PDA

View Full Version : Headlights and idle problems.

JaeTea
03-07-2007, 07:03 AM
I've been having this problem lately of my idle dropping ~200rpms everytime I turn my headlights on. The car will start to shake and rattle like crazy.

I thought it was my foglights drawing too much power so I removed them and it still does it.

Also every time I lightly blip the throttle (not revving) while idling the rpms will drop. The rpms will also drop considerably if I turn the wheels to full lock and the PS pump kicks in, same thing with turning the AC on.

Not sure if its the alternator or battery or what. :confused:

projectRDM
03-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Alternator. Pull the charging lead off and check voltage directly on the post with the engine running, if it's below 13V it's got a bad regulator.

cdlong
03-07-2007, 02:09 PM
if the same thing happens when you add other load to the engine (PS pump, AC) then you might just have a bad or dirty idle control valve. it's supposed to keep the idle at 750 no matter what the load. if you add load and the idle control valve doesn't add more air, it will bog. check the FSM for adjusting procedures, cleaning just requires removal and some time with a toothbrush and carb cleaner.

JaeTea
03-08-2007, 04:12 PM
OK so after spending an hour messing around inside the car, turning various things on and off it seems like its definetly something connected with the headlights. Turning the AC on or heater or rear defroster doesn't do anything to lower the idle (maybe 50rpms) and when the compressor kicks in the idle goes up like it should. Turning the wheel lock to lock doesn't do much either, neither does pressing the brakes (the idle will drop maybe 50rpms).

But..........when I turn my headlights on all the interior lights dim significantly, including my radio face. Same thing when I turn the rear defroster on. With the lights on the idle doesn't drop so much as it kinda stumbles and fluctuates like (100-150rpms).

los_inc
03-08-2007, 04:26 PM
check your grounds on the harness going to the lights
also check for bare/exposed with out insulation.

does it happen when you pop teh lights out
or when you turn the bulbs on?