PDA

View Full Version : :::Im having ignition trouble with my redtop, please help me.:::

Jamison182
04-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey whats up. Well ive been having some trouble getting the car running since yesterday. Its a 90' S13 with REDTOP sr20det.
I tried to wire a remote fan switch from the IGN SW fuse(FL30A), and it blew the fuse. So I removed the fan switch and replaced the fuse, and now the starter will not crank using the ignition. However I was able to start it a few times by jumping the starter directly(key in on position, Then placed a screwdriver on the terminals to make it crank). Here is where it gets tricky....

-I have spark and fuel(checked using CAS method)
-I have No blown fuses
-Checked voltages on the ignition switch...3 were good and the other 2 had power while the key is being turned...
-I replaced the Relay inhibitor with a brand new one
-I replaced 1 relay at the inside fuse box(lower of the 2 blue ones)
-Starter is getting plenty of volts
-I replaced the EGI relay b/c for some reason it was getting alot warmer than the other relays.
-I have looked at the obvious grounds
-Battery is good
-plugs and coils are good
-I assume CAS is good.(I removed it and turned it by hand and the plugs all fired great.)

The car was running as of this morning. It will crank if power is applied directly to the starter, but will not fire. Im stumped. Can anyone help?

Sileighty_85
04-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Starter Solienoid Fried? Check for power at the solenoid When you used the screw driver are you applying power to the Solienoid or the motor?

Jamison182
04-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Starter Solienoid Fried? Check for power at the solenoid When you used the screw driver are you applying power to the Solienoid or the motor?

I applied it to the solenoid. But the starter seems to work fine still. It will crank if I place a power wire to it...Now for some reason when I try and crank the engine, the EGI relay gets very warm. I replaced it with a new one, but it still heats up when I try and crank it...wtf