PDA

View Full Version : Rom Tune ?

Rockogtr
04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
anyone ever heard of E-MANCE rom tunes??? saw it on ebay didnt know if it was a 300$ scam or if it was legit

check it out let me know what u think

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240SX-S13-62-63-E5-SR20DET-Upgraded-Tuned-ECU_W0QQitemZ200097642214QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

timtiminy
04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
I was wondering this as well. lookslike they usea daughter board with a 2 chip setup. wondering if it is anything like jwt or enthalapy?

Rockogtr
04-11-2007, 08:43 PM
what do u think of the a/f ratio timtimny 12.5 to lean or think its straight there i always was under the impression 12 was the limit...

lazierhobo
04-11-2007, 09:49 PM
nothing wrong with 12.5
thats still pretty conservative
just dont want to be much higher than 13 in high boost

street240
04-11-2007, 11:55 PM
So has anyone used this company?

s13gold
04-11-2007, 11:57 PM
i doubt it... but save up a couple more hundred bux for jwt or enthalpy.
they're respectable and highly reputable. you get what you pay for.

the difference is huge. to blowup or to not blowup your motor is the question.

check his reputation and ask about references.
Customer service is key, jwt and enthalpy has made great remarks around.

if someone credible can vouch for that tuner, maybe i can be persuade, but until then be careful.

eastcoastS14
04-12-2007, 12:05 AM
^^ yeah i agree 100% Engine management is definitely NOT the area to skimp on....you really do get what you pay for RS enthalpy is only $200 more so id stay with the test proven route

BTW where in MA are you??

Rockogtr
04-12-2007, 05:36 AM
BTW where in MA are you??

Leominster its about 10 min from worcester, how bout u ?

timtiminy
04-13-2007, 06:26 PM
okay I wrote them an email and they said if i send in my ecu they can do the chip install and tune for $150 plus shipping and about 3 days turn around. not too bad. it mentions on their auction page that an ex nissan programing engineer is the one who is doing the programming. Still dont know if anyone has some first hand experience with this, that is what i would like to see.

spool_sample
04-13-2007, 08:05 PM
You can buy ROM tunes on eBay now? The end is near... :bite:

+1 for JWT or Enthalpy.

eastcoastS14
04-13-2007, 08:10 PM
^^ ooh nice yeah im from medford

Inland180
04-13-2007, 11:48 PM
is someone going to try them out?

s13gold
04-14-2007, 12:24 AM
^^^that right there is the million dollar question. or at least the price of your motor.

timtiminy
04-21-2007, 08:30 PM
$150 in comparison to $500 for an enthalapy tune is quite the price difference. He said turn around time is 1-2 days and they can tune for whatever you have, I sent him a list of all my mods that I will be running on once i get my swap, he just said yeah that'll be $150. I asked him if it could be further tuned and he replied...if you have a safc, you can fine tune on the dyno. you really wont need to, you will have more performance out of the box. but if you'd like, you can dyno it.

the cost for this setup is $150.00 + 15.00 shipping
His email is: [email protected] and his name is Jason
someone should see if its wort it. I would, but all i have is the computer, no motor to plug it into haha. kind of working backwards since i'm poor and i'm piecing things together little by little picking up deals where i find them.
To me it may be worth it if they are basically using the same maps as enthalapy or jwt even if it is just a knockoff tune it should work just as good as the version coppied from. I guess we'll all have to wait and see.
I figure i could get a wideband with the money i would save if i went this route.

Rockogtr
04-21-2007, 09:20 PM
i have an extra 62 ecu so i might buy the chip and put it in one and go to the dyno see how it dose ive read some of the feed back and the KA-T's said they made good power

johngriff
04-21-2007, 09:24 PM
lol @ 12.5/1 being safe for pump.

Good Luck.

street240
04-22-2007, 01:12 AM
i have an extra 62 ecu so i might buy the chip and put it in one and go to the dyno see how it dose ive read some of the feed back and the KA-T's said they made good power

That would be a good idea. Just because it's cheap doesnt mean its a pos. But let's be honest in most cases it does. But your info from your extra ecu would be apprecieated.

onemotion
04-22-2007, 01:19 AM
go to best1tunning.com his tunes are great.

street240
04-22-2007, 01:28 AM

Have you gotten a rom tune from there? If so, what was the tune?

