PDA

View Full Version : boost leak?

oc240sr
05-01-2007, 06:00 PM
I believe that i have a boost leak and i was wondering if this was a sign of it: i loose power in top end and my boost goes down slowly like 2 psi also just today i saw my hot pipe and bov had like grease or oil and was wondering if that was a sign of a boost leak. 2nd how would i find where its leaking from if so.

hwy1
05-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Bad turbo seals will cause oil leakage in the intercooler system. I would suspect that the turbo needs to be rebuilt.

SDS13COUPE
05-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Here is a easy, and inexpensive to make a boost leak tester.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

Z U L8R
05-02-2007, 08:27 AM
if you're running a t25 at 14psi, that's what they do, they'll peak 14psi but they won't hold it, as your rpms climb your boost will go down slightly, by redline you might be making 11 or 12 psi. recommend bigger turbo =]

the symptom of a boost leak would be, car drives fine, but at soon as you boost, or when you reach a certain boost level (depending on the size of the leak), it starts sputtering and bucking.

Silverbullet
05-02-2007, 08:47 AM
if you have a boost leak, your power would completely cut out like you hit some type of fuel cut.

to check for boost leaks, turn on your car and spray water on all areas that it could leak from. If it is infact leaking, you will see bubbles.

ESone3
05-02-2007, 09:13 AM
thanks for this info. I thought I was getting a boost leak as well. When I hit 10 lbs, it drops back down to 7 and holds. It won't hold at 10. This is on a stock t25.

MELLO*SOS
05-02-2007, 10:31 AM
to check for boost leaks, turn on your car and spray water on all areas that it could leak from. If it is infact leaking, you will see bubbles.

How would that work if the intake pipes aren't pressurized?

You need to build a pressure tester like sds13coupe linked to above... Then attach it to your hotpipe or compressor inlet and pressurize your intake system to 10-15psi. Then listen for leaks or spray soapy water on the connections. Some areas to look at are your silicone couplers, TPS/TB Shaft seal, IM gaskets, vac lines, injector orings and FPR.

i saw my hot pipe and bov had like grease or oil and was wondering if that was a sign of a boost leak.

Do you have a catch can? That oil is most likely from the PCV system.. Otherwise you may have turbo oil seal going out.

oc240sr
05-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Im boosting like 9 psi just with fmic 3" downpipe and elbow but i think that i might have a leak.