PDA

View Full Version : Need stock catalytic info for 93 240 Hatch

PHxS
03-13-2007, 08:18 PM
I bought my 240 hatch a couple of months back and noticed that it has had the catalytic converter replaced a while ago. Since then, i've been waiting to change out parts and upgrade. The replacement was fitted by cutting off the header and exhaust flanges. Not having a stock cat to go on, i'd like to ask if there is anyone who can answer a few questions on the dimensions of the cat:

1. What is the length from flange to flange?

2. Does either end have any bends in the pipe?

3. Isn't it two bolts at the header and three bolts at the exhaust?

4. While i'm post this here, what is the stock size of the exhaust?
(While I know I would find this here, i've never had any luck with forum searches, but I know i'll most likely catch hell for it and be linked to a search that shows the answer. Figured that it couldn't hurt to tag it on to this post.)

Thanks for the interest and for any help with getting me towards some horsepower gains.

Thanks,
Ryan

nissandr1ft
03-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Should be the same 2 bolt flange side to side. and I dont think theres a bend on it.

contranication
03-13-2007, 08:42 PM
I just pulled my stock exhaust out, with the cat if you want I'll take some pics for you, just pm me your email

Oh I have an s14, I don't know if they are close to the same but I'll still send you some pics if you want

punxva
03-13-2007, 10:15 PM
well the shop that i had install my magnaflow hi flow cat, welded that shit on, which was retarted, but it is 2 bolts on both sides, and no bends

PHxS
03-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the quick replies so far.

I believe that the S14 is slightly different, but I don't know for sure. It would make sense to me to use the same part for the cat and design a new exhaust for the chassis, but what makes sense to me is not always true.

PUNXVA: I figure that its easier and cheaper than carrying an assortment of flange sizes/patterns, welding pipe to length, and fitting the flanges. Time is money in the business world.

While i'm looking around the internut (ebay), anyone know if there were any major differences between an aftermarket exhaust "designed" for an s13 with an SR20DE(T) and an american s13? I only ask out of entertaining some wild notions.

Ryan

punxva
03-13-2007, 11:43 PM
the exhausts are the same

Tenchuu
03-14-2007, 12:03 AM
werd 2 opposing bolts, straight through

PHxS
03-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Interesting, thanks.

Now I just need the length of the factory cat and I can develop my devious plan.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ameer
03-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Interesting, thanks.

Now I just need the length of the factory cat and I can develop my devious plan.

Thanks,
Ryan

What is your devious plan?

Dream240
03-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Here's a link to some aftermarket cats for the 240sx. Magnaflow makes great stuff and I'm currently running the stock replacement cat and I passed smog no problem. They also have the measurements on there for your "plan".

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02converters.asp

just enter the necessary info for your needs and search. I bought the direct fit #22767, works fine. You might want to get the direct fit (#53006) cat since that one will need to be welded on.

Since your looking for power gains and you have cut flanges, why dont you upgrade the header to an OBX and getthe universal fit cat? Then you can just bolt up any exhaust you want. That's what i would do that way you can remove these parts anytime you need to without breaking the welds.

just a thought.

projectRDM
03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
All S13 and S14 cars use the same canister, there's just material inside the S13s while *most* S14s are hollow. Same size, flanges, length, etc. As for what that length is, good question, I've never measured one. Any of the cat delete pipes, test pipes, etc. will tell you for certain, you may also find someone local who has a few laying around and check. I've got one somewhere and might can do it tomorrow if I remember to.

PHxS
03-14-2007, 08:32 PM
AMEER: it's not exactly devious, I just used that adjective to make the word "plan" sound better.

DREAM240: This was exactly my plan. I'm changing out everything for a complete aftermarket setup. I'm probably going to get one of the OBX knockoffs (which I believe is actually a knockoff of someone else's design) and get one of the random cheap exhausts, all from EBAY. I know that I am going to get some flamage for that one, but when monetary help comes with a budget, you do what you can.

Magnaflow looks like the route i'm going to take for the cat. I'm digging those spun metallic ones.

R240NA: Don't worry about measuring one, because if the Magnaflow website is correct, I now have my length measurement. Thanks for the offer though, it was appreciated.

As far as the (devious) plan goes, I was going to run a three inch exhaust and a three inch cat with a tapered section from the header to the converter. It just makes sense to me as I need to do something for emissions (I'm tired of getting pulled over). Figured that if I know that i'll need the extra volume in the exhaust department, might as well do it now. I know that a swap or a turbo setup is in the future. Cheap now, pay later kinda thing.

It's not going to be the best solution down the road, but i'm just trying to get legal and get something out of it for the time being. Although, any extra advice or assistance will be accepted.

Thanks,
Ryan