PDA

View Full Version : Few Random Newbie Questions =(

hellllo
05-09-2007, 10:27 PM
So I started driving my brother's car daily, not familiar with the car yet. its a SR20det 240sx. Here's a few questions.

1)When I'm driving and slowing down (easing on the gas) it makes a slight pop noise through the exhaust. I've heard it backfire before (very loud) but that only happens when shifting gears or woting and letting go of gas. This happens when slowing down and taking my foot away from the gas. I don't know how misfires sound like (i get paranoid of car problems) so I was just curious if this is one or just a weak backfire.

2)Is it normal for the tachometer to have a slight delay in response when i gas? My boost gauge (vacuum) responds the very instant i press on the gas, but the RPM gauge has like a .5 sec delay or so when revving. Normal? If not how can i fix this?

3)Electrical question. My boost gauge, HUD, corner lights stopped working. I've check all the fuses it could possiblty be, none are blown and also I've check grouding and its fine. It was working before but stopped working after I switched the bumpers (signal lights etc. too) What else can it be?

4)I think my brother rebult the engine just a year ago but it started giving out white smoke or blue. So I've done a compression test and it read 140 across. Is it too low? I also did a leakdown and it read all above 83 on 90 psi.

Sorry for the random questions, but I'm just getting familiar with the car and I know alot of you are experienced. These are not searchable questions =(

Thanks in advance

hellllo
05-10-2007, 04:26 AM
Anyone? :aw: :-/

drifting_changed_mylife
05-10-2007, 05:07 AM
hey..

well the back firing is pretty normal, dont worry about that. it usualy happenes when ur have a turbo car and u run rich (more than needed gas), i dont think u need to worry about it, personaly i think it sounds cool!

#2 ur rpm tac is delayed???? u got me thier :o\

#3 check the electrical wires that run from the guage to the power. my guage stopped working after it got pinced. if everything seems fine look to the conections, see if they are firm. the guage i have has a fuse right on the back of the thing, that can also be the problem

#4 u need to ask ur brother what parts he used on the car if it was rebuilt. low compression or high compression pistons things like that and then i can help u more with that

good luck! --

hellllo
05-10-2007, 01:26 PM
=\ no more bro, i have his car, thats why i'm asking all these questions. yea i couldnt find any info on tachometer delaying a bit. still stumped on hud, boost gauge, corner lights not working >_<

shift_drift
05-12-2007, 09:58 AM
where'd you buy the compression tester from? alot of the cheaper ones are very inaccurate, so a good indication of condition is the variance from cylinder to cylinder. if all the numbers were around 140, give or take a couple psi, then I think you're fine.