PDA

View Full Version : having trouble with shifter, Reluctant to go into gear

Black 97SE
03-17-2007, 10:24 AM
When I press down my clutch, my shift knob refuses to go into gear unless it's forced in. Somebody suggested that maybe I have a leak somewhere in my slave or whatever, but my clutch fluid is topped off. Another suggestion that was made was that my syncs for some gears are worn out.

Description of problem:
1) Shifter being blocked by something when trying to slide into gear
2) Can be slammed into gear with force
3) Only having this issue when car is stopped and is at idle speed.
4) Not hearing any grinding noise from transmission when gear is finally obtained

Hypothesis:
1) I doubt that my clutch is burned out, but could be a possibility. I'm not sure since the idea was just suggested and not proven, but I do feel that maybe the syncs are dead because occasionally throughout the last 5 years of owning the car, I've noticed that sometimes when I shift too quickly into 3rd I'd hear what I thought was a grinding noise, but my friend told me it was actually not the gear that was grinding, but rather the sync for that gear grinding. I do not know if this is correct, but it sounds logical to me.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is would be greatly appreciated.

nissanberto
03-17-2007, 10:24 AM
throw out bearing?

Nismosigma
03-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Hmmm well you could have a couple of problems. Try to get the clutch checked out, that could possibly be the problem. Get the clutch linkage checked, you could also possibly have worn bearings.

g-ride
03-17-2007, 12:44 PM
If its only at stop id say its a motor or tranny mount problem.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
03-17-2007, 01:38 PM
replace your slave cylinder. done.

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
03-17-2007, 02:13 PM
replace your slave cylinder. done.
that's what i wa thinking too.

kandyflip445
03-17-2007, 03:50 PM
If its only at stop id say its a motor or tranny mount problem.

How would that have something to do with his problem?

g-ride
03-17-2007, 10:39 PM
because if the motor/tranny is in a bind it wont want to shift. When the motor has torque on it it could be taking the bind out. it fixed the same problem in my honda... although it was a fwd with shift linkage involved. just a thought.

Black 97SE
03-27-2007, 02:18 PM
so I took the car to the autoshop and they examined the car. They said that the pressure plates are broken on my clutch. Last night I drove the car and heard a scratching noise coming from under the hood, so they said that it was the fork arm or whatever making that noise while I pushed the clutch pedal in. The outcome is $897 for a new clutch and flywheel. I don't know if the shop is being shady, but when I called this morning, they said something about a spring being completely broken. so I don't know what's going on.

SPEC01
03-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Hope that included labor....Cause unless your flywheel is completely useless it should be able to be resurfaced. I don't know where they are getting a stock replacement clutch from but when i bought one through auto zone just to get the car going it was about $150. The noise you might have heard could have been your throw out bearing or you have a bent fork and its hitting the pressure plate cover. Just my $.02

Black 97SE
03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
would the problem you suggested result in a complete replacement of the clutch and flywheel?

The flywheel that I bought for the fix is just a resurfaced one. I didn't get a brandnew flywheel.

Black 97SE
03-27-2007, 02:53 PM
as of right now, the car is unable to start. I'm able to start the car in neutral, but unable to shift into any gears. When I start the car in gear such as reverse, the car will start to move as soon as I turn the key even when the clutch pedal is pressed down.

aznpoopy
03-27-2007, 03:12 PM
if your pressure plate teeth are snapped or your slave doesn't work your clutch will not disengage.

if your clutch is always on, you will be unable to start the car or shift gears without great difficulty.

pull off the tranny and check.

for parts, you need a new slave (cuz you said it leaks), a clutch kit (which includes pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch disk). these parts would run $2-300ish or so for oem replacement stuff. you can resurface your flywheel or buy a new one.

$900 is a bit steep for parts and labor but not unbelievable.

g6civcx
03-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Stop jamming the gear shift into gear. You can shift clutchlessly, but if you don't know how to do it you'll instantly destroy your synchros.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have gearbox damage on top of your problems.

kandyflip445
03-27-2007, 04:42 PM
because if the motor/tranny is in a bind it wont want to shift. When the motor has torque on it it could be taking the bind out. it fixed the same problem in my honda... although it was a fwd with shift linkage involved. just a thought.

But like you said, your Honda has a shift linkage. IIRC they're usually cable. Though some of them have bars.