PDA

View Full Version : RB25DET Series 1 & Series 2

zoomswimmer
04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
I've been looking around and it is just confusing me more.
What is the difference between the Series 1 & Series 2 RB25DETs?
Some people said that the Series 1 is out of the R33
and the Series 2 is out of the R34?
Also other people have said that the series 1 and 2 are out of the R33 and the RB25DET with the neo head is completely different.
What is the RB25DET type 2? is it the same as the series 2? Some people this so, other think that they aren't. Some people haven't heard of it some think it is the neo, some do think that it exists.

Also, how much harder is it to install a NEO into a S13? I've heard that is it almost the same difficulty as the regular RB25DET, but the clutch is different (i think that it is a pull type instead of a push type) which makes it harder.

Thanks

***Don't post anything unless you are absolutely sure***

Z U L8R
04-25-2007, 11:24 AM
the series one has an ignitor that sits on the valve cover cover, it has 2 green relays that sit in the engine's harness, one for the ecu, the other for the ignitor/coils, and it shares the same coil packs as the rb20 and 26's.

the series 2 has individual ignitors built into each coil pack, which is also why it only has 1 green relay in the wiring harness which is for the ecu. as far as the dash plug it doesn't have a thick red wire that if you're following someone elses instructions on wiring it, you'll be like wtf mine doesn't have that, don't worry cause if you follow everything else the same then you're fine, it's just like the series 1.

i believe r33's came with both series 1 on early and 2 on latter models. i'd agree with "type 2" being the "neo" rb25, if it wasn't coming from a jack ass and the guy saying "type 2" knows wtf a series 2 is to say that's not a series 1 or 2, that's a "type 2. i've never done anything on an rb25 neo, but i want to say they didn't come in r33's but r34's, and that the ecu's have the big white plugs that look like s14 ka's ecu plugs. where as the series 1 and 2 are the blue one's that resemble an sr13 sr20's. all i've heard about the neo's is that they're covered in plastic, like if you pop the hood on a new 350z, you gotta take off all the plastic cosmetics to get to the components.

pull or push type clutchs don't make it any different, you still need to give the slave cylinder fluid from the clutch master. how the mechanism actually operates is internal inbetween the tranny and block. as long as you have mounts and a driveshaft with the big nissan yoke that's the right length, the only issues you'll have, you'll have to cross when you get there.

Sileighty_85
04-25-2007, 01:22 PM
This kinda sheds some light on my buddies swap, he picked up an R-33 RB25 Front clip I met him after he dropped it in the S chassis, I worked on a few of these so I was helping him with the wiring and noticed he didnt have an ignitor chip mounted on top of the center cover the only thing there was bunch of wires and a cannon plug. I'll See if i can get a pic but it will be a few days

Z U L8R
04-25-2007, 01:40 PM
sil 85 ^ , just look at the coil packs and see if they have a little hump on the top of them, if so then it's just a series 2, the only difference is it doesn't need an ignitor aka power transistor unit to amplify the ecu's signal to each coil, in order to activate the coil, that's why it doesn't need a coil relay and that's why there's no thick red wire on the dash plug for that. everything is the same though.

when i did my friend's series 2 in his 240z we actually had a pad coil pack on cylinder 1 and the rest didn't look that great either, and since the series 2 coil packs are different, they're not as common and readily available aka expensive. so i wired in a 300zx ignitor (ptu) and a buick grand national coil pack and ran 8.5mm msd spark plug wires to each of the cylinders (total cost was like $200 for all the parts) , converting it all to a "wasted spark" set up like the Aussie's with 800hp+ do ^_^ GANGSTA!, plus rb25's with shiny top mount turbo's and spark plug wires going to each cylinder looks sexy ooOOoo BUKAKE!! @@