PDA

View Full Version : What does the Clutch/ASCD relay do?

HellonFire
02-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I've pulled the Engine Room harness and am trying to get rid of all the useless wiring.

WTF does that do? I know it goes down to the tranny, and turns cruise off as well once you push in the pedal. I don't car about either one of those, do I need it?

Thanks!
Tyler

drftwerks
02-27-2007, 10:05 PM
check out a wiring diagram

HellonFire
02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Are you serious? *Sigh*.. I have 95 and 97 FSM's sitting here. But they really don't describe what the relay does per say. Just where the wiring is coming from and where it goes.

I guess I need someone who has done this before to chime in.

I could just pull the whole relay out, and scrap the wires. But I'm not sure if I would still be able to start my car then, becuase of the clutch sensor.

Tyler

drftwerks
02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
pull it out jump it, see what happens.

if you give me the diag i can look at it for you

HellonFire
02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
The harness is already out, on my floor, and all the way taken apart.. Besides this Relay, becuase I'm not sure if I can pull it out or not.

Tyler

g6civcx
02-28-2007, 02:15 AM
There are two switches on the clutch pedal. The switch at the bottom is the clutch interlock switch. You have to push the clutch pedal all the way down before the starter will turn.

The switch at the top is your cruise control cancel switch. When you tap the brake or clutch pedal, cruise is cancelled.

I would recommend removing the interlock switch but keep the cruise cancel switch. I've driven cars without the cruise cancel switch and when you hit the clutch under cruise, the engine revs to the fuel cut.

HellonFire
02-28-2007, 02:19 AM
I've removed the cruise control completely. Everything on this car is removed. Maybe I should have better clarified at the beggining.

This is a stripped track car. Built SR inside.

No AC, ABS, CC, etc.

I've gone through and pulled out the wiring to the engine bay and under the dash. Its now on my living room floor, all taken apart. I am putting the fuse box under the dash. I obviously want to get rid of all those wires I don't need, and also make my fuse box as small as possible to easily fit it under the dash while I'm at it.

What I need to know is.. Can I removed the relay that says.. Clutch/ ASCD and all associated wires.

My main question is.. If I removed the interlock switch completely, will the car still turn over? It won't be there period, so what will this effect.

Thanks!
Tyler

g6civcx
02-28-2007, 07:25 AM
I've removed the cruise control completely. Everything on this car is removed. Maybe I should have better clarified at the beggining.

This is a stripped track car. Built SR inside.

No AC, ABS, CC, etc.

I've gone through and pulled out the wiring to the engine bay and under the dash. Its now on my living room floor, all taken apart. I am putting the fuse box under the dash. I obviously want to get rid of all those wires I don't need, and also make my fuse box as small as possible to easily fit it under the dash while I'm at it.

What I need to know is.. Can I removed the relay that says.. Clutch/ ASCD and all associated wires.

My main question is.. If I removed the interlock switch completely, will the car still turn over? It won't be there period, so what will this effect.

Thanks!
Tyler

Tyler, here's what you do.

First, download a copy of the FSM and look in the EL section under the starter wiring.

Then, search the Tech Talk forum for the phrase "clutch interlock". You will see one thread started by me that shows you how to bypass the interlock switch. It's for S13 but the concept is pretty much the same.

The purpose of the interlock switch is so idiots don't start the car in gear and hit stuff, then sue other people. If you don't hit the clutch, the relay grounds out the starter signal and it won't crank.

All you need to do is pull the switch and relay off of the circuit, and connect the wires coming in and coming out of the relay together.

Do that by first pulling the switch off the car. Then follow the wires from the switch to the relay. Remove the relay from the relay box and clip the two thick wires coming of the relay. Solder the two thick wires together. Throw the clutch switch, wires, and relay away.

Now it should crank regardless of clutch position. Just remember to start it in neutral.

As for the ASCD wiring, you can pull the ASCD ECU and any wires coming out of that, provided it's not branching off into the engine's ECU. Anything that's tapped you can clip the dangling branch off of the T and tape the rest of the connection, leaving it intact.

I don't know which version of the SR you're using, but on the S13 the ECU doesn't need to see the clutch ASCD cancel switch. The relay can definitely go if there's no more cruise. The only reason you would keep just the switch itself is for use as a cancel switch for nitrous, or fuel cut, or something like that.

Hope that helps.

HellonFire
02-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Awesome, thanks! Exactly what I needed. I've had that switch jumped forever, I just needed to know to connect the two larger lines.

So.. Now the only relay I have left is the Fog one, which I guess I have to keep if I want to maintain function of my lights. The A/C, Hi and Lo Radiator, Clutch, etc are all gone.

Now to shorten everything. :(

Tyler