PDA

View Full Version : ECU question

DevLis
03-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Lately i was talking with some ppl about upgrading ECU chip.
And I was curious about if u install a ECU-managment system like Emanage or F-con do u still need to upgrade ur standard ecu chip??

johngriff
03-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Emanage Blue, it could be advantages to re-chipping. With the Emanage Ultimate using it ontop of the standard ECU, you will have no issue.

I would not recomend the F-Con, unless you have a dedicated tuner locally who can tune the F-Con, as software availability and japanese language barriers.

In this regard we are speaking of maximum/minimum +/- values over the ECM chip.

Have you looked into a full engine management system Like the Haltech (http://www.rpsport.net/product/RPSNISNS13-E8STRTKIT) Or Motech EMS. The haltech can be equiped with a plug and play harness, making it as easy as unbolting the ecu to install. There are also base Maps for engine setups such as the SR20.

This is another more dependable option, because you will not be reliant on the base settings of the factory ecu, and have your maximum ability in tunning.

GSXRJJordan
03-23-2007, 04:48 AM
There are three types of ECU upgrades, "piggy back" which is installed in addition to your existing (stock) ECU, "ROM tune" which replaces a daughtercard inside your ECU, or "standalone" which replaces your ECU all together. The Emanage and the Fcon are both piggy back units, although some of the FCons can be used as standalones. Basically, if you want to go with a piggyback unit, just read up, pick one, and install it in line with your current stock ECU - voila, "ECU upgrade".

Edit: well geez, if I'd have known Johngriff was gonna beat me to it, I woulda spruced up my answer a little bit more =P

DevLis
03-23-2007, 10:13 AM
There are three types of ECU upgrades, "piggy back" which is installed in addition to your existing (stock) ECU, "ROM tune" which replaces a daughtercard inside your ECU, or "standalone" which replaces your ECU all together. The Emanage and the Fcon are both piggy back units, although some of the FCons can be used as standalones. Basically, if you want to go with a piggyback unit, just read up, pick one, and install it in line with your current stock ECU - voila, "ECU upgrade".

Edit: well geez, if I'd have known Johngriff was gonna beat me to it, I woulda spruced up my answer a little bit more =P

That means no chip upgrade needed??

NemeGuero
03-23-2007, 10:23 AM
OPTIONS: (cliff notes from GSXRJJordan)
1. piggyback - a unit you wire WITH your ECU
2. ROM tune - a unit you wire INTO your ECU
3. standalone - a unit that REPLACES your ECU

You have to do one and only one.

DevLis
03-24-2007, 01:19 AM
okay thx, it's clear to me!!