PDA

View Full Version : Steering pull during acceleration

kenshinS14sks
04-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I had recently changed out my rack and pinion due to leaks and torn boots, and my mech said they didn't bleed the air bubbles since normal driving would clear that up (including the "rumbling and shaking" during full turns at stops)

It did this before the rack and pinion change out but it was slight even afterwards...and is getting worse. The pull is always to the right when I'm on the accelerator and I have to steer a bit left, and between shifts, the car will straighten out again causing me to weave if i don't remember to anticipate and straighten out the steering wheel. When I'm cruising or in neutral, the car runs straight without any adjustments to the steering. So only during acceleration...and more acceleration = more pull

At first I thought it was an alignment issue so I went and got that done... According to them, the problem was radial pull but from my research, then it should still be pulling even when I'm cruising off the throttle

Do I just need to bleed it again or is there another problem that I'm not looking into?

Sorry for the long and possibly confusing post... I did the best I could in chronological order.

zerooath
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I sorda had the same problem and i did a brake change and bleeded the brakes and put new brake fluid and all that in it. It went away a little then i got a proper allignment and it went away completely. Your frame is straight and not bent a lil or anything like that?

also sry i couldnt be more help lol

kenshinS14sks
04-13-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't see why my frame wouldn't be straight... and if it wasn't, the alignment job should've detected it no?

drewc87
04-13-2007, 12:00 PM
i know some1 that had the same prob. make sure your lca's are tight.

cdlong
04-13-2007, 12:03 PM
maybe a bad or weak bushing in the rear. a bad bushing could allow a change in toe more on one side that the other which would change the thrust angle (an alignment spec, should be zero when they're done).

zens14
04-13-2007, 12:06 PM
sound like you'll need a good alignment

Replicant_S14
04-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Subframe torqueing skew under accel maybe? How are the subframe bushings?

kenshinS14sks
04-13-2007, 01:09 PM
everyone's talking alignment, but if it is...shouldn't it be pulling even during cruise without acceleration? and wth is a lca? (i'll do google right now, but just in case i don't find none)

pbcstylez
04-13-2007, 01:16 PM
LCA =lower control arm

MadScientist
04-13-2007, 01:32 PM
If its your rack you will hear an annoying whine when you turn the wheel (like almost all Delta 88s make).

If you have aftermarket adjustable arm on the car you need to have a race shop or someone other than Sears do the alignment. These type shops dont know how to make correct adjustments to aftermarket parts. A friend went to Tire Kingdom and they fudged his tracking... car looks like its crab walking when going straight, but drives normal and alignment shows normal... when in reality the rear is off to one side. Also if you have stagered wheels, the rear is wider so they may toe the front in or, the rear out, to compensate which will cause the steering to react to everything.

Alot of possable issues... when you have adjustable links... pro-alignments only!!

Peace
Drew

kenshinS14sks
04-13-2007, 02:50 PM
sorry i should've stated these things earlier... but the only after market i have are the kazama tension rods and nismo power brace... and my car is mainly stock on eibach springs and kyb agx shocks and a nismo 2 way

all parts are less than a year old besides the nismo which i got used ... the subframe seems ok too... =(

kenshinS14sks
04-16-2007, 11:16 AM
ok... so after an initial inspection...i noticed my rear passenger tire was a bit flat... at first it seemed ok but later in the day...it was noticeably flat. hence the pull only during acceleration... gg

goes to teach me to inspect the basics first before anything...

pbcstylez
04-16-2007, 12:23 PM
haha, glad you found the problem atleast