PDA

View Full Version : TRUST gracer lip, paint is NOT sticking to it

khilgers
04-04-2007, 04:10 PM
My painter has been having problems painting the trust gracer front lip I dropped off to him. He prepped it, shot it, and cleared it and now the sides of the lip looks almost like a golf ball texture. As if the paint is collapsing in on itself. He let is dry, sanded it all out smooth, shot it again and it is still doing the same thing. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it, but imagine small indents throughout the paint about the size of a BB. Anyone else have these problems?

slos14
04-04-2007, 04:26 PM
so it keeps on orange peeling . what did he pre[ it with ? an what grit sanding ?
whats the temps he is painting in ?
justin

FRpilot
04-04-2007, 04:59 PM
iirc, there's a special sealer or something that you have to apply to urethane products to make paint stick and not crack when it bends. i just remember reading about it from some DIY paint job threads from various forums.

samplesurf
04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
he needs to use adhesion promoter in the paint

420sx
04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
what type of hardener/ catalyst are you using? lol if any

Eddie@Performance
04-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Plastic parts have to bathe in a hot water tub to let all the oils in the plastics to "sweat out", then it has to be 3M scotch padded to dull up the finish, flex primered (adhesion promoter), base coat and clear coated.

khilgers
04-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I should have said it was bubbling more than a sticking issue. As for the specifics I am not sure what kind of products specifically he is using, but this is not some little hole in the wall shop. When he prepped the new bumpers he did the same thing. Scotch padded them, sealed, primered, base, pearl, clear. I was just wondering if people in general have had a problem painting these lips. What are they made out of exactly, FRP, urethane, they're certainely not ABS?

Eddie@Performance
04-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I should have said it was bubbling more than a sticking issue. As for the specifics I am not sure what kind of products specifically he is using, but this is not some little hole in the wall shop. When he prepped the new bumpers he did the same thing. Scotch padded them, sealed, primered, base, pearl, clear. I was just wondering if people in general have had a problem painting these lips. What are they made out of exactly, FRP, urethane, they're certainely not ABS?

Its not really urethane, its more like ABS plastic, the GReddy lips are made of a hard plastic, its not exactly "real flexible". Its actually quite brittle, we got some there were just shattered from GReddy in the box.

codyace
04-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Plastic parts have to bathe in a hot water tub to let all the oils in the plastics to "sweat out", then it has to be 3M scotch padded to dull up the finish, flex primered (adhesion promoter), base coat and clear coated.

Culdn't have said it better myself. The shop that painted mine told me to use laquer thinner/prepsol first, then scotch it, then bathe it....

JewGal
04-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Your painter = Incompetent