Rockogtr
04-22-2007, 07:12 AM

the site dosnt come up

statik
04-22-2007, 08:22 AM

Good Luck.

wow seriously, 12.5? good luck with purchasing your new motor

cotbu
04-22-2007, 10:31 AM

Good Luck.

wow seriously, 12.5? good luck with purchasing your new motor

If, this is the best you guys can come up with well....
Why not ask the guy to tune for 11.5 or whatever you feel is safe?
Since, there's nothing else that can go wrong, if you have good a/f's
http://www.dvcreators.net/discuss/images/smilies/sarcasm.gif:squint:

smelly240
04-22-2007, 10:52 AM
im at 11.2:1 on pump

screw 12.5 - thats gay

sicarius82
04-22-2007, 11:08 AM
the site dosnt come up

believe it's www.best1tuning.com

s13rookie
04-22-2007, 12:01 PM
. I would, but all i have is the computer, no motor to plug it into haha. kind of working backwards since i'm poor and i'm piecing things together little by little picking up deals where i find them.

The tune should be the last thing you do. If you are still looking for deals on parts you should hold off. it would suck to have to pass up a good deal on a part thats slightly diff. or have to get retuned.

johngriff
04-22-2007, 12:35 PM
If, this is the best you guys can come up with well....
Why not ask the guy to tune for 11.5 or whatever you feel is safe?
Since, there's nothing else that can go wrong, if you have good a/f's
http://www.dvcreators.net/discuss/images/smilies/sarcasm.gif:squint:

Ok, really it isnt me just talking trash to talk trash. Advertising that he tunes turbo cars to that AF/r is basically screaming from the mountain top that he does not know what he is talking about.

I remember in the 90's, someone put together this really hot little Map for the b16. I knew the guy who got it done at the dyno, i was there.

A couple months later, he went to another shop around here, and they asked what was up with his car. They had a rom burner, and he sold them a copy of his rom for $25.

About a year later, suddenly everyone and their mom has a "Mugen stage III" rom tune, from this shop, and they got ripped off, and everyone got ripped off.

I am sure, that this guy just ganked some RS Enthalpy Maps or some JWT maps, any one who cannot accurately advertise themselves (dangerous af/r for turbo) is obviously cutting corners.

12.5/1 is good for N/A so he probably just copy/paste the text from another ad.

koukie180
04-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't say this rom tune is shady or anything. anyone with a eeprom/flash burner and daugtherboard can easily tune their own cars.

the offer seems good and what they offer are the basics of rom tuning (not much advanced). however, from my experience, that daughterboard quality is inferior to many other daughterboards. it doesn't even have moisture protective coat and the circuit board is of cheap materials. cheap prices lack quality in electronic components such as capacitors, resistors, or eeprom/flash chips. you definitely do not want your daughterboard to fry on you when you are road racing.

on the otherhand you can't go wrong with jwt or enthalpy. they've got too much reputation to back them up.

maybe for 150, i can get it and dump the rom and see what they did (i wouldn't be surprised if little or no modifications were done like many rom scams out there). btw even if they install a daughterboard on your 62/E5 you can reverse the effects very easily so no big deal.

street240
04-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I am contacting the seller right now to find out what his method is and if he is willing to defend hs product to Zilvia. If you can survive on Zilvia-You can survive anywhere.

s13gold
04-22-2007, 11:13 PM
$150 in comparison to $500 for an enthalapy tune is quite the price difference. He said turn around time is 1-2 days and they can tune for whatever you have, I sent him a list of all my mods that I will be running on once i get my swap, he just said yeah that'll be $150. I asked him if it could be further tuned and he replied...if you have a safc, you can fine tune on the dyno. you really wont need to, you will have more performance out of the box. but if you'd like, you can dyno it.

the cost for this setup is $150.00 + 15.00 shipping
His email is: [email protected] and his name is Jason
someone should see if its wort it. I would, but all i have is the computer, no motor to plug it into haha. kind of working backwards since i'm poor and i'm piecing things together little by little picking up deals where i find them.
To me it may be worth it if they are basically using the same maps as enthalapy or jwt even if it is just a knockoff tune it should work just as good as the version coppied from. I guess we'll all have to wait and see.
I figure i could get a wideband with the money i would save if i went this route.

what is your ecu tuned for......

timtiminy
04-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I plan on using this ecu for a sr20det swapped 240sx with the following modifications:

Z32 MAF
S15 turbo (gt28r ballbearing) 20psi max
550cc sidefeed injectors
Front mount intercooler
Greddy intake manifold with s13 60mm throttle body
silkroad exhaust manifold
3" o2 elbow
3" downpipe
3" catalytic converter
3" non resrictive catback exhaust
ngk iridium spark plugs
Brian Crower stage 2 camshafts

