PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting EGR... OK to drive 300miles/race with?

gotta240
05-10-2007, 07:33 PM
I have a stumbling(feels like running out of gas) problem at freeway speeds and when coming to a stop. I've replaced EVERYTHING possibly related to this problem, without fixing it!!!

Only thing left to try is a clogged EGR. Is it ok to disconnect the vaccume to the egr, drive 300 miles, and a full race/track day with the egr disconnected???

Suggestions on cleaning clogged ports?

4thHorse
05-10-2007, 07:39 PM
What do you mean by replaced everything, what is everything

projectRDM
05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
An unplugged EGR won't hurt anything.

As far as cleaning it, the best way is to remove the valve and the BPT valve and soak both in carb cleaner overnight. Blow out all related vacuum hoses and replace as required.

gotta240
05-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the reply R240na... Seems like you always come through on technical questions.

Is there a way to do it without removing the manifold?

Also, my shop teacher said that my car may PING with the EGR disconnected. Is there any possibility of pinging(which i wouldn't be able to hear because my car is kinda loud and i don't have great hearing)

projectRDM
05-11-2007, 12:46 AM
On the exhaust side you can plug with an AIV delete from the dealer, or any M24x1.25 (IIRC) plug. Intake side, buy the blockoff plate found on Ebay, or cap the pipe off once it's removed from the valve.

The 'pinging' he's suggesting may be possible in theory, but he's also probably used to older cars with preheaters that ran ragged lean anyway and would detonate once that added recirculation was removed.

gotta240
05-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Sorry for my horrible descriptions, but here it goes.

On the rear, left of the motor there are two brass-like, flying saucer looking things. There is vaccume line going between the two. My shop teacher told me to disconnect the vaccume line between the two, and put a screw in the vaccume hose.

Will that work for saturdays race day? (200 miles each way plus a couple hours on the track)

myriad
05-11-2007, 07:40 AM
My EGR is in a box somewhere in the garage and my car words fine *knock on wood* You should be fine without it in there.

Phlip
05-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Sorry for my horrible descriptions, but here it goes.

On the rear, left of the motor there are two brass-like, flying saucer looking things. There is vaccume line going between the two. My shop teacher told me to disconnect the vaccume line between the two, and put a screw in the vaccume hose.

Will that work for saturdays race day? (200 miles each way plus a couple hours on the track)

He instructed the removal of mine, and I just got home from a road trip, 350+ miles each way with some bouts of well over 100MPH for extended periods, you'll be fine

gotta240
05-11-2007, 08:06 AM
:2f2f: :hsdance: Thanks a lot guys. Sorry for needing things spelled out, but you're saying that hose i disconnected and blocked off is an "ok" way to bypass it? I now understand completly that i'll be fine without an egr, but just making sure that what i did will indeed bypass it.

Again, thank you. This is bringing some peace of mind as i leave in 18hrs and counting!!!