PDA

View Full Version : Dim Dash Cluster Light

Ragnarok043
04-29-2007, 11:29 PM
before everybody lines up to ripe me a new asshole i did use the holy search button. anyways my car is completely stock with an analog cluster, ive checked the fuse, swapped out the bulbs with LEDs and its still dim. its actually been dim ever since ive got the car, you cant even tell the lights are on unless its completely dark. so can anybody shed some light on this?

zugoi
04-29-2007, 11:38 PM
did you ever check the switch that controls the brightness? Maybe its broken and stuck on dim and it wont go brighter cuz the switch broken.

ALTRNTV
04-29-2007, 11:38 PM
There's a button you press either up or down on the left side of the steering column, near where the pop-up button is. That adjusts the brightness.

Vision Garage
04-29-2007, 11:51 PM
There's a button you press either up or down on the left side of the steering column, near where the pop-up button is. That adjusts the brightness.

I thought it was a circular thing that moved left to right.

Ragnarok043
04-29-2007, 11:52 PM
the dimmer switch works, i can turn it up and down. but even at the brightest setting its really dim, could the dimmer switch still be messed up.

ALTRNTV
04-30-2007, 12:04 AM
I thought it was a circular thing that moved left to right.The knob to adjust the clock?

Vision Garage
04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
no the dimmer. Maybe its an s14 thing.

ALTRNTV
04-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Maybe, but I don't remember, I haven't had an s14 in awhile.

the dimmer switch works, i can turn it up and down. but even at the brightest setting its really dim, could the dimmer switch still be messed up.Does it actually change brightness when you press it up or down? If it doesn't, try unplugging the switch and putting it back on.

Ragnarok043
04-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Maybe, but I don't remember, I haven't had an s14 in awhile.

Does it actually change brightness when you press it up or down? If it doesn't, try unplugging the switch and putting it back on.

yeah the brightness does change. anybody know how to bypass the dimmer, it doesnt seem to be a typical potentiometer dimmer switch where you it adjusts the resistance.

Ragnarok043
04-30-2007, 12:30 AM
i just remembered something, when i was changing the bulbs today. i think the alarm illumination wire is tapped into the dimmer switch harness, could that possibly be the cause of the problem. even though its doesnt drain any power from it, only powers it to signal the alarm.

ixfxi
05-01-2007, 12:47 AM
1) Swapping to plug-in LED retrofit bulbs will result in lights that are MORE DIM than stock.
2) Install STOCK BULBS
3) It should work, if not.. pull off the front cover and verify that the bulbs are fully illuminating. If they are not, trace your wiring and find out why.

Peaceout sukka
Mike / ClearCorners.Com