PDA

View Full Version : Oily $hit in plumbing?

Ugly SR
04-08-2007, 05:00 PM
I got a basically stock SR in my 13 and I noticed a lot of oily shit in the IC plumbing. I read that I should have a catch can, coming off the valve cover, but where? I also read that I should put a breather filter on the left side of the tee,(facing front of the engine) and cap off the hose that comes from the inake? What would be best? I know my car is breathing oil, and its either the turbo, or this valve cover hose shit.
Any help greatly appreciated. What are you guys running?

John

derk
04-08-2007, 05:03 PM
take a ball peen hammer and gently hit the left side of the valve cover untill you make a small opening, then stick a hose in there and put jb weld around the hose/hole to seal it up, run that hose to your catch can.

hope that helps!

bshotts
04-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Please take the simple and much more logical path to correct your problem....unless you want jb weld on your SR valve cover with a random hose sticking out of it.

The OEM oil blow by hole is on the driver's side of your valve cover and should have a metal 5/8" "T" fitting. If you want the stock SR blow by setup, run a 5/8" hose from the T side facing the firewall to the black OEM catch can that came with your SR and back into the engine block right under where the black can mounts. On the other side of the T fitting, run a 5/8" hose back to the intake tube feeding the turbo, connecting all hoses using suitable hose clamps. If you don't have the OEM can, don't waste your time looking for one as this will not keep the oil blow by out of your intake/turbo/intercooler piping.

Assuming you are like most of us who likes to run the engine hard or take many spirited drives, using an aftermarket oil catch can will solve your problem. In this case, run the 5/8" hose from the T back to the block on the firewall side, and the other hose to the new can and another hose from the can back to the intake tube.

Keep us updated

Ugly SR
04-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Thank you very much. No I don't have the stock catch can, but I will be picking up an aftermarket one tomorrow. So on the stock set up the catch can is in between the T and the engine block. And I should run an after market one in between the inake and the T fitting? I was wondering if there was any difference as to where the catch can could be located. I've heard different things, thats why I ask. Thank you for your help (bshotts).

BTW: Why would you ever smash a hole into your valve cover?

Big Bronze Rim
04-08-2007, 07:14 PM
take a ball peen hammer and gently hit the left side of the valve cover untill you make a small opening, then stick a hose in there and put jb weld around the hose/hole to seal it up, run that hose to your catch can.

hope that helps!
Thats near the top of my "dumbest things I've ever heard" list. I hope you weren't actually serious or have actually performed this "mod" on your car...
To the original poster, there is some good info here (http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=164508&highlight=pcv).

bshotts
04-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Well, your whole goal of the catch can/blow by tank is to separate the oil from the air, get the air back into the intake tract, and get most of the oil back to the block.

So, if you locate the catch can in between the line from the valve cover to the intake pipe, the valve cover blow by will be separated in the tank, air goes back to the intake and some of the oil gets trapped in the tank and from the other side of the T, that oil will flow right back into the block.

I could send you a pic, but you can find those rather simply with the ol' search button: oil catch can

bshotts
04-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Also want to feed the crankcase ventilation under boost back to the intake plumbing as you've prolly read by now....can be accomplished using OEM or catch can setup

Ugly SR
04-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks again.