PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET Swapped 5-Spd Transmision Question

mehsilvia
04-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Ok -
Im in need of parts for my 5-speed tranny. Gears, Synchrodes, seals, etc . . . I clearly dont have the stock KA tranny (compared the Gear sizes and they dont match).
So im struggling with the part numbers or the USDM equivilent. Can someone tell me where to obtain this information? or if you have it off-hand id appreciate someone just firing it my way.
Even better if you can recommend a shop or supplier.

The 5-Speed is from an S14 SR20DET Blacktop swapped from a '97.

Thanks all!

DJ_Sunrise
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
hey watsup man? i still have to install the air box u sent me like 2 months ago haha. but yea.. im under every impression that the sr/ka trans are IDENTICAL internally.. the only difference being the bell housing. i was 100% sure, until you said some shit about actually measuring the gears.. now im a bit skeptical haha

-Bart

wootwoot
04-18-2007, 04:27 PM
They are very slightly different on the internals, close, but maybe not close enough for the parts to be interchangeable. You could always pick up a ka tranny and rebuild that one? People will more then likely give them away.

skate07
04-18-2007, 06:07 PM
^^^ exactly

they are noticeably different when you get inside, they will not interchange

youngmanvr4
04-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Not that it matters but exterior wise, SR's dont have a 5th gear position switch while the KA's do right?

mehsilvia
04-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Damn Bart, install that bitch! Its been forever since i shipped that to ya :rofl:

They are very slightly different on the internals, close, but maybe not close enough for the parts to be interchangeable. You could always pick up a ka tranny and rebuild that one? People will more then likely give them away.

Yeah the gears are a different size and thickness and the syncros are a totaly different layout all together.
I blew 4th gear during a race and its been a little crunchy since. Thought id give it a try and ordered OEM parts for 96 5-speed and what do ya know, not the KA tranny (not that i thought it would be, but DAMN how many 5-speeds they make during that period).

So id rather rebuild cause its not that big a deal for me. So if anyone has any freakin clue what US application matches or whatnot id like to know.

Tried calling the dealership and they just go by VIN, wouldnt even take the casting number of the case as reference. :duh: