PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating

98koukile
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Does anyone on here know if you can powder coat the compressor half of the turbocharger? I know I've seen it done on a show car but never on a DD or a somewhat frequently used turbo. Has anybody tried it or does anyone think it would work well?

DP_Michelle G
03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes you can, but there is really no point in doing it. unless it will help in heat reduction.

98koukile
03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Well I was going to get my valve cover powder coated and if I do get a top mount set up, I just figured it might be easier to clean shit off of it

S13 Charlie
03-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Yes you can, but there is really no point in doing it. unless it will help in heat reduction.

Well, there is a point for him to do it, and that's appearance. Don't be so quick to dismiss the guy just because he is asking about a non-performance modification.

Yes, you can definitely get the compressor housing p-coated. If you do it, then you should make sure that none of the coating gets on the internals of the housing. I know I wouldn't want that crap in my engine. What worries me about powdercoating the comp. housing is that the coating might prevent heat from disapating from the turbo and raising your charge temperature. Then again, that's what intercoolers are for, heh. Have you thought about just polishing the part instead? Everyone likes bling!

-C

98koukile
03-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah definitely open to other ideas

sbanzer123
03-08-2007, 07:19 PM
i dont think that powder coating can handle that kind of heat you would have to go with another kind of coating such as jet hot.

98koukile
03-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah that was my main concern. Valve covers and other little things people powder coat don't generally get as hot as the turbo would. I'm hoping the guy I know can give me suggestions although he may not be in the know on the temp an average compressor gets. We'll see what he comes up with

SochBAT
03-08-2007, 09:32 PM
are you all serious?

everyone STFU, and hit up TRGCoating.com

98koukile
03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
That doesn't answer anything though, I've been there. Is that going on a show car or will that turbo see full boost? I could take a picture of a solid gold turbo that looked awesome on an engine but it doesn't mean its gunna work. Their performance coating tab has been "coming soon" for too long, maybe that will have some helpful info but until then they are useless.
Thanks for the help though

fromxtor
03-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I've got mine done. :bow: The center section is also done.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/fromxtor/000_0443.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/fromxtor/000_0444.jpg
^^ High temp silver

SochBAT
03-08-2007, 09:53 PM
That doesn't answer anything though, I've been there. Is that going on a show car or will that turbo see full boost? I could take a picture of a solid gold turbo that looked awesome on an engine but it doesn't mean its gunna work. Their performance coating tab has been "coming soon" for too long, maybe that will have some helpful info but until then they are useless.
Thanks for the help though

Socheat Men: off hand, do you know whats the max temp your coating can take?
TRGCoating: the cold side its no problem
TRGCoating: standard powders are good up to 350f for prolonged periods of time
Socheat Men: but won't be able to withstand turbo applications?
TRGCoating: there is also high temp powders good to 1000-1400f but theyre limited in colors
TRGCoating: cold side of the housing wouldnt get hot enough to mess up the coating
TRGCoating: ive done tons of them

Go TechSupport.

CliffNotes = Possible with limited colors. Black and Silver.

Chez
03-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I ceramic coated several turbos and they look as good today as they did the day i sprayed them...

fromxtor
03-08-2007, 10:05 PM
I can get high temp black and silver done here locally.So anyone that wants something done PM me.