PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel shake above 60mph ....??

nisans13turbo
05-07-2007, 10:46 AM
I've searched and did not find any similar symptoms to mine.
Recently, I installed aftermarket tension rods, rear upper control arm and had the whole car aligned. The car also has brand new tires all around. Now, when cruising anywhere between 0-55 it feels great but after 55mph my steering wheel would shake for about 10seconds hard but I do not hear any sort of clunking or rattling noise and goes away. After about 1 minutes of driving my steering wheel starts to shake again for 10-15 seconds. Almost feels like its repeating it self. Also when im braking at 40mph or 60mph my brake pedal doesnt shake, so my rotors and brake are fine.

Any suggestions to my problem???

tknbkthrsdy4anfg
05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Most likely wheel bearings.
This is probably stating the obvious, but did you get the wheels balanced with the new tires?

nisans13turbo
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Most likely wheel bearings.
This is probably stating the obvious, but did you get the wheels balanced with the new tires?

Yes, the tires are new and all 4 were balanced.

You think it could be my wheel bearing? What are some of the symptoms or bad wheel bearing other then a whistling sound.

tknbkthrsdy4anfg
05-07-2007, 10:55 AM
lift up each corner and rock the wheel back and forth front to back

my car used to shake really violently at certain speeds, alignment didnt fix it, new wheels and tires didnt fix it. So then I replaced my wheelbrearings when I went 5 lug, good to go.

nisans13turbo
05-07-2007, 10:59 AM
sounds good, i will try that tonight. Btw i sometimes hear a whistling sound coming from my front wheel.

thanks

tknbkthrsdy4anfg
05-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Almost definetly that then

Canaduh
05-07-2007, 12:18 PM
By the sounds of it, it is your wheel bearing, but also blown struts could cause this also, but i'm assuming you're on coilovers of some sort.

CylonFrakker
05-07-2007, 12:56 PM
check your tie rods also

silnismo
05-07-2007, 01:30 PM
+1 for wheel bearings,

same thing happened to me, swaped the front bearings and no more vibrations. then after i swapped my shocks for agx's steering wheel felt alot more solid.

tknbkthrsdy4anfg
05-07-2007, 01:32 PM
+1 for wheel bearings,

same thing happened to me, swaped the front bearings and no more vibrations. then after i swapped my shocks for agx's steering wheel felt alot more solid.
Amen brother.

mine felt the same way, till they blew..

DRIFTER-M
05-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I think it will probably be your wheel bearings as well. Thats the most common thing to go wrong on cars with the symptoms you described. So as others have said, check them and see if that is the case.
If not I would suggest Tire problems or brake rotors, and when you said you brake and you pedal doesn't shake, I have never had that happen with low brakes. My wheel will just rock alittle bit.

CylonFrakker
05-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Sounds more like a wheel bearing play that sometimes occurs with wheel bearings is play. Too much play can allow steering wander (which may be mistaken for worn steering components or the need for an alignment why i was also mentioning to check your tierods).

One way to check wheel bearing play is to raise the wheels off the ground and rock the tires in an out while watching for any looseness. As a rule, there should be no play on most FWD cars, but up to 0.010 in. of play in the front bearings may be acceptable on RWD applications with adjustable bearings. If there's play in sealed bearings, replacement is necessary. But if the bearings are the adjustable variety, a simple adjustment might be all that's needed. In any event, "loose" wheel bearings should not be adjusted until the bearings have been removed and inspected for possible damage.
Bearings don't loosen up under normal use. So if the bearings are loose, the bearings may be worn, the hub nut may have backed off (a broken cotter pin or retainer), or the bearings were not adjusted properly in the first place.
Spinning the tires by hand is another way to check for bearing problems. Some brake drag is normal, but any noise from the bearings or roughness calls for further inspection.

nisans13turbo
05-07-2007, 10:56 PM
ok, I just got done replacing my front wheel bearings. Before I replaced the bearings, I tried to shake the wheels with the old bearings and it had little play, not sure if it was more then .010 of play but it did move a little bit. After putting my buddies working front bearings hub on, it had similar plays also. Maybe my old bearings had internal damage and thats why it only happens at high speed and hopefullie this will solve my issue. Stay tuned, I will update this after I take it for a drive and see if that fixed my problem.

I will keep this updated. Thanks again.

Raysurc
05-08-2007, 01:15 AM
i have the same problem. my car shakes at 75+ mph. my friend looked at my car and told me he was most definitely sure it was my hub and bearing. just a dummy question, but the hub is different from the rotor, correct? anyways, how much would it be to replace each part?

silviakid2790
05-08-2007, 06:13 AM
i know you said you got the tires balanced but my car did the same thing so i got them checked again and they were off...... just a thought

silnismo
05-08-2007, 08:49 AM
i have the same problem. my car shakes at 75+ mph. my friend looked at my car and told me he was most definitely sure it was my hub and bearing. just a dummy question, but the hub is different from the rotor, correct? anyways, how much would it be to replace each part?

usually when they sell wheel bearings they also come with 5 lug hubs, mine did and costed my about 300 for the front brand new.

Rotors sit ontop of the hub and is part of your braking system.....

Raysurc
05-08-2007, 03:51 PM
usually when they sell wheel bearings they also come with 5 lug hubs, mine did and costed my about 300 for the front brand new.

Rotors sit ontop of the hub and is part of your braking system.....

where did you get your hub and bearing at at that price?

nisans13turbo
05-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Ok, Everyone! I Finally Solve My Solution And Thanks To Zilvia And Definetly The Zilvia Members.

The Whole Headache Was My Wheel Bearings On My Front. Yes, My Dam Wheel Bearing.

Thanks Again!

tknbkthrsdy4anfg
05-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Awesome, good job dood!