PDA

View Full Version : Oh carp, more car problems.

misnomer
08-10-2002, 12:49 AM
Well, went out to start up my car this morning. It turns over, but I let off the starter too soon and it doesn't start. Hit the starter again, and I've got nothing. Feels like a dead battery, but I get no tick, no nothing. So, living on a hill and all, I push the car to the edge and pop the clutch. She fires up. Let off the gas and she idles out and dies. Roll a bit more, pop the clutch, keep the RPMS above 1k, and we're all good. Drive around a bit, come home, let it sit and idle for 30 minutes or so. Kill it, work on my power window for a bit. Try to start it up to go elsewhere, still nothing. Check fuses, all seem in order. So, I push it back down the hill, drive around for another half hour, pull back home, kill the engine and promptly try to restart it - nothing. I figger bad battery, alternator, or starter. Trying to rule out the battery, I dropped in a good one from one of our other cars. Plug it in, no powe to any accessories. When I hit the starter, I hear a strong "whirring" sound, like the starter is spinning but not biting anything. I hadn't heard this before when I tried to start. Check fuses, I blew the alternator fuse (wish me luck finding one, even the dealership had to special order it). So that's where I am. I'll need to check to see what other fuses I blew. Anybody have any ideas on what I could try to narrow this down? I'm REALLY hoping it's just bad battery that blew the fuse, but that is a frikkin' 75 amp fuse. . . Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Sorry for the long post

Cliff notes are for pansies.

DuffMan
08-10-2002, 02:52 AM
Sounds like a short is draining you battery and eating fuses.

Good luck. (in a non sarcastic way)