PDA

View Full Version : LSD -- KAAZ vs Carbonetics (ATS Deftforce)

adstudio3d
03-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Ok, so I finally saved up the money and am looking to buy a good diff...
I street my car, and want to autoX and drift with it so I'd rather get a 1.5...

I was wondering if anyone has used both of these and could compare the two.
Also, is the Carbonetics metal 1.5 as strong engagement and innitial torque as their 2way?

I can get both diffs for about the same price maybe $50 difference...
Any preferences? Just want to see what people think of the two side to side...

codyace
03-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Never used an ATS diff, but I've had my 1.5 way Kaaz in the car now for about a year and love it! Been through quite a few HPDE track days, and is street/daily driven in the warm months of the year (aka: when there is no snow)....

Not saying either is better than the other, but I have NO complaints about my KAAZ

adstudio3d
03-08-2007, 09:42 AM
thats cool. Does it lock up quickly? Do you get a lot of under steer? and how is the clunking noise? i've seen a lot of people with kaaz say they are annoying...

I've driven in a couple cars with the 2way deftforce lsd, but never been in a car with the 1.5way diffs... The people who have Carbonetics(ATS) swear by them and so far it seams the same way with kaaz. I know I'll be happy with either, I just wanted to get a good idea of the difference in the two brands.

silnismo
03-08-2007, 11:53 AM
i believe ATS would have very little clunking, if any cuz of the carbon plates, over metel ones in kaaz. more streetable.

my .02

adstudio3d
03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
i was talking about the carbonetics metal lsd, not the carbon one... its in my first post. The carbon one is supposed to be stonger and quieter, but for me I'd rather deal with a little noise, and save a few hundred dollars for gear oil and what not...

FR=smiles
03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
BUY ATS! JUST DO IT. they are by far the best lsds on the market fro drifting. They ast 4 times longer than other lsd's due to their carbon plates.

Have one in my FC,, its awesome.

adstudio3d
03-08-2007, 01:47 PM
BUY ATS! JUST DO IT. they are by far the best lsds on the market fro drifting. They ast 4 times longer than other lsd's due to their carbon plates.

Have one in my FC,, its awesome.

I have not seen proof that the carbon units last longer than their metal ones... Carbon does not conduct as much heat as the metal plates, but if you look at carbon brake pads, they work much better for a shorter amount of time... Carbonetics is pushing their carbon lsd's, I'd like to see durability tests that prove the carbon lsd's last 4x longer than their metal ones before i spend the extra $$$ for the carbon unit.

Thanks for the responses guys keep em' comin

RightWheelDrive
03-08-2007, 03:15 PM
I have a ATS 2-way. I love its response and would definately buy it again. I have not tried a KAAZ so I don't have anything to say about it except I hear many good things about them. My advice is to get the one that is cheaper to maintain (ie, gear oil, rebuild costs,etc) since that adds up...very quickly.

codyace
03-08-2007, 09:35 PM
thats cool. Does it lock up quickly? Do you get a lot of under steer? and how is the clunking noise? i've seen a lot of people with kaaz say they are annoying...

The diff locks up very quickly, and I've never had any instance of it locking or unlocking unexpectedly...

As far as clunking, it's noticeable at low (5-10) mph very tight corners (parking, parking lot turns etc etc) but I've grown accustomed too it...having a air locker in my truck that I usually left selected, this is very nice...

I noticed a sligth push when using crappy tires, but a good set of sticky tires solved the problem...however I've never noticed anything like that on the street...in fact you can really throw/toss the car around a lot easier on track too (if you would want to)

And as far as annoying, the car has full suspension (coilvoers/links/rear x brace, etc etc) and I track it....so alot of the rattles and shit I just ignore (although interior panel rattles annoy the fawk out of me)...

As with anything to make it handle better, you do loose some degree of comfort...but lets face it, these are S chassis cars, not A chassis ones :D

BUT, I keep stressing, that Im' not saying Kazz>*....but the Kaaz does work...I think at that point in the game, all mechanical plate diffs are =...

adstudio3d
03-09-2007, 07:16 AM
I have a ATS 2-way. I love its response and would definately buy it again. I have not tried a KAAZ so I don't have anything to say about it except I hear many good things about them. My advice is to get the one that is cheaper to maintain (ie, gear oil, rebuild costs,etc) since that adds up...very quickly.

Yea I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we can make a list of acceptable gear oils for the two diffs, and compare pricing of rebuild parts and oils.

codyace
03-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Yea I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we can make a list of acceptable gear oils for the two diffs, and compare pricing of rebuild parts and oils.

Either way you go is going to cost you a decent chunk of change in the end...I know with Kaaz you can run Dyno GL-5 80/90 and then add friction modifer (5-7 bucks at CarQuest) and be done with it...I guess for lack of better term, worry less about the price, and worry more about it working....

I change my oil ever other oil change...the cost of gear oil and modifier is pennies...resist the urge to buy some crazy JDM stuff and save it for fluids :D

PS: Very aggrevating to purchase domestic diffs for 400-600 dollars (for full on mechanical ones too, like a Detroit TrueTrac) when ours cost 800+

brainfood
03-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Kaaz doesnt make a 1.5 way anymore I dont think. I have a kaaz 2way and I drift it, and love it. Its pretty loud on the street, but works good on the track. I also road race and I love it when I road race too soooo much rear grip, and no understeer problems with it.