PDA

View Full Version : Question about driveshaft center bearing cushion

djtrickz
04-22-2007, 04:41 PM
its cracking all around but is still pretty intact. I'm just wondering if it will be ok for a while or does it need attention asap because i'm low on cash. thanks in advance for your opinion!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g90/djtrickz/cars/P1030958Large.jpg

idlafie
04-22-2007, 05:40 PM
What year is your S14? How many miles on the driveline? Stock? KA Turbo? or SR powered?? Provided it's stock and you don't abuse the hell out of it, I don't think you have much to worry about. I've never heard of anyone having a driveline fail due to a center bearing cushion falling apart. The clutch / tranny are more proned to go out than that center bearing cushion.
Anyhow, hope this helps...
ID

djtrickz
04-23-2007, 12:18 AM
thanks yah i was thinking the same thing. i was just worried because i just put a j30 w/abs vlsd in and it pushed the shaft toward the front more and i caught that one forza show one time and this guy's driveshaft broke into the cockpit :ugh: but anyways the car is 1995, almost 200k mi, no abs, stock ka with just pulleys.

youngmanvr4
04-23-2007, 12:26 AM
I agree. I think your ok.

reaxion
04-23-2007, 12:47 AM
on my buddys 325i, that rubber wore out. one day he rolled into work and asked me to take his car for a test drive. I went to shift and BANG CLUNK BANG BANG BANG from underneath the car under the back seat. I was like "WTF...!?"

g6civcx
04-23-2007, 04:56 AM
I'm just wondering if it will be ok for a while or does it need attention asap because i'm low on cash.

I would err on the side of caution and say you need to address it ASAP. If something goes wrong, you are the only one who has to deal with the consequences.

The center carrier bearing is very prone to failure on the stock 2-piece propeller shaft. Make a call to the Drive Shaft Shop and get yourself a nice 1-piece and eliminate that center carrier bearing.

youngmanvr4
04-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I bet if he wasn't low on cash he would.

Spoolpigeon
04-23-2007, 09:12 AM
i noticed that mine was the same way when i was under the car pulling the motor out. you could move the driveshaft around quite abit with just your hand. So i picked up some urethane and filled it up. It set up nicely and the squishey-ness is all gone. The car isn't together yet, but i'll let you know how it turned out.

P.S. the tube of urethane was $8, that's pretty low-buck

djtrickz
04-23-2007, 03:39 PM
I bet if he wasn't low on cash he would.

you're right that was gonna be my next step, but the eurethane seems like a good idea too. let me know how it goes!

MrMigs
04-23-2007, 03:47 PM
i noticed that mine was the same way when i was under the car pulling the motor out. you could move the driveshaft around quite abit with just your hand. So i picked up some urethane and filled it up. It set up nicely and the squishey-ness is all gone. The car isn't together yet, but i'll let you know how it turned out.

P.S. the tube of urethane was $8, that's pretty low-buck

Where did you buy that urethane from?

Max_PSi
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
I don't think your in trouble, yet. Do you have any clunking noises when you make turns, or does the DS resonate at certain RPM's? If it does then I would start saving, if not I'd say your ok, just make it your next mod.

My DS is shot, crazy resonating noises, and you can here the clunk from the DS flexing when I make right hand turns in particular. Just got my steel driveshaft from the Driveshaft shop today, will be installing very soon. :D

s13silvia123
04-23-2007, 06:48 PM
mines like that youre still ok man its the the wear and tear over the years

Spoolpigeon
04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Where did you buy that urethane from?

i got it from advance auto, but any car store should have this stuff. its called 'window weld' for installing windshieds and stuff. It hardens pretty good yet still slightly flexible. the only thing that sucks is that in only comes in a caulking tube, so you have to have a caulking gun to use it