PDA

View Full Version : Will running test pipe in place of dummy be louder

s13pignose
03-18-2007, 11:06 AM
I really like my exhaust, nice and deep...no rice. But it's a little on the quiet side. 3" Id and all it's still a little on the quiet side:hs:. I wan't it a lil louder, but not enough to get pulled over. I have no problem with cops as it is.

I don't plan to get a header, cause I know I won't have a cat at all then, and thats a no brainer it will be too loud...so my only other idea was to replace my dummy cat with a 3" resonated pipe. I figure the size difference would add a litle more tone to it?

Or will it probably remain the same:-/ . Looking at this pipe btw.

http://www.projectnissan.com/shopping/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=103&idproduct=591.

I tried search buy morst were fs posts or tech posts that didn't help. It's a s14 too.

tknbkthrsdy4anfg
03-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Wait, so you have a dummy cat right now?
So does that mean you have a cat with all the catalyst material punched out, or you have a tube that looks like a cat but it hollow, because it sounds like you already have a test pipe. However, if you have a cat right now and switch to a dummy cat or test pipe, yes your exhaust will be louder.

s13pignose
03-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Nah I thought the the resonator looking thing on s14's was a fake cat, and the actual working one was in the "downpipe" of the exhaust manifold. What I'm thinking about doing is replacing the fake which is probably stock pipe size and I guess maybe restrictive inside, with test pipe that's 3".

Only thing is I'm wondering if it will even make a slight difference. I guess it all depends on how restrictive the fake cat is.

projectRDM
03-18-2007, 11:49 AM
It will. Right now the secondary cat is acting like a resonator by 'whipping' the air inside before pushing it out. Though it won't be a huge difference it will be noticeably louder and change in pitch.

s13pignose
03-18-2007, 06:47 PM
It will. Right now the secondary cat is acting like a resonator by 'whipping' the air inside before pushing it out. Though it won't be a huge difference it will be noticeably louder and change in pitch.

Hey thanks for both you guys replying, really helped