PDA

View Full Version : everyday driving welded diff?

MtxWrl
03-01-2007, 02:58 AM
i have been reading ups and downs about this and also been getting alot of negative feedback from friends saying "your going to break your axles" but i want feedback from someone who has a welded diff.

gotta240
03-01-2007, 03:02 AM
DO A FUCKING SEARCH.. DO A FUCKING SEARCH. DO A FUCKING SEARCH.

this has been covered WAAAAAAYYYYY too many times.

I daily drive mine. Works fine, rain driving gets hairy if not careful, and i already went through one axle.....(but i'm on 275 tires which adds more wear/tear with a solid diff)

MtxWrl
03-01-2007, 03:06 AM
im extremely lazy at the moment and search didnt help on first attempt so i decided to take the flaming since it wont bother me at all. BUT Thank You for answering my question :) .. also may i ask where or how you got urs ?

SochBAT
03-01-2007, 04:25 AM
I used to DD the welded, you get used to it. Stop caring what others think.

It chirps alot at low speed, but that just means you've still got lots of meat left. Depending on your driving style, you might get that slight understeer, but your car will be prone to mass oversteering at random times. If you've got shithole bald front tires, and are driving it while raining, hope you've got your obituaries handled.

For the most part, its nice and firm, you'll be more confident on your drive, but the noise is more of a big factor for most. Tire wear is slightly increased, but they'll be more even. Have fun. Next time, search.

PS. Your friends are idiot assholes. Your stock axles can take a retarded beating, and still hold up.

qwikspool
03-01-2007, 04:38 AM
your axles will only break if you are pushing alot of torque or hp(someone correct if im wrong) i second sochbat's reply. i daily drive my 240 with welded diff. the only thing i dont like about it that it makes a lot of cherp when im parking my car in a slow speed and making turns. since i bought new tires, i havent seen any tire wear. you have to get used to it. on rainy days, just be carefull.

my suggestion, search my friend and you will find the answer.........

MrChow
03-01-2007, 04:53 AM
Here's a good one.. my friend has his S13 for 3 year with a WD. AND he's blown 3 engines. 1 SR and 2 KA's.
He's never fixed his axles yet.

dct223
03-01-2007, 05:10 AM
wow... i see zilvia hasnt changed since 05....

i sound like a broken record but this damn topic has been covered so many times and has been beat to shit....

ive had it for almost 2 years, havent broken an axel yet....

here is an old thread for ya

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=79318

TheSquidd
03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Yay I turned his green square into a red one!

:keke:

Search. Fuck.

A Spec Products
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
When I used to daily on my welded, I had no issues.

It was probably due to the quality welds of the FLYBERT SPL diff.

My cat did die when I had a welded diff though.

And I didn't get laid when I dailied the welded.

keioffice
03-01-2007, 12:28 PM
edited edit

Irukandji
03-01-2007, 12:44 PM
And I didn't get laid when I dailied the welded.

So you still have a welded diff right?

i kid i kid.

FaLKoN240
03-01-2007, 12:49 PM
ROFL at Ben.

I daily welded, it's not that big of a deal. You only get looks from people that don't know shit about cars.

I had a dude at a shop ask me if I had a spools or 2-way diff.

Tire wear is not that bad, get an alignment. Driving in rain isn't bad if you have good tires. I have no complaints. I would only upgrade if I could find a 2-way for $400.

Matej
03-01-2007, 12:50 PM
The negative feedback usually only comes from people who have never had a welded diff. I love mine.

WTFaNG
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
The negative feedback usually only comes from people who have never had a welded diff. I love mine.

this is so true, and most of those people never even drivin in a car with LSD either

A Spec Products
03-01-2007, 01:04 PM
So you still have a welded diff right?

i kid i kid.

:bite:

Yeah.

Your blow up doll wouldn't give me the time of day, that bitch.

94cc0rd
03-01-2007, 01:17 PM
has anyone driven on a 2way and actually preferred the welded?

I've also had mixed reviews on the welded and i've heard my fair share of "you're gonna break your axles" (coming from guys with experience)... but one thing they all agree on is that once you go 2way, you can't go back...

so i plan on either keeping my vlsd, or going welded, and then upgrade to a 2way whenever i save up for it.. or after a few other mods..

dct223
03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
has anyone driven on a 2way and actually preferred the welded?

