO NOT NEED to remove the tail.

Now that you have separated the whole assembly, make sure you clean the surface of the sandwich plate and RTV the surfaces.

When removing the tail, you may have knocked the shifter rod out of place.

After everything is together, make sure each gear engages, and test each gear by attempting to turn the assembly via the input shaft or drive shaft.

Roc
05-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Thank you john.. I appreciate your help so much.. Im glad you said something before I started doing anything else to it.. Oh the shifter rod i still intact btw... Thank you Again.