PDA

View Full Version : exhaust leak

drewford
03-13-2007, 01:59 AM
So a couple weeks ago I noticed my exhaust sprung a leak as it sounded like a balloon was deflating under the car (after the cat). No worries as I thought I could manage it until i got my tax returns. Since then its getting progressively worse.

As I was driving home from school today I decide to drive with AC on since I cant handle the exhaust fumes anymore while sitting at red lights. I was driving for 5 mins when I realized my car was having a hard time accelerating and then shifting gears (AT). Thought AC had somethin to do with it and turned it off but still kinda hesitant. About 5 more mins go by and I notice the water temp began to climb and i turn on the heater full blast. It settles back to below middle but Im freaking out now and scared to drive it tomorrow. Should I be worried? I've already blown headgasket twice on a diff motor and afraid to again.. HEEELP!

FYI its a stock S14. New waterpump, '98 distributor, new MAF, new spark plugs/wires, code-free since Nov 06!!

Dream240
03-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Are you throwing any codes right now?

First off I would get underneath your car and find the exhaust leak you say you hear and smell. The smell could be misleading, and could be coming from the header or somewhere else (PCV).

Also the AC bogging problem could be entirely separate and just a coincidence. As far as that goes, if your temp goes down with the heater on you have a coolant problem. Check thermostat, coolant temp sensor, and hoses for a flow problem.

GL

drewford
03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
thanks for the reply. i drove the car around last nite after the post and i guess it was just the AC and didnt notice it since I never use it.. I'm sure the leaks coming after the cat because theres an unmistakable amount of noise and air coming through the section. But I'll take a closer look when I get it on jackstands this weekend.

Ess14
03-13-2007, 01:57 PM
You gonna wait 4 days?

Dream240
03-13-2007, 02:22 PM
thanks for the reply. i drove the car around last nite after the post and i guess it was just the AC and didnt notice it since I never use it.. I'm sure the leaks coming after the cat because theres an unmistakable amount of noise and air coming through the section. But I'll take a closer look when I get it on jackstands this weekend.

Well, a temp problem like that isn't going to happen just from the AC. Have you done a maintenance to this car yet? Serviced the cooling system at all? Running the AC under hotter weather temps will net a completely different result then when you do it at night.

If you're car is getting really poor performance when the AC is on then you might want to check for loose ACC belts, bad engine bay ground, poorly charging battery or faulty alternator.

AC start up causees a greater load on the engine and charging system. Inspect these simple things and see if you find anything out of the ordinary.

Not to imply anything but, how's your overall car knowledge? Do you have a FSM yet?

drewford
03-13-2007, 04:01 PM
The cooling system systems fine. I put in a new radiator and since then have gone on to replace a couple misc. hoses. It has a new thermostat (failsafe) so I'll check up on that. And all electrical seems fine but Ill go over it and ACC at a later time. And yes I do have the FSM.

punxva
03-13-2007, 10:25 PM
if you really want to find the leak, you can use some Seafoam and put it into your vacuum line going from the brake booster to the intake manifold, which will make it smoke like a bitch, and you will be able to see exactually where the leak is, the only downside to doing this is you will need to replace your sparkplugs and o2 sensor since they will most likely be fouled afterwards

Tenchuu
03-14-2007, 12:12 AM
if it is an exhaust leak like you say it is it will be easy to find.

stick your hand under the car, and move it around anyplace there is an exhaust gasket DO NOT TOUCH EXHAUST WHILE CAR IS RUNNING OR UNTIL CAR IS COOLED DOWN!!

had to say that so you can't blame me if you burn yourself, but the leak will feel like wind "puffing" on your hand if a gasket is bad, or the bolts are over or under tightened.

I always double gasket every exhaust gasket because of the two bolt design does lead to allot of leaks with after market cats/downpipes/or catback exhausts.

this shouldn't take you more than 5 min to do, and eve with a lowered car i can do it with no jack on level ground.

if it is not around the cat, check all seals from the manifold seals on the block back. but once again this is assuming that it is an exhaust (read LOUD) not a smaller vaccume leak like others stated, an exhaust leak is unmistakable once you have heard what one sounds like.