PDA

View Full Version : Need help with steering problem

JohnJohn86
05-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Hi, I am new to the 240SX. Just sold my 87 AE86 and got myself a S14 with 200K miles. I need help with suspension problem!

The car drives fine when turning in low speed. However, when I throw it in a corner, I can feel a huge play in the rear suspension and the car would suddenly turn in a much larger angle. It is like all wheel steering without control!

I put some rear sub frame collar bushing and it doesn't help the problem at all. What else should I check?

NemeGuero
05-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Whats your alignment like?

Do you have a rear sway bar?

JohnJohn86
05-13-2007, 11:30 PM
haven't check the alignment yet, but the car drives straight.
yea, there is a sway bar.

Also there is a "clunk" noise when the I turn hard.

NemeGuero
05-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Maybe your diff is slapping around. How are those bushings?

JohnJohn86
05-14-2007, 12:07 AM
I would assume the bushings are bad, but I don't want to spend a lot to change all the bushings and find out it's not the problem. Which bushing should I change first? I already have the polyurethene subframe collar.

What do you mean by the diff slapping arround? How can it affect the steering?

Project-Mike
05-14-2007, 12:19 AM
I think I might have a similar problem. I like to describe it like a sudden gust of wind while turning. I drive an S13, but the problem is also the same with the clunking sounds from the rear when i turn hard.

NemeGuero
05-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Its hard to tell without riding in the car or a better description of whats going on.

what kind of suspension is on the car?

what you described was something floating in the rear end, now its steering?
The jerk of turning the car hard into the corner is making something in the back of the car off balance, creating that roll you felt.

wangan_cruiser
05-14-2007, 01:18 AM
wonderin why picking up a 200k car but doesnt want to spend too much on it. if u buy a used car expect the worse that u would spend more money than the price of your car.

but yea i would say change any suspicious part that causing that problem. replacing them with a new parts is not that bad and itll make your car last long

JohnJohn86
05-14-2007, 02:49 PM
I think I might have a similar problem. I like to describe it like a sudden gust of wind while turning. I drive an S13, but the problem is also the same with the clunking sounds from the rear when i turn hard.

That sounds like a good description of my problem.

sTalnOut
05-14-2007, 06:02 PM
how is your suspension ? mayb your suspension is wearin out on you,im having the same problem as well and i found out my stock shocks in the rear are no good n when i do hard turns itll jst sit on my springs so that might cause it or maybe check your subframe bushing if the car has over 200k that might be a prob. most of the s14 has that problem especially with that many miles.

JohnJohn86
05-14-2007, 06:25 PM
how is your suspension ? mayb your suspension is wearin out on you,im having the same problem as well and i found out my stock shocks in the rear are no good n when i do hard turns itll jst sit on my springs so that might cause it or maybe check your subframe bushing if the car has over 200k that might be a prob. most of the s14 has that problem especially with that many miles.

My car is sitting on some Tanabe lowering spring and some old KYB shocks. I will change them to see what happen. I added sub frame collar bushing and no difference.

Thx for the inpuy guys!

Project-Mike
05-15-2007, 01:19 AM
hmm....i'm actually pretty sure that it isn't a suspension problem. i mean...it doesn't feel like it. Pretty sure either aleinment, tires, or suspension arms....=(