PDA

View Full Version : flush-mount or v-mount??

slideways2004
04-02-2007, 09:00 PM
i have a s14 sr, mostly stock with upgrades like fmic and simple little bolt ons and stock t28. i am trying to get even faster spool up throttle response. i am stuck in place tho- what to do with my intercooler. i know the piping for a front mount is pretty long and it can be shortened for better response. should i do a v-mount and a flush mount. by flush mount i mean the i/c in place of the stock radiator location and the radiator directly behind it with a e-fan

any other ideas to get faster response?

p.s. i will get a lighter flywheel/clutch combo soon

slideways2004
04-02-2007, 09:04 PM
it looks like uchi's onevia had this "flush" mount set-up. i know its a crappy pic, anyone have a better pic? imo this set-up is not much fab work and pretty easy to mount up. and no cutting of the front factory metal like core support.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8422/uchifullqi5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

MavericStephenc
04-02-2007, 09:14 PM
i dont understand the concept of flush mount.

but if i can help a v mount would decrease ic piping significantly as seen here

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/MavericStephenc/david1.jpg
doing this will not allow you to use your stock rad. mounting spot, therefore you would need to slan it back a little ways to the point where the ic and rad. look like "< " hence v mount.

i have heard that the real benifits only show when the caris moving at high speeds, so havinga push fanand a pull fan to pull airto the icandrad. would help, and it would also be wise to have a vented hood to allow cooling

i'm no expert but from what i have read this is how it is.
and please correct if i am wrong in any way

Ian
04-02-2007, 09:23 PM
"flush-mount" is kind of an awkward term for it

I think you want there to be spacing so you don't get heat fromt he radiator transferring to the intercooler (no contact)

But yeah...my setup is like this, I donno how it's gonna work yet.

smelly240
04-03-2007, 09:12 AM
its often called a mid mount... my cars had that since 2 yrs ago and i havent had problems... and it feels more responsive at first, but i wouldnt know anymore - its been like that so long. I tried v mount for a few weeks but i had problems with the intercooler i was using... boost leak test revealed it was leaking - so i had it welded and sold it.

PoorMans180SX
04-03-2007, 12:12 PM
A mid-mount is a great setup, but you have to worry about flow to your radiator too. I've heard of people overheating. There are also great IC's, like the full-race one, that would be perfect for a mid-mount right out of the box. For ease of setup, I would go with a mid-mount with some kind of isolator between it and the radiator, and then I would build some simple ducting to force air to both of them.

McRussellPants
04-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Uchis car is on what looks like around a 60mm turbo.

That car with the pink valve covers setup is ass in my face.

Don't worry about it, you have a T28R, you don't need faster response.

If you want the instant wheel speed like Tylers or Loseys car you just need more power.

slideways2004
04-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Uchis car is on what looks like around a 60mm turbo.

That car with the pink valve covers setup is ass in my face.

Don't worry about it, you have a T28R, you don't need faster response.

If you want the instant wheel speed like Tylers or Loseys car you just need more power.

yeah, i was thinking about this also, with more power, the tire will be able to "lose" grip easier and therefore teh engine speed goes higher, faster