PDA

View Full Version : rack & pinion steering

racer98
04-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Question about S13 Vs.S14 Rack.

Will a S14 rack work into a S13 ?

Jung918
04-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Yes. As long as you use the the s14 rack bushings.

S13Dreamer
04-24-2007, 12:06 PM
What is the difference between s13 vs s14?

I know the S13 vs s13 Hicas is different. The Hicas supposedly has quicker steering response.

Sir
04-24-2007, 01:02 PM
no difference. Only Hicas is different

projectRDM
04-24-2007, 01:19 PM
HICAS rack - 14.9:1 ratio.
non HICAS - 17:1 ratio.

The S13/S14 racks interchange as long as you use the matching bushings.

gotta240
04-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Sorry for the stupid question, but why don't people use the hicas rack more often for drifting situations?

A lower ratio would mean lock to lock would be faster and less movement...right?

racer98
04-24-2007, 06:12 PM

isint the S14 have stronger tie rod ends ????/

what is the ratio on the S14 rack??? same ????

is it possibile to use the Hicas in a non hicas car????

projectRDM
04-24-2007, 06:23 PM

You've been here for four years and you're asking this dribble?

S14s have larger diameter tie rods, not any stronger though, and they're interchangeable with the S13.
Non HICAS racks are 17:1. Since both S13 and S14 chassis were available with HICAS in Japan, that should tell you that the 17:1 is for both non HICAS models. I thought that was pretty clear, but I'm not a moron either.
And yes, the HICAS rack is identical to a non HICAS except for the inner gear, so it's a direct swap. Tons of people run them, myself included. Again, information that we've discussed since the internet was born.

Jung918
04-25-2007, 01:19 AM
You've been here for four years and you're asking this dribble?

S14s have larger diameter tie rods, not any stronger though, and they're interchangeable with the S13.
Non HICAS racks are 17:1. Since both S13 and S14 chassis were available with HICAS in Japan, that should tell you that the 17:1 is for both non HICAS models. I thought that was pretty clear, but I'm not a moron either.
And yes, the HICAS rack is identical to a non HICAS except for the inner gear, so it's a direct swap. Tons of people run them, myself included. Again, information that we've discussed since the internet was born.

I'm actually still a sperm. Can you regurgitate it to me when I hit that stupid egg and jump out the uterus?

SochBAT
04-25-2007, 01:31 AM
HICAS = quicker response. Less movement on your behalf, more movement on the steering.

Non HICAS = Lower response, slower movement. Sloppy driving, not as quick to steering input.

Buy a HICAS rack for 200, send the core back, 100bucks rebate.

Sileighty_85
04-25-2007, 08:46 AM
I dont think the S14 ever came with Hicas in Japan....Or at least I never saw one with Hicas. Do S14's come with Hicas here???

projectRDM
04-25-2007, 09:02 AM
I dont think the S14 ever came with Hicas in Japan....Or at least I never saw one with Hicas. Do S14's come with Hicas here???

They do not here, but they do in other countries. I've seen an S14 subframe before with HICAS, and Cusco sells an eliminator kit specifically for the S14 chassis.

irax
04-25-2007, 10:49 AM
HICAS = quicker response. Less movement on your behalf, more movement on the steering.

Non HICAS = Lower response, slower movement. Sloppy driving, not as quick to steering input.

Buy a HICAS rack for 200, send the core back, 100bucks rebate.

thats the reason why i have 25 'hicas' cores but none of them are hicas.... dont send in a non-hicas core for a hicas rack. you will ruin it for everyone else. btw you don't want a $100 rack, or any autozone/kragen/chucks rebuilt parts.

gotta240
04-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Just curious, what's wrong with autozone/etc. racks? It's basically just a couple gears and seals... Do they actually go out that often?

nicku
02-25-2008, 10:53 PM

by the matching bushings, are there two on the steering rack?

if those are the ones....arent they the same between s13 and s14?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Energy-Suspension-Steering-rack-bushing-240sx-300zx_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33627QQihZ012QQit emZ220205991263QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

these bushings are from touge factory...and it says will work on ALL 240SX MODELS

I am kinda confused

projectRDM
02-25-2008, 11:05 PM
They're wrong. The round bushing is different between S13 and S14. The ES kit only works with Z32/S13. If you put it on an S14 you'll have a nice gap all the way around the bushing, effectively eliminating the gain you were looking for. Only Nismo makes a correct S14 passenger side bushing.

nicku
02-25-2008, 11:11 PM
so right now I have s13, and i am planning to change to s14 rack because mine is really bad. So What should I buy for the bushings

Rayne
02-26-2008, 01:27 AM
so right now I have s13, and i am planning to change to s14 rack because mine is really bad. So What should I buy for the bushings

S14 steering rack bushings.

Rayne
02-26-2008, 01:40 AM
thats the reason why i have 25 'hicas' cores but none of them are hicas.... dont send in a non-hicas core for a hicas rack. you will ruin it for everyone else. btw you don't want a $100 rack, or any autozone/kragen/chucks rebuilt parts.

In addition to what Irax was saying....

here are the part numbers for the hicas rack....

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/images/s13/s13_492-2.gif

and here are the part numbers for the non hicas rack.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/images/s13/s13_492-1.gif

Compare the part numbers between the two steering racks and order the part numbers that are different. Both steering racks are almost identical except for five or six internal parts.