I've also had mixed reviews on the welded and i've heard my fair share of "you're gonna break your axles" (coming from guys with experience)... but one thing they all agree on is that once you go 2way, you can't go back...

so i plan on either keeping my vlsd, or going welded, and then upgrade to a 2way whenever i save up for it.. or after a few other mods..

n1smor went from welded to 2way back to welded... i think he switched back cus welded saves so much money and is pretty much the same thing...

my experience with the two... welded you just clutch kick and you can break loose at the track... 2way a small lag before it locks, so you can turn in faster... a bit more understeer with welded but nothing crazy, unless you run some wide ass rubber in the rear.

i dunno its hard to explain until you've driven both.... not sure what i prefer cus ive only had a vlsd and a welded on my car, never a 2way

if i had money id proll get a 2way, but yeapp.. still in college..

A Spec Products
03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
I still want to meet someone personally who broke their axles from using a welded diff.

MtxWrl
03-01-2007, 02:15 PM
thanks for the information greatly appreciated! also i usually do searches but because it was 4am and i was lazy i thought the flaming would be inevitble. also the red square looks cooler than the green one!

Irukandji
03-01-2007, 02:34 PM
n1smor went from welded to 2way back to welded... i think he switched back cus welded saves so much money and is pretty much the same thing...

Yeah I chose my welded over my tomei. One reason was the extra cash, and the welded was really easy to predict compared to the tomei. Not to mention the extra noise, fluid changes, $ for the 2way.
Whatever, this doesn't need to become a lsd vs welded thread again..
zilvia already has 4 pages worth of that.

arkive43
03-01-2007, 03:52 PM
only real hardcore drifters run the WLSD........lol no trouble with mine been about a year n a half 2nd motor(kade) axels still good. just make sure u can afford tires they do go fast.

SochBAT
03-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, welded = never unlocks, no fear of having it unlock while exiting.

Cheap, but consistency is there.

I ran Flybert SPL too! Mine was the prototype, and reacted just like i had dropped it in that same day a year later. I then had Chris weld up 3 more for my buddies. He's a great guy, look into him.

leonb2004
03-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I really enjoy the predictability of a welded differential. The key is having it done RIGHT. Also, I advise in flushing your diff after a couple of weeks of hard driving/drifting. Some flux will find its way into the bottom of your diff, and personally, make me weary. On mine it wasnt enough to matter, however, there was definetily a good bit.

The only way youre going to worry about breaking axle is launching 400+hp on humungous slicks.

Irukandji
03-01-2007, 05:27 PM
okay we all know the stories.. this thread needs to slowly fade away before it becomes another welded diff thread.

gotta240
03-01-2007, 06:05 PM
i posted this before and i'll post again,

i believe the welded caused my axle to go bad. However, i run 275 tires and still enjoy the diff. It does cause more wear and tear on axles....many get by fine though.

McRussellPants
03-01-2007, 06:09 PM
I still want to meet someone personally who broke their axles from using a welded diff.

I broke my Axle's CVs with a welded diff.

coincindentally, most of the grease from the bad CV is all over my spindle and sus links.

It was totally the weldeds fault though.

also probably I was too low, damn axle angle.

Akiros
03-02-2007, 08:45 AM
also i usually do searches but because it was 4am and i was lazy i thought the flaming would be inevitble. also the red square looks cooler than the green one!
you just made my sig! haha.

FaLKoN240
03-02-2007, 10:29 AM

I broke my Axle's CVs with a welded diff.

coincindentally, most of the grease from the bad CV is all over my spindle and sus links.

It was totally the weldeds fault though.

also probably I was too low, damn axle angle.

Same here. I broke a CV boot. I think it's because I was running an S-03 on one side and a JDM Dunlop Le Mans on the other.

Don't mismatch tires yo.

gotta240
03-02-2007, 07:19 PM
lol...different sized tires on welded diff=driving in circles

FaLKoN240
03-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Ummm, no. Try again.

gotta240
03-02-2007, 08:47 PM
um...yes. I've done it when on a spare. not fun to drive

dct223
03-03-2007, 01:04 AM
word ive done it too but with SE alloys and differnet sized tires..

bigger tire travels more distance than the smaller one..

downshift_sideways
03-03-2007, 01:11 AM
This thread is making miss my weld loc :(

brainfood
03-03-2007, 01:13 AM
its not bad..

breakindrifts
03-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Daily driven welded diff for about a year. Tracked 4 times now no problem.

5 of my friends daily drive welded diff, if you don't feel like spending 900 bucks on a diff then do it as long as you're not a pussy about comfortability issues for daily.