PDA

View Full Version : SR wont start.....idea's?

s14unimog
02-26-2007, 08:12 AM
same thing as usual.

purchased a motor set, added a few things, 3" exhaust, FMIC, and intake. harness is fairly simply to do and I have done many of them before with no problems, so I built my own. I checked the fuel rail and there is fuel coming in, even the spark plugs are wet. the car has plenty of spark but it still wont crank.

if anyone can think of something I might be missing, let me know, anything will help at this point.

koukimonster139
02-26-2007, 08:27 AM
yea.

you could be forgetting timing, mafs, various sensors and such

also did you do a compression test?

might wanna check these things

s14unimog
02-26-2007, 08:31 AM
do you have an idea of what compression should be on a cold SR?

mjjstang
02-26-2007, 12:34 PM
flooding?
I had spark and fuel, then i was able to get it startedd by holding down the gas pedal, weird.

drftwerks
02-26-2007, 01:42 PM
does it start with carb cleaner?

s14unimog
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
does it start with carb cleaner?

huh...... no it has not started at all, yet.

drftwerks
02-27-2007, 02:20 AM
wont crank or start??

2 totally dif things

what is your timing at?? did you fuck with it??

take the plugs out,and crank, get that fuel out the cyls

johngriff
02-27-2007, 02:33 AM
If you seriously flooded the engine, pull the plugs and let it sit a couple hours so it can dry out, dont repeatedly crank it to get the excess fuel out.

FUEL+IGN+COMPRESSION.

If those three are there, then you put the CAS in wrong. Check out my myspace for a quick link. http://www.myspace.com/rpsport , its in the pics.

Have someone crank the car, and move the cas full lock to full lock slowly while they are cranking, if it gets better/worse anything at all, your cas to cam timing is probably off.

drftwerks
02-27-2007, 02:40 AM
^^^

exactly

s14unimog
02-27-2007, 08:42 AM
The exhaust reaks of fuel and the plugs are wet when I pull them out. I pulled two, to check spark, and they both had healthy spark. One thing I have noticed is that my fuel pump is priming a lot longer than it did when the KA was in there, could have something to do with flooding?

as far as the CAS is concerned, I have not removed it and the company I got the motor from ensures me that they would not have removed it as well. Its almost worth just pulling it and reinstalling it to rule that out though, since everyone seems to think that might be the culpret. I'll try and remove all the plugs to dry out the cylinders and see if that does anything

drftwerks
02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
is the pump hardwired??

what is the condition of the injectors?

and what is fuel psi at?

s14unimog
02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
the pump worked great on my KA-T for two years, but ever since the SR was put in every time the key is turned to "on" the fuel pump prime's for longer than it did when the KA was in there.

The injectors are out of my KA, they are factory SR20 370's that I had flow tested and cleaned when I turbo'd the KA over a year ago. I figured i would use those b/c I know they are in great shape.

I have not tested the fuel pressure

drftwerks
02-27-2007, 01:57 PM
well clear the cyl of fuel then put a little gas in each put plugs back it, see what happens, if they are siaked with fuel, then it wont start.

so do you hear the fuel pump relay turn off after a second or two after it builds fuel psi??

s14unimog
02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
I here the relay kick and the fuel pump stops but its definitely a longer "prime time" than when the KA was in there

drftwerks
02-27-2007, 02:39 PM
im thinking timing then

s14unimog
02-27-2007, 02:45 PM
if that is the case I wonder why the fuel pump is running longer....

I'm going to try and clean out the cylinders and throw some new plugs in it, at least I can rule that out then.

grnappletree14
02-27-2007, 11:53 PM
im having the same prroblem, my fuel pump runs long too. everytime i turn the cas and the key is in on iginiton, i can hear go on. im not sure mine engine is flooded

drftwerks
02-28-2007, 12:08 AM
its supposed to turn on, the cas is the signal to ecu to run the pump its the trigger for it, if your injectors are good then they shouldnt be letting fuel into cyls, it might also be the sig to start grounding the injectors, i really have to get a wiring diag.

johngriff
02-28-2007, 01:46 AM
So, i vote to just reset the cas to be retentive.

drftwerks
02-28-2007, 12:34 PM
also check for pluged exhaust, as that can cause a no start, with everything else normal.

