PDA

View Full Version : Will 18X8.5 wheels rub on a Kouki?

Ichi
04-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting wheels and the guy at the tire place said they would rub if I don't mod my fenders. I didn't believe him so I checked a few spots online, and the size isn't listed as "compatible" for the 240SX S14.

So I was wondering if anyone knows for sure whether 18X8.5 rims with either a 37mm, 31mm, or 25mm offset (leaning towards the 37mm) will rub either the front or rear fenders on a S14 Kouki without modification. The guy said they would be too wide, and would rub on bumps and the like. I know this question was asked before but I couldn't find this exact size in my forum search. I'm planning to lower the car an inch or so and add calipers and I don't want them to rub then either. I'm going to get fairly even tires to match the rims in case that would affect the rub factor.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

J.Silvia
04-08-2007, 03:07 PM
it all depends on the offset of the wheels, i have 18x9.5 in the back of my s14 but they rubbed alittle so i just did a very minor fender roll. 18x8.5 should fit fine in the back but for the front im not to sure.

jr_ss
04-08-2007, 03:11 PM
8.5" wheels will fit fine with a 31mm offset. I'm running 18x8 +30 in the front and 18x8.5 +33 in the rear. I have no issues whatsoever... If anything you might need a 5mm spacer in the front.

derek_s13
04-08-2007, 03:12 PM
if you are, in fact,
planning to lower the car an inch or so
and
leaning towards the 37mm

then don't get 18's at all. it's gonna look like total shit.

you wouldn't rather some suspension?
besides, 18x8.5 +37 anything is gonna be way overpriced and corny.

seriously, don't even get them.

gotta240
04-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Get the 8.5 with the 22 offset.

The higher the offset number, the more the rims look "sunken in"(which looks like shit)

I persoanally have 9.5 with 22 offset and they dont rub(i just "rolled" the little lip on the inside of the fenders, no major modifications). You however will have a 1/2 inch MORE clearance on both inside and outside of wheel than i do, leaving you plenty of room, and still not looking like TOTAL DOG SHIT.

Many people on here will urge you to get a wider(at least 9 inch) rim, but it seems like this is just a daily driver and you don't want to go crazy with modifications... With that being said, i think these will be fine.

EDIT- Before you buy them, look into mb motoring, hotwheels, and sportmax wheels. All are cheap(about 5 or 6 hundred a set) and you may like them better than the "wheel shop" crap your looking at.

kassed33
04-08-2007, 04:12 PM
i have 18x9 (f) +25 w/ 235/40's and 18x10 (r) +45 w 265/35 and they fit fine and the car is even lowered 2in, you should be fine and you shouldnt have to roll anything

baka_na_kuruma
04-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting wheels and the guy at the tire place said they would rub if I don't mod my fenders. I didn't believe him so I checked a few spots online, and the size isn't listed as "compatible" for the 240SX S14.

So I was wondering if anyone knows for sure whether 18X8.5 rims with either a 37mm, 31mm, or 25mm offset (leaning towards the 37mm) will rub either the front or rear fenders on a S14 Kouki without modification. The guy said they would be too wide, and would rub on bumps and the like. I know this question was asked before but I couldn't find this exact size in my forum search. I'm planning to lower the car an inch or so and add calipers and I don't want them to rub then either. I'm going to get fairly even tires to match the rims in case that would affect the rub factor.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

If you ask questions like that don't buy wheels. Do your research first buddy.

kassed33
04-08-2007, 04:22 PM
check out this site it will give you some standard sizes and fits
http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheels/volk_fitment/nissan.htm

OptionZero
04-08-2007, 05:26 PM
uh...no, that link is stupid. Volk was going super conservative

they suggested +40 offset in front, man

this thread could have been resolved with " idiot n00b, search for wheel fitment threads" and stop asking shop guys what size wheels will fit

gotta240
04-08-2007, 05:27 PM
lol... plus 40 front=honda civic wheels...lame.

Ichi
04-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks to those that provided info...it was greatly appreciated.

Okay, I am a n00b...so what? I never said I wasn't. I'll get there one day. After spending some time on here I notice that most Zilvia members destroy any noobs and their associated noob posts so I'll try to avoid starting them in the future. Guess I should have expected that comment...I was just asking for some help. And yes, I did do research, but not enough apparently.

My apologies...thanks again for the help to those that provided info.

staygold24
04-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Just wondering, what type of rims do you plan on getting? If you are a "noob" I advise you to save up money and hold back on modifications for a while. Get to know the proper fitment of a wheel on a 240.

Buy used. Seriously. Save money and check on the classifieds section of this website. Youre located in SF so should be some good buys near you.

Ichi
04-09-2007, 11:46 AM
After reading around I've decided to get suspension first. I also realize a 37 offset is not the way to go since it won't look good, unless I use spacers. gotta240 was right since it's going to be a daily driver without crazy mods. Thanks again.

gotta240
04-09-2007, 06:32 PM
No worries... I've been there and stressed/looked for a long time to find a rim that would fit my situation...

Your choice of suspension over rims is a good one though...

slideways2004
04-09-2007, 07:25 PM
it all depends on how low you are. if you are stock height, nothing should be rubbing. until you turn and that horrible body roll comes in. then your fender hits the tire.

Mathetai
04-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Word to all ^^

Im running 18x9 +12 in front and I dont rub (anymore). Running 225-40's with neg camber. No fender roll or pull.