PDA

View Full Version : rattle can paint job

carlova78
03-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey guys anyone done the rattle can paint job? My fenders got a dent in it and some paint chiped off and you can see a little plastic. Would I have to sand the area or the whole fender or just prime and paint over the original paint?

carlova78
03-14-2007, 07:42 PM
its the big scratch/dent on the front fender btw

SimpleSexy180
03-14-2007, 07:58 PM
if you are the type of person who likes everything clean, immaculate and wants shit done right...then yes your idea would be the right direction...

but its not even that bad imo...just get some white spray paint and go over that area....

kasokuracing
03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Hello,
The first thing your gonna want to do is fix the dent and scratch with a little bit of bondo. You will need to sand with 80 or 120 grt so your bondo will stick. Then spread the mud (bondo) over the dent. Smooth out your body work with some 180 and work your way up from there. After 180 go 240 after that go 320 and then you should be ready to primer your body work. You can primer with spray can primer on just the area you body worked. Once it is primered make sure the work is strait. You can now start to wet sand with 320 and use a little putty if you need a slight increase in filler. Once you are happy with the body work, wet sand the whole fender with 400 grt and then 500 grt. If your paint has metallic go up to 600 grt, if not 500 will do for solid colors. Make sure you sand out all the scratches of 320 grt from your body work and that you prep the edges well (that is where peeling will most likely start from if prep work is done bad). Now that you have your fender prepped mask off what you don't want painted. Take your time in all your prep work...it is the most important part of painting. You can find some paint stores that will mix OEM paints and put them in a spray can, but few stores still do. So if you want a match your gonna have to shoot it with a spray gun. Talk to your local paint store for more help with that. Let me know if I have answered your question and if you need any more help! :)

koukimonster139
03-14-2007, 08:03 PM
if you are the type of person who likes everything clean, immaculate and wants shit done right...then yes your idea would be the right direction...

but its not even that bad imo...just get some white spray paint and go over that area....

if that were the case there wouldnt be any rattle cans involved.

go graffiti a sign or something not your fucking car

SimpleSexy180
03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
thats why i said its in the right direction. sanding/primer BS.

s13b
03-14-2007, 11:44 PM
hmmn.. i wouldn't use a spray can primer, the bondo Might crack in the future, and if using real actual car paint, it might create fish eyes or it might just eeat through the spray can primer....just for a heads up.

s13gold
03-15-2007, 12:50 AM
if you have decent paint now, just go to a one day and have it color matched.

will look better and its not too expensive.
should be about 100 bucks.

carlova78
03-15-2007, 02:53 PM
i was ganna go with dulpli color. Someone told be some of those steps werent going to be needed with the dupilcolor.