PDA

View Full Version : Please watch this CEL VIDEO- I count 77 & 132(impossible?)

gotta240
04-19-2007, 10:36 PM
i can't figure this out. I am trying to read my CEL code(by turning ignition to on, turning ecu screw clockwise, the counterclockwise.) The codes that I read are 77 and 132. I can't find a code 132 anywhere...

Please watch the video and tell me what code you get? Just fast forward to 30 seconds...

thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgMh4ffJ-l8

bardabe
04-19-2007, 10:41 PM
yep you are correct. 77 and 132. (looks like it)

240silvia
04-19-2007, 10:43 PM
yea I got the same thing. Weird dude, I've never heard anything about code 132.

gotta240
04-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Crap... ANYONE!?!?!

Where is R240NA!?!? lol.

ladiesman8527
04-20-2007, 08:28 AM
are u using an S14 ecu by any chance? on an S14 ecu, code 77 is rear O2 sensor.

EDIT: i just did some quick searching and found that Code 132 is really 1302. there's a short hesitation that counts as a zero.

the thread i found this in says that Code 1302 is Barometric solenoid/MAP sensor. as for where or what exactly that is, i cant tell you cause i dont have a clue.

you can credit OptionZero with this info as he's the one that found this out.

gotta240
04-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Yes. This is off of an obd2 1996, 5spd 240sx se.

Thanks for asking, i should have clarified this. Also YES, the 77 is the REAR o2 sensor. (for some reason BOTH o2 sensors went bad, telling me there is a larger underlying problem.... ) I just can't figure out WTF that code 132 is...I keep reseting the ecu, and it keeps coming back...

ANYONE PLEASE....

ladiesman8527
04-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Yes. This is off of an obd2 1996, 5spd 240sx se.

Thanks for asking, i should have clarified this. Also YES, the 77 is the REAR o2 sensor. (for some reason BOTH o2 sensors went bad, telling me there is a larger underlying problem.... ) I just can't figure out WTF that code 132 is...I keep reseting the ecu, and it keeps coming back...

ANYONE PLEASE....

i edited my post with more info. hopefully it helps.

gotta240
04-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Thank you!!! Not solved, but closer!!!!

will paypal 5 bucks to first person to solve this!!! seriously.( i know...not much...but i'm not rich..lol)

aznpoopy
04-20-2007, 04:57 PM
i only have a 98 FSM for obdii's, BUT

1302 = P1105
MAP/BAR SW SOL/CIR
aka manifold absolute pressure / barometric pressure switch solinoid valve

on a 96-98 ka24de i believe its a little green/black box that sits somewhere on top of the intake manifold.
it has three or four vac lines coming out of it.
a buddy threw the same code so i cut it off a spare manifold and gave it to him.

gotta240
04-20-2007, 06:33 PM
So it could be that box OR the MAP sensor? What does that box do? is it cleanable or is it just "BAD"?

I suppose that could explain a sporatic "bogging" when doing a constant rpm on the freeway for extended times.... Right?

Thanks so much for your help...I'm getting closer!

aznpoopy
04-20-2007, 07:08 PM
the map sensor/valve *is* the box i am referring to.
it measures air pressure. i don't really know why. maybe r240na can shed some light on that.

and yes, my buddy's symptoms were similar and quite annoying.

i suggest getting a fsm through zeroyon or something and just going through the diagnostic if you want to be sure. otherwise just buy one from a dealership and install.

gotta240
04-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks! What's your paypal?

For some reason i thought a MAP sensor was an electronic sensor like a MAF...Someone even said it was on/near the passenger side strut tower(front) but that is in a totally different spot than where you said...
Thanks again...

Does anyone know if that MAP Sensor/Box thing comes on any OTHER nissans? Finding one from an obd2 will be nearly impossible, other than paying nearly 200 for a new one.

aznpoopy
04-21-2007, 12:15 AM
no money is necessary
adulation is enough :P

youngmanvr4
04-21-2007, 12:54 AM
I didn't even know KA's had a MAP sensor. I thought MAP sensors were for pressurized engines not vacuum. But I guess I was wrong. I always thought that be 'cause P stands for pressure. But I guess it makes sense because vacuum is the difference between the absolute pressures of the intake manifold and atmosphere. Vacuum is a "gauge" pressure, since gauges by nature measure a pressure difference, not an absolute pressure. The engine fundamentally responds to air mass, not vacuum, and absolute pressure is necessary to calculate mass. The mass of air entering the engine is directly proportional to the air density, which is proportional to the absolute pressure, and inversely proportional to the absolute temperature.

gotta240
04-21-2007, 09:17 AM
thanks again aznpoopy...

