PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light not working

rampid360
08-02-2002, 08:13 AM
Well, I know my check engine light is broken or burnt out because I should be throwing a code right now, and I'm not.

Is there a simple way to fix it?  I dont want to start tearing my dash apart without knowing what Im even looking for.

Thanks,
-Al

Jeff240sx
08-02-2002, 08:47 AM
You're saying it should be on because of the transmission actuator, right?  I'd do something that would REALLY throw a code, like remove the O2 sensor, or unplug your MAF.  If it doesn't light up... off with the instrument cluster.  It looks fairly easy to remove... the steering column covers, then another 4 screws... and it should come out.  
That's what I'd do anyway... because there is a possiblility that that particular code was cleared out of your ecu by the previous owner.
-Jeff

AKADriver
08-02-2002, 08:48 AM
If it still comes on (and turns off) when you start the car, then it's working just fine, and you're not throwing a code for some other reason.

rampid360
08-02-2002, 05:16 PM
It doesn't come on when I turn the car on.  Is this an auto-parts store bulb?  or a Nissan factory / rape-me harder light??

HippoSleek
08-05-2002, 07:06 AM
Having just played w/ my CEL this weekend (damb 34 $ 103!! ), I remember reading that position one (at least on DOHC cars) is the test mode.  When you access the ECU, when you first turn it clockwise over to the diagnosis mode, it stays on (then you go further and back to get to test mode).  Mode I allows you to test if it is working.  In your case, if the LED on the ECU is on, but not the CEL - it should be the bulb... if not... *shrug*

There is a very informative article on this in the FAQ at 240sx.org.

ni*2*ss*4*an*0*
08-05-2002, 07:48 PM
i believe there is a fuse for the cel too...you better check that first its usually with something else