PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

David16
08-01-2002, 10:07 AM
My check engine light came on awhile back at the same time my reignator started making lots of noise. I had the resignator removed, but the light didnt go away, do you guys have any idea how to reset the ecu to see if the problem is still there? or what my problem could be?

KoukiS14
08-01-2002, 12:36 PM
Assuming you have an S14, because I don't know if it's different or not on an S13 (never reset it on my S13), all you need to do is remove the ECU, then you'll find a screw on the backside of it... Just turn it all the way clockwise, wait a couple of seconds, then turn it back (the instructions are on the unit itself)   Ohhh. . and the key must be in the "on" position.. you can start the car if you want, but you don't have to.  

When you turn it clockwise, look at your engine light... it will flash X amount of times slowly, then X amount of times quickly.... This number is what's wrong... You can check this against the values in your FSM... or just ask someone on here =)

To remove the thing, it's a real bitch at first, but each subsequent time I've had to remove it (two times the other night) it's much much easier.  You need to actually unbolt the thing and turn it around, because the screw faces the firewall.  

Doing this did nothing for me each of the 4 times I tried it, because I haven't fixed my problem... it will run for ONE time without the light, but then you start it later on and it will come on within a minute.  My problem has not been fixed, so it will continue to do this... I don't plan on fixing my problem at all, because I don't care about emissons...  SO I'm going to just yank the bulb right out of there and not worry about it =)

-Rob