Does anyone know if another nissan used the same box/map sensor??? These cost like 200 new...

gotta240
04-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Just found out the MAP sensor(thanks r240na) is on the strut tower, NOT the intake manifold. What is the sensor on the manifold with an electrical clip and vaccume hoses? Is it even related to my MAP sensor or the code 1302 I'm getting?

more importantly- what car shares this?

aznpoopy
04-21-2007, 11:57 AM
just to clear up all the confusion, i actually had to read the component description. damn you!

#1 the map sensor is near the strut tower
#2 the map switch solinoid valve is on the intake manifold

the code you are throwing is related to the map switch solinoid valve, which is indeed #2, code P1105 or ECU code 1302. it is a box with one harness plug and 3 vac lines coming out of it.

what does this thing do?
the solinoid valve opens when it gets a certain voltage signal from the ECU. when the valve opens, air flow goes to the 'ambient pressure sensor' or the map sensor (which is component #1) allowing that sensor to read pressure. presumably the ecu takes that reading and uses it to control the engine. going one step further, malfunction of the the valve (#2) prevents the sensor (#1) from getting a proper reading, causing your stumbling problem (probably :P).

gotta240
04-22-2007, 04:25 PM
THANKS AGAIN!!!! (AZNPOOPY- if you need any s14 parts let me know... I have a parts car and would be more than willing to hook you up for cheap).

Does anyone know if any other nissans share this map sensor solinoid valve? Maybe an obd2 nissan truck? Anyone? NO part stores have this(or know what the hell it is) and i think the dealer will be a raping...

projectRDM
04-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Sorry I didn't get in this thread sooner, must have missed it.

I believe the 98-01 Altima uses the same MAP sensor, plus there's another one on the S14, identical, located under the car by the EVAP canister. I have no clue why there's two, but it's the same part number, I remember from pulling one a few months ago.

gotta240
04-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Great... Thanks!!! I can only assume that because the map sensor is the same, that it will have the same map solenoid switch. I'm off to hunt parts!!!

Thanks again guys.

S14DB
04-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Sorry I didn't get in this thread sooner, must have missed it.

I believe the 98-01 Altima uses the same MAP sensor, plus there's another one on the S14, identical, located under the car by the EVAP canister. I have no clue why there's two, but it's the same part number, I remember from pulling one a few months ago.

I had the stealership spend a grand in labor to figure this out on my car. There are 2 pressure sensors. One is the MAP/Baro and one is the EVAP system pressure sensor. They have the same part number but have diff voltage curves. The car part store will order the evap one and so will the dealership. They have different sub numbers.

Only way to tell is that the MAP's port is straight out and the EVAP has a 90* bend. If the sensor doesn't look like the one you got you got the wrong one.

MAP on top, EVAP on bottom
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/MAP/MAPvsEVAP.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/MAP/MAPtop.jpg

Wrong one (EVAP)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/MAP/EVAP.jpg

With your map gone you're prolly running hella lean and burning up the O2's.

gotta240
04-23-2007, 11:21 AM
doesn't running rich(aka fuel soaking) ruin the o2 sensors? i didn't think running lean affected them. Am i wrong?

projectRDM
04-23-2007, 12:06 PM
A bad MAP will do nothing to driveability since it doesn't calculate A/Fs, it's just used for OBD monitoring. You'll simply throw a code and not pass emissions.

You won't seen a lean/rich condition unless the ECU goes into open loop, but that would be caused by a bad O2, not the MAP sensor.

gotta240
04-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Aznpoopy- Are you fairly sure the thing you (or friend) replaced to fix the P1105 code was on the INTAKE MANIFOLD? I see exactly what you're talking about(evap canister purge control solenoid valve i believe), but the diagrams shows the MAP/BARRO Solinoid Valve as being located right next to the fuel filter/map sensor on the passenger strut tower.

r240na or anyone- Obviosly the first o2 sensor will cause lean/rich conditions (sputtering etc.) but will a faulty second o2 sensor cause that? From what i understand it is just there to monitor the condition of the cat, therefore having nothing to do with how the car actually runs. Correct?