s14unimog
02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Well after working on the car today I noticed something. I put the new plugs in it, like I said i would, and the car "popped" right as I turned the key and then after that preceeded not to turn on. the plugs I pulled out of there reaked of gas and were still wet from the previous attempts to start. The assumption now is exactly what everyone is saying, flooding out. The question still remains.....what's causing it????

initial_drifter
02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Did you reset the CAS when you worked on your car?

s14unimog
02-28-2007, 07:17 PM
don't think so. If I did, how did I?

drftwerks
02-28-2007, 11:28 PM
poping is TIMING

grnappletree14
03-01-2007, 12:25 AM
i figured out my prob. i had the fuel line switched up, so i switch them around. i then started it , but my fuelk pump sounded different it soounds wat louder now and different. when i went to turn it on, it ran but it was spottering. and i had to give gas to keep it alive. i fix that problem by pluging all my hoses in, intercooler, bov, vacumn, tb. ect. i made sure that there was no are coming out. then it ran perfect without me giveing it gas, i still need to mess with the timing and tunning. but my car idles kinda of hard still like at 1.5- 2 rpm. is that right.

johngriff
03-01-2007, 03:28 AM
....... um.

?

Take it to a shop/hire someone.

s14unimog
03-01-2007, 08:35 AM
yeah I called the company that I got the motor from and told them the CAS was either shoot or installed improperly and they told me to just remove it and ship it to them and they will send me another one.

Is there anyway to tell if its malfunctioning?

Z U L8R
03-01-2007, 09:09 AM
the cas gives the ecu the references of the cam's positions to know when to deliver fuel and spark. the ecu also takes into account other signals from other sensors such as the maf, coolant temp, and front o2 sensor to decide the duration of the pulse (noid signal) to the injectors. if you're getting fuel and getting spark why condemn the cas, why not just make sure it's in correctly. set #1 at tdc, pull out the cas, there's a notch in the housing that does not move and there's 2 notches in the gear. one's on the right and the one on the left is yellow. line the notch thats on the right hand side of the gear with the notch on the cas and the other notch ,yellow, will be slightly to the left of the two notches you just lined up, insert it so that the two bolts that hold it in place will be centered in the slits. congratulations your cas is installed properly =] . you should be using ngk #3330 bcpr7es, they come pre-gapped at .30 if you plan on running 14psi set them to .28. if still no start, check the efi fuse, still no start then double check your dash plug and make sure you wired in the "start signal" wire. gl =]

s14unimog
03-01-2007, 09:51 AM
wow, thanks for the response. I plan on pulling and reinstalling it this evening to check, before I ship it out. What part of GA are you in? I'm in Athens, maybe you could give me a hand or I could give you a shout if I run into problems?

Z U L8R
03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
i work in marietta and live in roswell. gimme a call if prefer
David 678-913-7436

longdy
03-01-2007, 04:48 PM
hey dude sorry to hear that you sr isnt running.

this was the same problem i had and it took me forever to find the problem.
well your saying the motor cranks but it doesnt start right???

well it "seems" you checked all the obvious reason why your motor isnt running like

1.fuel
2.fuel pressure
3.spark
4.spark plugs
5.MAF sensor
6. fuel filter

if theses were not it then

1.check your grounds
2. check to see if all your sensors are plugged in.
3. ckeck to see if your starter is plugged in correctly (this was one of the reason why my motor wouldnt start either, one of the plugs that went to it fell off)
4. and check to see if your ignitor chip is working properly with another ignitor chip. this was my reason why my motor was acting up.

hope this helps:)

s14unimog
03-02-2007, 08:50 AM
well I pulled and reinstalled the CAS properly, checked the injector o-rings, and did a compresson check. Everyhting seems fine but still wont catch and turn on. I pulled the harness back out of it and plan to go thru that, so we'll see

s14unimog
03-03-2007, 02:07 PM
ITS ALIVE! the Ecu plug had some pin problems after closer inspection. thanks for all the help

Future installer's: check your wiring!!!!!

drftwerks
03-03-2007, 02:53 PM
which pins??

so we know what sig the ecu was not getting

projectRDM
03-03-2007, 04:07 PM
The ones I told him last weekend when he called me in the middle of one of my drunken episodes.

Bryants95240sx
03-03-2007, 06:06 PM
solving problems while your drunk sweet. lol

s14unimog
04-06-2007, 08:25 AM
yeah, thanks for the help Russ. You do a good job covering up drunkinness, lol