PDA

View Full Version : 92 KA Driveshaft too short for SR?!?!

Sil80girlie
07-28-2002, 11:36 PM
Hello everyone,
We just bolted the engine and transmission down and began working on inserting the driveshaft into the transmission. The front half of the KA driveshaft slid smoothly all the way into the transmission BUT.....when we went to bolt the rear half of the driveshaft back up, we found that we had to pull the front portion out of the transmission about an inch.

Is there a way to lengthen either half by loosening a few bolts? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Are we missing something here?

In the picture below, you'll see the tranny on the left and the drive shaft on the right....

Thanks!

http://www.members.aol.com/novakiller/images/driveshaft.jpg

xhdriver
07-29-2002, 05:05 AM
mine looks exactly like that, ive had no problems, i think it just looks wierd because there is no dust shield.

your gonna love the boost!

sykikchimp
07-29-2002, 09:17 AM
Since it is a 2-piece drive shaft you may be able to work some play out of it by moving it around a little.  Our driveshafts tend to have a little play in them anyway..  As long as it's connected up good, then you should be ok.

turbobunny
07-30-2002, 11:46 AM
*UPDATE*
Pulled off the drive shaft and made a note of the point at which it was exposed.  You can see it in the picture below where the little red arrow points.  I also saw the copper dust shield that some people were talking about on the old KA tranny. It does look like if we put that on there the gap will also be eliminated.  Well I'm going to go over to Project Silvia to compare our drive shaft to one of their spare ones.  Wish us luck!

http://members.aol.com/novakiller/images/dsclose.jpg

Starlin
07-30-2002, 12:42 PM
This gap is NORMAL!

All rear wheel drive cars have to have it. The gap is so that when the rear end twists/flexes under braking/throttle/cornering/relaxing of suspension ect the driveshaft isn't rammed against the end of the transmission. If it did hit the tranny it could snap the end of tranny off and you would have a really serious problem.

Starlin