S14DB
02-26-2008, 01:43 AM

Super Hicas(4ws) Came on the K's Areo and the Q's Aero in Japan.

racepar1
02-26-2008, 01:59 AM

S-13, S-14, and Z-32 inner tie rod ends are completely interchangeable. It is the outer tie rod ends that are not. The cones have different angles I believe. The SPL strengthened tie rod kit for the s-13 uses z-32 inner tie rods.

Just curious, what's wrong with autozone/etc. racks? It's basically just a couple gears and seals... Do they actually go out that often?

ANYTHING that is the in-house autozone, pep-boys, kragen, etc..... brand sucks ass! They can re-build almost nothing correctly. If you did get a parts-store brand steering rack the boots would most likely rip, the seals would most likely leak, and the cheap ass inner tie rods that they use would most likely wear out twice as fast. Any part that is half the price of another comparable part is most likley crap. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR 100% OF THE TIME!

drift freaq
02-26-2008, 02:18 AM
Hicas racks rule and yes I own one and yes its freshly rebuilt. I had a good one but I found a good rebuilder and had them rebuild it for me because they did it at a wholesale price. I can echo Irax's statement about People turning in non Hicas racks trying to get Hicas racks. Currently its not going to happen. In fact several of the parts stores listing Hicas racks on their books will wind up selling you a Non Hicas rack without even realizing it. If you don't know the tell tale signs well then you can't identify them. They pretty much look the same.
Yes the qucker ratio rocks for drifting or grip its a lot more responsive.

Hashiriya415
02-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Why is the inner tie rod and the spacer different item #
I plan on replacing my S13 non hicas rack but i want to keep my tie rods that I have now cuz they are Kazama.

In addition to what Irax was saying....

here are the part numbers for the hicas rack....

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/images/s13/s13_492-2.gif

and here are the part numbers for the non hicas rack.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/images/s13/s13_492-1.gif

Compare the part numbers between the two steering racks and order the part numbers that are different. Both steering racks are almost identical except for five or six internal parts.

nicku
02-28-2008, 12:24 AM
I have s13 non hicas. I am changing to s14 rack and pinion. So I need the s14 rack bushings. If I am planning to change the tie rods at the same time. According to previous post, the inner tie rods are the same, doesnt matter s13 or s14. The outer tierods should I get s14 or s13?

S14DB
02-28-2008, 06:23 AM
If you don't know the hybrids get the inner and outer rods for your chassis.

projectRDM
02-28-2008, 09:00 AM
I have s13 non hicas. I am changing to s14 rack and pinion. So I need the s14 rack bushings. If I am planning to change the tie rods at the same time. According to previous post, the inner tie rods are the same, doesnt matter s13 or s14. The outer tierods should I get s14 or s13?

Wrong, you didn't read thoroughly. The tie rods are not the same. S13 rods are a smaller diameter. The rod end has to match the rod itself, so S13+S13, or S14+S14. The Z32 and Z33 will work with the S14 rods, but not S13.

And I'd refrain from using inner and outer terms, even though every parts place does that it's only more confusing, because it's sounds like they're the same part either way.

Tie rod (inner)
Tie rod end (outer)

nicku
02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
cool...thanks man

SicBastard
02-28-2008, 09:44 AM
so who stocks s14 hicas racks?and what are the subtle exterior differences between s14 hicas and non hicas?

fbiphil
02-28-2008, 10:10 AM
OK, SORT OF on topic.
I have a RHD rack that leaks like crazy. I bought another used one off a clip someone had locally, but I'd like to have it rebuilt before putting it in- it's almost 20 years old, regardless of whether it "only has 45k miles" on it!
Who would you recommend to get this one rebuilt? Or, does someone sell RHD racks with a core exchange? Any help would be appreciated!
Heck, while I'm shooting for the stars, how about a line on a rebuilt RHD Hicas rack?!

drift freaq
02-28-2008, 10:33 AM
OK, SORT OF on topic.
I have a RHD rack that leaks like crazy. I bought another used one off a clip someone had locally, but I'd like to have it rebuilt before putting it in- it's almost 20 years old, regardless of whether it "only has 45k miles" on it!
Who would you recommend to get this one rebuilt? Or, does someone sell RHD racks with a core exchange? Any help would be appreciated!
Heck, while I'm shooting for the stars, how about a line on a rebuilt RHD Hicas rack?!

Finding a RHD hicas rack is not that hard. Just look for any Type X Black top clip and it will have the Hicas rack. Or even S14 SR clips because the Hicas was available on S14's in Japan as well.

All type X's came with Super hicas. As far as getting it rebuilt goes just find a local rack rebuilder and have them do it. Most of the time a rack rebuild consists of seals and whatnot. If the rack itself is toast then its useless because worn out gears are just that worn out gears. remove and replace. Though most racks that need rebuilds the gears are fine its all about bearings and seals.

fbiphil
02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I'll probably just stick with the standard rack, then. Didn't realize that you could just take it to a local place- thanks for the tip!

singlecamslam
05-25-2008, 01:40 PM
sorry to bump an old thread, but how would you know if what you're buying is a hicas rack? Is there any trick to find out just by looking at it? Or do you have to actually spin it. I want to see if the Nissan dealer has these and for what price.

The ROMAN
05-25-2008, 06:52 PM
You would have to spin it and even then it's hard to tell. Just don't order one from steeringrack.com because they'll send you a regular one and not respond to any phone calls or emails.

When I looked around the internet for a reman hicas one they averaged 3-450, dealer is probably more.