What i'm getting at is, i replaced the first o2 sensor. Although better than before, the car still sputters RANDOMLY on freeway trips between rpms of 3k and 4k. during CONSISTANT speeds or light acceleration. The only codes remaining are 77(rear o2) and 1302 (map solenoid valve). According to you, the map(and i can only assume map solenoid valve) have nothing to do with driveability, and imo neither would the rear o2.

I replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, and gas cap. Any ideas?

S14DB
04-23-2007, 10:12 PM
I went from 18:1 AFR to 15:1 by replacing the MAP. I had similar problems that were fixed by replacing Both O2's and the MAP. Stopped shooting flames on Decel and the cruise pops/sputters.

projectRDM
04-23-2007, 10:26 PM
r240na or anyone- Obviosly the first o2 sensor will cause lean/rich conditions (sputtering etc.) but will a faulty second o2 sensor cause that? From what i understand it is just there to monitor the condition of the cat, therefore having nothing to do with how the car actually runs. Correct?

What i'm getting at is, i replaced the first o2 sensor. Although better than before, the car still sputters RANDOMLY on freeway trips between rpms of 3k and 4k. during CONSISTANT speeds or light acceleration. The only codes remaining are 77(rear o2) and 1302 (map solenoid valve). According to you, the map(and i can only assume map solenoid valve) have nothing to do with driveability, and imo neither would the rear o2.

I replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, and gas cap. Any ideas?

The rear O2 is only to monitor the cat, you won't see any changes. The ECU may think something is wrong and try to adjust A/Fs, but it can't without actually causing a lean/rich condition.

gotta240
04-24-2007, 09:28 AM
ok. last question!

Does everyone agree that the code p1105/ 1302 is for the map/barro solenoid valve, and NOT THE MAP SENSOR ITSELF? A couple people mentioned the same problems as mine that were replaced with the MAP SENSOR, but a couple others said that its is the map sensor solenoid valve. Is the code i have specific to one of the two, or is it a crap shoot between the two?

I just want to double/tripple check before i go to the stealership and spent 100 bucks.(they have an absolute no refund policy)

thanks again

aznpoopy
04-24-2007, 10:35 AM
the 1302 code relates to the valve, not to the sensor

unfortunately, one of the possible causes that can throw a valve malfunction code is a malfunction in the sensor. XD

run through the diagnostic in the FSM for the sensor and the valve.
if you don't have a FSM, i suggest picking one up...

gotta240
04-24-2007, 11:48 AM
yeah, i had one......till my brother threw it away...DOH!!!

I actually have one downloaded, so i'll run through the diagnostics..thanks!

gotta240
04-24-2007, 12:33 PM
NO VACCUME.

There are three lines going to this solenoid- One comes from the bottom of it and seems like a drain(doesn't make sence to me) but it is like 8 inches and is attached to nothing.

One line comes from the manifold- THERE IS NO VACCUME COMING FROM THIS LINE I'm thinking this is my problem!!! Right?

S14DB
04-24-2007, 02:34 PM
The Map/Baro mean Manifold/Barometric Pressure. The ECU Reads the Barometric pressure at start-up and trims the map to the air density. That is why it goes to Atmosphere. Then it switches the solenoid to the Manifold and acts like a MAP sensor the rest of the time.

ether the MAP sensor or the Solenoid can cause that error. The solenoid only switches once per start-up and very rarely goes. It is safe to assume it is the MAP cause that is what usually goes out.

gotta240
04-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Sorry, but i kinda need things spelled out.

So what your saying is I shouldn't have a constant vaccume going into the solenoid valve? I thought i should have CONSTANT VACCUME TO THE SOLENOID VALVE, and the valve then decides to turn on/off.

My vaccume to the solenoid valve stops at the EVAP CANISTER PURGE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE which is "upstream" in the vaccume sytem, directly before the map/baro solenoid valve.

S14DB
04-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Get yourself a FSM. The vacuum routing is crazy.

gotta240
04-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Yes, i printed out the fsm for the vaccume lines, and they are fairly crazy.

Luckily i solved the problem!!! Bad/disconnected vaccume line.... That was so easy yet SO HARD!!!

aznpoopy
04-25-2007, 08:16 PM
congratulations! :)

gotta240
04-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you very much for all the help/time... I rarely see that much effort on here, and it is greatly appriciated.