PDA

View Full Version : where can i get an FJ20ET

twofortyrida1388
03-15-2007, 10:58 PM
i really want one of these. use to be a race motor for all kinds of nissans back in 80's. i want it because it is extremely solid motor. i read it can hit 10000rpm. and like alot of other nissan engines it has interchangable parts from other engines like the l series. i know its old and will need rebuilding but its og and this is the route i want to go. i read it has the same m. mounts as ca which has same mount as ka so bingo. check it out its badass. ( http://www.turbocreations.com/fj20/s12dragcar/ )

zugoi
03-15-2007, 11:28 PM
wow that s12 looks awesome. The fj20 is cool becuase its not as popular as the sr now.so people wont know what it is right away and that hopefully goes for cops as well. :)

s13speeddrft
03-15-2007, 11:31 PM
here was a post on this stuff a while back. hope it helps.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=132115&highlight=fj20

thejapino
03-15-2007, 11:32 PM
fj's pop up on the classifieds on http://dimequarterly.com/ sometimes.

twofortyrida1388
03-15-2007, 11:44 PM
thanks i cant wait for the shock factor of someone popping the hood and is like WTF???

Hillkill
03-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Check out fj20.com That s12 was also sold just recently but I think he kept the motor. club-s12.org might have some info for you too. I've been meaning to ask my importer how much he could get a fj20 for ahwile. I'll try to remember next time.

twofortyrida1388
03-16-2007, 12:50 AM
please let me know what he says and ill check this out. thanks.

drift freaq
03-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Heh FJ20's are heavy as fuck. Add no parts availability to the equation and expensive if you can get them and it all adds up to a waste of time and effort in a S chassis.
Don't get me wrong it was a badass engine back in the day. I know I used to sell them. Though at this time your talking about an engine that has not been produced for over 20 years!!

wootwoot
03-16-2007, 12:59 AM
I dont know why but this feels the equivalent of putting a coal powered steamer inside of a once nuclear attack submarine.

zugoi
03-16-2007, 01:01 AM
Well if we get it we can just add it to our Rare parts list!

seekanddestroy
03-16-2007, 01:10 AM
If you want a high revving motor, get a CA.

Parts are pretty available, get a 4port head (look on nico for people selling them) and build it up.

twofortyrida1388
03-16-2007, 01:18 AM
i have read many threads about this fr and i look at it like whats the difference in american v8's that are still being swapped today in muscle cars 30/40 years old. i know its old and heavy and out dated but i want something different and the engine is stronger than sr and ka and is extremely rev happy. im just sick of the sr, ka, rb20/25 and fucking v8's. i would love to have the god rb26 but that would cost even more than fr and requires too much fabricating and working out room issues. that motor is way in future. i want this motor and there is nothing wrong with using and calling it stupid or whatever i dont give a shit. this IS what i want and if i get self satisfaction from it and it makes me happy then good. i would rather spent more on this than sr b/c after the sr is in im like wow this motor is boring. i love sr but its just boring to me its time for something newish considering age of it.

s13silvia123
03-16-2007, 01:24 AM
i have read many threads about this fr and i look at it like whats the difference in american v8's that are still being swapped today in muscle cars 30/40 years old. i know its old and heavy and out dated but i want something different and the engine is stronger than sr and ka and is extremely rev happy. im just sick of the sr, ka, rb20/25 and fucking v8's. i would love to have the god rb26 but that would cost even more than fr and requires too much fabricating and working out room issues. that motor is way in future. i want this motor and there is nothing wrong with using and calling it stupid or whatever i dont give a shit. this IS what i want and if i get self satisfaction from it and it makes me happy then good. i would rather spent more on this than sr b/c after the sr is in im like wow this motor is boring. i love sr but its just boring to me its time for something newish considering age of it.

have you ever consider the RB30 swap

twofortyrida1388
03-16-2007, 01:25 AM
i wasnt talking to you seek in last post. i am still considering ca and parts can be got for it at advance by just asking for pulsar nx. and it is the rb's daddy but the link i put up just shoved me towards fr its just a badass oldschool engine that is rev happy apparently rocks some good torque and parts are interchangable with L series.

twofortyrida1388
03-16-2007, 01:29 AM
not really. i know about it. its got torque. but the fitting issue comes into play again and is too complicated for me. its a sohc stock and i know there have been rb25/26 heads put on so it can somewhat rev but the crank isnt fully counterweighted i beleive. idk. its was only sold in australia.

twofortyrida1388
03-16-2007, 01:31 AM
does anyone know where else i can get one. theres got to be some australian engine exporters to us. ill try searching more.

drift freaq
03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Your sick of all these engines? Have you even installed them or driven them? Thats a bold statement to make. Unless you can back it up with proof that you have already installed all of the above in a S chassis and had experience with them its rather ignorant.
I probably have better qualifications for making a statement like that but even I would not.
I have seen to many people embark on endeavors like what your stating above. Only to get stopped dead cold, disgusted and frustrated because they cannot get the parts needed, or have enough money to even go there. End result they wind up selling the whole thing off because they cannot move forward. What some of us are trying to do here, is help you get a inkling of common sense about this. Not call you stupid.
Trust me there is a reason old 510 guys who had FJ's and ran them have now since sold off their engines and or parts. Like I stated earlier its a parts unavailable situation here in the U.S. Ya you can try and source shit out of Australia. Time and money like I sated earlier.
You try to use to old V8 argument as reasoning, thats a big fail on you. V8 technology has been relatively stable for a good 40 years. Unless your talking mid 90's Fords and 2000 plus GM's nothing has changed. Also American muscle cars are so popular with collectors that there are have a dozen or more parts suppliers specifically catering to their needs. Add to that the fact that GM and Ford and Chrysler still make a good number of parts for those engines and your argument about V8's is weak at best.
If you want to go and waste your time and money on what is more than likely a useless endeavor. Just don't come crying back here when your stuck and have to sell it off because its costing you way to much money.
We tried to help but like a typical newb you won't listen. I suggest you take the cotton out of your ears and stick it in your mouth.