That is the list of the planned mods I sent him. He says to include everything done to the motor so i figure he has to be able to do some theoretical tuning if he even asks for it. I wrote a few guys that bought his stuff on ebay and am awaiting resposes to see how it did. I did get one response, here it is: Well, first he (Jason is who i worked with) is a very reliable and knowledgable seller. He knows his crap about tuning. Sounds like he has a tuning shop in Cali somewhere and they do Nissan and Mitsu all day. The ecu worked good for a couple weeks then it started getting funky and the car was going into limp mode. I had a race event coming up very shortly after this happened and Jason sent me a new daughter board with new chips (priority) on it to see if that would resolve the problem for free! Well, sad to say it didnt fix the problem. I had to restart my car every time it would get stupid and it would sometimes fix it. I sent the entire ecu and 2 daughterboards back to him again this last monday and he found that one of the pins was loose. Solder gave way or something, but he fixed it, again no charge. It should be here on monday and hopefully everything runs good. The ecu does make a difference after the tune. Makes much better low end power and high end definitely pulls harder. Car does run a tad richer than normal, go figure. Its a performance tune. It have a redtop, with fmic, 255 lph fuel pump, stock t-25 at 15 psi, stock injectors, atmospheric bov, header,and 93 octane. He tunes individually for all this crap. Little bit more timing cause of the 93 octane and makes it so car doesnt have rich condition between shifts. Speed limiter is also gone. Rev limiter is at 7500. The soldering mishap was a simple mistake. The ecu does really make a performance difference and Jason is very trustworthy and very helpfull if you have problems, obviously. I believe i paid around $120-130 for mine. Depending on the tune and where you live, costs will probly differ a little. I had a 16 bit ecu and needed the daughterboard with 2 chips. I sent it to him to solder it all up for me. He did say prices were going up soon when i purchased it from him though. I would say if you are running the stock turbo, do it. If you have a different turbo, you probly want a dyno tune.

hopefully street240 can get some good info. sounds pretty good though, so who's first to try in for all of Zilvia.net??

street240
04-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Good News. I talked to him and he is more than happy to come on Zilvia and talk about his tunes. His methods,experience etc. I am waiting to hear back from the mods on whether or not we can start a thread.

Rockogtr
04-23-2007, 03:18 PM
well i emailed him my set up and this is what he said, i also asked if he had any dyno sheets for his SR chips...my set up was for a SR redtop, GT2871r,ex. mani, 680 or 550 injectors(not sure what i wanna go with yet), front mount, 3" elbow, cat delete, 3" cat back, z32 MAF, and walboro 255 pump....

thanks for your inquiry, you could send us your ecu and we can tune it for $150.00 + 15.00 express shipping. the turn around on this service is 1-2 business days. or to save money, we could sell you the daughterboard/chip already tuned that is only $105 shipped to you. all you have to do is take your ecu and our directions to any tv/electronics repair shop. they can chip your ecu for less than $10 and 5 mins of your time.

let me know if you are interested.

i dont have the dyno sheet online, but we expand the sr fuel/timing maps to support up to 16psi with a stock setup. that nets you approx 40-50 more hp. more if you have exhaust/intercooler upgrade

steve shadows
04-23-2007, 03:27 PM
12.5/1 is good for N/A so he probably just copy/paste the text from another ad.

12.5/1 is a horrible AFR for NA, 14 AFR range is target for NA load tuning depending on octane.

12.5/1 is good if you want horrible gas milage and shitty response.

12.5/1 is excellent tune for race gas and turbocharged applications however.

Is it possible the tune was focused on maximum output for 100 octane?

Possibly tuned for 93 octane and +fuel pressure?

just throwing it out there.

Check out XAT also they are another excellent rom tune shop, although its just a band aid for a real quality EMS imo.

johngriff
04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
14/1 loaded n/a on pump is death dude, waaaaay too hot. Cruising yeah, but not WOT, not even nissan stock ecu's is running target 1 at wot.

timtiminy
04-23-2007, 05:15 PM
okay I think the whole 12.5:1 afr subject can be put to death as the person that replied to me that has used his ecu said that his sr was running a bit rich so there is no way it was running a 12.5:1 afr. hopefully we can get jason on here and he can answer questions and give us all a bit of insite on his tunes. Hopefully he'll do a zilvia.net special on his tunes in order to get zilvia.net feedback. I think that would be a good idea for his bussiness.

steve shadows
04-23-2007, 05:39 PM
14/1 loaded n/a on pump is death dude, waaaaay too hot. Cruising yeah, but not WOT, not even nissan stock ecu's is running target 1 at wot.

check it again

13 is fine for wot.

