PDA

View Full Version : Weird overheating issue KA24DE

jdm_s14_zenki
03-23-2007, 10:28 PM
So i just picked up this S13. Runs good and fine and everything, but today when i was driving, seems when i give it alot of gas, my temp gauge goes up. and wants to overheat. not sure whats going on but so far ive done:

checked water. good
no leaks.
thermastat SEEMS to be working, both hoses are hot.
I have a koyo alum. radiator with clutch fan, no fan shroud though.

I can drive all day long without it overheating, its just when i floor it, it gets hot. then if i stop flooring it, it goes back to normal.

I did cut the top radiator hose to shorten it because it was too long...some water spilled out, but i replaced the water...i dont think thats the problem..

any ideas would be cool. thanks.

s14dude
03-23-2007, 10:32 PM
try bleeding the system. since you had water leak out and cut the hose there may be air in the system.

try that first, that should solve it.

jdm_s14_zenki
03-23-2007, 10:36 PM
ya i figured it might be that , but i shortened the top hose...so i didnt think it would need bleeding. i'll bleed it anyways though. i'll post the results when im done.

s13gold
03-23-2007, 11:31 PM
might also be thermostat.

pr0ject TRUENO
03-24-2007, 01:44 AM
where do you live? so cal? just take your thermostat out. then flush the whole system, refill so theres no air bubbles.

jdm_s14_zenki
03-24-2007, 04:58 AM
well, i ran the car, tried to get the air bubbles out. a few air bubbles came out. i punched it quite a bit tonite, temp stayed normal. but i'lll try again when its warmer outside tomorrow. if that works then, cool.

SimpleSexy180
03-24-2007, 05:17 AM
radiator cap. sounds like your not getting enough pressure in the system.

b2oopie
03-24-2007, 06:59 AM
mine is doin samething, damn thing

g6civcx
03-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Don't trust the stock coolant temperature gauge. It's not accurate. You need a real temperature probe to display the exact temperature.

You need to pressure test the entire cooling system, including the cap. Then check the thermostat. The upper hose should be slightly warmer than the lower hose.

Then make sure you bleed well.

The last thing I would consider is something wrong with the water pump, or if you have rust/clog inside thd coolant passages.

ladiesman8527
03-24-2007, 07:57 AM
clutch fan with no fan shroud is practically useless. you really need a fan shroud. i forget the exact number and im sure it varies, but the average clutch fan with no shroud is like ~70% less functional than a fan with a shroud.

SimpleSexy180
03-24-2007, 11:02 AM
i have ran my ka without a shroud for a long time and i never experienced overheating problems because of it.

atleast im sure his problem at the moment is not the fan shroud causing the overheating.

jdm_s14_zenki
03-24-2007, 01:50 PM
im kinda leaning towards the radiator cap...because when i got the car a few days ago...everything was fine...but then i popped the radiator cap...and, thats when it started...the cap doesnt seem like its on right...know what i mean? just doesnt feel like it should...i'll try that.

wangan_cruiser
03-24-2007, 09:33 PM
check your thermostat. since u r about to fix it. you need to bleed it, take your thermostat off then get stainless bowl put some water in it then put the thermostat and boil it so you can see if your thermostat opens up when it heats up. id recommend buy a new thermostat haha

when u checked your thermostat reseal the thermostat housing with a new sealant and do your water pump too. check the waterpump for any freeplay with it. when your waterpump is shot it adds up for having intermittent overheating because the coolant flow and its not making any pressure when your waterpump is fckd up. then buy new hoses and fresh coolant since you are on it.

when u bleed jack your car as high as you can then take off the radiator cap, start your car and let it run for 15 mins. let the air bubbles burp. keep filling it up until your car wont overheat. just make sure u dont have a leak. if its doable you can replace your rad cap also

jdm_s14_zenki
03-25-2007, 05:07 AM
thanks for the tips man, i was driving around after i bleed the radiator...only a few burps but not much water needed to be added. no problems yet, but when i punch it a little, i can smell coolant when im at a light. not alot of coolant smell, but i can smell it. im thinking maybe a small pressure leak, and i think the cap might be the culprit. the hoses are on nice and tight so...i guess we'll see..

s14dude
03-25-2007, 02:07 PM
yup. sounds like you might have a problem with that cap. i got 2 extras if you need one. i think im just down the street from you too. lmk.

fridaytech
03-25-2007, 06:21 PM
too bleed air out of the system properly buy a tool like in the pic below. very inexpensive. works wonders

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s148/fridaytech/P1020176.jpg

jdm_s14_zenki
03-26-2007, 03:45 AM
fixed. swapped a radiator cap with my other 240...no more probs, but not i need another radiator cap to replace it so i'll pick it up from s14 dude. thanks man/

s14dude
03-26-2007, 10:28 AM
np dude. PM'd you. come pick it up whenever...im home after 6.

jdm_s14_zenki
04-04-2007, 09:40 PM
fixed the problem, it was a bad fan belt.