PDA

View Full Version : Coolant in cylinder #1 - What to do now?

John_R
04-03-2007, 02:37 PM
So I found a leak between intake manifold runner #1, and the water outlet. Unfortunately, I found this out by the engine running. Later, in tearing things down I found my oil was very watered down. So I assumed I blew my head gasket. Now, I haven't got as far as pulling the head off and would like to know:

Is there any possibility that the headgasket didn't blow? I've been looking around for a compression checker but haven't found anyone with one.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? I don't want to put this thing back together and run into more problems.

Thanks

sepulchral
04-03-2007, 02:50 PM
do a search on google on how to perform a leakdown test and do it, compression testers are cheap, you can get one at harbor freight for 10 bucks but i wouldnt gurantee any accuracy

Blk240racer
04-03-2007, 02:55 PM
i were you, buy a compression tester and see how much compression you get from all cylinders. usually when you have milky oil like you stated, you've got anti-freeze leaking in your oil from somewhere.

steve shadows
04-03-2007, 02:59 PM
wait till the motor is nice and cold do the compression test, make sure the throttle plate is open...

next. start the car, open the radiator cap and wait for thermo topen or take out thermo and do same thing, then rev motor to like 6k or so, if water or steam shoots outl ike a gyser from the radiator, youve prolly got another symptom of a blown hg...

if you dont know what i just said and your still wondering what to do...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/RPSport/killyourself2.jpg

John_R
04-09-2007, 07:33 AM
So yeah. I compression tested the motor. All cylinders were good. Put everything back together. Re-wired my SAFC, found my problem there. Added fluid and cranked. Runs beautiful. Being the first time I've driven a boosted car I'm in shock. :2f2f: :jerkit:

I've got a couple of really minor issues i'm working on, but overall, I'm one happy driver now.