15 is good for cruising if your looking for fuel economy.

If your trying to make power high 13s or low 14s on RACE GAS is ok.

Ive never seen a car overheat because it was running 13-14 afr under wot and na set up.

but I guess its possible depending on purity of octane.

steve shadows
04-23-2007, 05:45 PM
okay I think the whole 12.5:1 afr subject can be put to death as the person that replied to me that has used his ecu said that his sr was running a bit rich so there is no way it was running a 12.5:1 afr. hopefully we can get jason on here and he can answer questions and give us all a bit of insite on his tunes. Hopefully he'll do a zilvia.net special on his tunes in order to get zilvia.net feedback. I think that would be a good idea for his bussiness.

Yeah your explanation is too vague in the first place.

I mean how does he know its running rich? by smelling it?

If he does a zilvia special i hope he can at least tell us what type of

lamda meter he uses to tune by.

PS. AFR is ok

but LAMDA is a btter rule to tune by

johngriff
04-23-2007, 06:19 PM
afr is directly proportional to cylinder temp. Heat is the main cause of detonation, and it is the function being controlled by fuel tuning. We all would love a complete burn, but are very limited by poor octane fuel. There are no mainstream ROM's for racegas, that is why all the rom's you see will be in the 12's for na and 11's for turbo (jwt 10.8 z's in the 90's.. rofl).

Rockogtr
04-23-2007, 08:36 PM
i also pm'd him about the afr ....

"thanks for your inquiry, we actually run the sr's on 11.5-12.0 a/f. the 12.5 is a typo. "

s13gold
04-23-2007, 08:43 PM
on ebay go to the sellers feedback and try to email people that have already purchased ecu's from this guy.

timtiminy
04-23-2007, 08:58 PM
s13gold:I did that, you can read the response that an actual user gave me on the E-mance tune for his SR

chlatboy
04-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Enthalpy FTW. They are more gung ho on their tunes meaning their tunes can produce more power compared to JWT. But JWT is also a good place. Call both and ask for pricing and see from there.

street240
04-24-2007, 05:31 AM
I started a new thread here-http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?p=1347935#post1347935 where we can ask our questions directly and hopefully find a new source of rom tunes or write off completely.

chuckydj
04-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Alright, well first of all, i was the one quoted about the ecu with one loosely soldered pin. I received the ecu back from Jason on Monday and just tried it. The car runs great, just like it did the first two weeks i had it. He doesnt do the ecu soldering in house anyway, so technically not his fault. He also has a computer to test ecus for diagnostic purposes. His method of tuning is no different from JWT or Enthalpy, just a lot cheaper because those companies think they have you by your ba!!s and you cant get a custom tuned ecu anywhere else. Once you have the correct software and a knowledge and archive of maps for tuning, mass production is cheap. He also has a dyno in house. The nissan ecu reads the program to run the car from a chip already existing on the ecu. (Im referring to a 16 bit one cause thats what i have). A jumper is moved on the back of the board to make the ecu read from an external source (your new 8 bit chip, if you have an 8 bit ecu, or the daughter board with dual 8 bit chips if you have a 16 bit ecu. Driveability is excellent with the tune and gas milleage is not noticiably different. Get to know this guy and he could make tuning for the Nissan world a whole lot cheaper for everyone. Whats a dyno tune cost? $500-$600 plus your controller!?! Versus about $150 for a prom tune that is identicle to that of JWT and Enthalpy ($500 for their ecus). Another reason Jasons tunes are so much cheaper, is all you are paying for is his knowledge and the chips/daughterboard, NOT a whole F#$#%ing ecu! You can email me at [email protected] and i will answer any questions about him. I just tried his ecu tune off of ebay just like anyone else.

Rockogtr
04-24-2007, 05:26 PM
i think im gonna order my chip this week but i wont be able to get some dyno #'s for a month or so...ill keep everyone posted

s13gold
04-24-2007, 06:33 PM
yeah jwt is on the conservative side for sure...then enthalpy is more aggressive. if you're gonna be drifting and autox go with jwt beccuase your car is gonna be bouncing off the rev limiter and u want the fuel to be sufficent yet safe. safer is better in my opinion.

nosajton
04-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi this is Jason, owner of Emance LLC, i see there is a lot of interest in my services on here, any questions you have please pm or direct to the new thread setup at: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?p=1347935

I see some of you were tripping out about the 12.5 afr at WOT. that was a typo and should of read 11.5