twofortyrida1388
03-16-2007, 01:33 PM
I knew a smart ass who thinks he's seen it all and thinks old is bad and spending more is stupid who have to put in his $.02. Like I said I read many threads on this engine and there were plenty of your kind. I didnt want neg feedback or a flame just sources. But you pointed out something I didnt realize I said and that was "sick". I shouldnt have said it. I love Nissan and all its motors I really ment bored with them. I have never done an rb swap but why put in all the money and work for an rb20 or rb25 when the rb26 is out there. I have not done any of these for the fact that I do not have the tools available for big fabrication of parts or modification of the car its self for room. Trust me if I had the tools I would be all over the rb26. From what I read the fr will basically bolt in and is an oldschool power house. It doesnt need sleeves like the sr needs when huge numbers are being pushed and it is rev happy unlike the ka. Iv done sr swaps and its no longer fun and I like my ka but i have had bad experiences with it. I know its capable and I just happened to have got a lemon. I just want to try something difference for once. I know its gonna cost me and its def gonna be a challenge but that what I want. There still is the possibility of a ca swap but i think a 1.8 may be just a little too small. It is strong, available, and rb ancestor but the fr has proven itself years ago. The only reason nissan stopped its production is because it cost so much to make a high quality motor of its caliper. Thakns for your advice, all I asked for was where to get get one not for you to flame or attack me.

fliprayzin240sx
03-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Its far and few in between state side. Youll prolly have a better chance of importing one from Australia since its still fairly popular set up down under. I remember there was a guy selling a fairly brand new FJ a few years back. He bought it back in the late 80s and sat in a warehouse for over 10 years. Basically forgot all about it...he wanted like $6k for it....

steve shadows
03-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Its a great engine and platform if you can find one, better than the sr20 imo.

I think Adam Corolla has one actually in a 510 , or at least he used to.

twofortyrida1388
03-16-2007, 05:11 PM
thanks. i wanted advice or positive feedback not that bullshit like above. on fresh alloy this guy kept sending negative bullshit to a guy wanting what i want.

johngriff
03-16-2007, 07:11 PM
They are what i would want the sr's valvetrain to operate like, sans the iron block.

Where to get one:????
For steve's example, corolla paid $8500 for a brand new one from a guy in Colorado that was brand new. No engine importers really import them any longer.

So... if you wanted one. I would get in touch with John @NeoTech Imports (http://neotechimports.com/). He goes to japan to fill his own containers. I am sure if you put a down, he could pull one for you, load it and ship it. The exact situation you will probably have to work out with him. I think they came in the 83-86.5 S12, and the R30 IIRC.

twofortyrida1388
03-16-2007, 07:52 PM
thanks man that is a great starting point. i cant wait to get that badboy.

twofortyrida1388
03-17-2007, 09:43 PM
the neotech link wont work

SaintlyCharBoy
03-18-2007, 03:41 AM
click link again, delete close parenthesis from the address bar
or
google neo tech imports
click first link

I just want to be clear, you want a challenge, so you'll install a great engine with no state side support, but you don't want a challenge, so you won't install another great engine that has a growing state side presence?

thejapino
03-18-2007, 12:14 PM
fj's are very overbuilt, tough motors. beefier than already tough L-series

twofortyrida1388
03-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I want challenge but the straight 6 rb series require too much altering of the tranny area and mass relocation of engine components. The FR has more drop in type of qualities. Its short, smaller tranny, 4cyl., and from what i have found/read it has same mounts as ca which has same mounts as ka.

RoyalFlush
03-18-2007, 12:32 PM
i doubt this will ever happen anyway, noobs always come in here all the time with high hopes and dreams but they never follow through because there always in over there head.

im not trying to flame you or attack you but when you call good advice from drift freaq bull shit thats just asking for it, come back when its done then post a thread about the buildup, but until then, just be quiet.

wootwoot
03-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Well drift freaq is salty about dumb questions but rightly so. As I said, I found a good boiler on ebay if you want to make your 240 steam powered.

people arent swapping in old v8's into import cars either. Almost all I have seen are light weight aluminium blocks that weigh damn close to the stock motor. Dont be such a hater! Just to be different is not near sane reason enough to do something difficult

drift freaq
03-18-2007, 01:21 PM
thanks. i wanted advice or positive feedback not that bullshit like above. on fresh alloy this guy kept sending negative bullshit to a guy wanting what i want.
Bullshit? Listen punk ass. You talk like a dreamer, I have done stuff and I have been involved with Nissans for 20+ years. I sold FJ's when you were in diapers.
The information I put up there was very valid. Why don't you try taking some advice for once. If you want to throw all your money away on something that you may not even be able to get or even able to finish thats your business. Though you come on here asking for advice, and when it is not what you want to hear you call it bullshit. Real smart, and mature. NOT!

P.S. finding a FJ in Japan these days is like finding a SSS L16 your not going to. The only FJ's in Japan are owned by owners of cars that they came in. Those cars are now considered collectable and you will pay for the car to get the engine.
Now mods please close this thread.

ThatGuy
03-18-2007, 01:29 PM
You have gotten the information you need. Good luck with the project. If you actually manage to pull it off, feel free to post a build-up thread. Until that time, though, this thread is over.

:lockd: