PDA

View Full Version : DD seam welding

timtiminy
02-22-2007, 10:33 PM
i know most people on here do seam welding on their track cars and do the entire chassis. I am more interested in doing a few areas that will make a noticeable difference in stiffening the chassis but not have to strip the entire car to do. basically i want to accomplish what auto manufactures do when they release a special edition car that has strategic places seam welded to stiffen things up a bit. I will be doing this on my daily driven street car (full interior), so i just want to stiffen up the key strategic areas. any suggestions on the areas that will make a good improvement for a dd street car? i figure i would start with the strut towers...dont know where i should go from there. I havent found any information on where the factory does this on those cars (i.e. nismo ztune gtr) any suggestions and ideas will be much appreciated.

SC_S13
02-22-2007, 11:00 PM
ive heard of people welding their door frames and engine bays. if you wanna take it a step further, weld across the chassis where the trans hump is

SC_S13
02-22-2007, 11:00 PM
edit: doh, posted twice, page reloaded

rubberbiscuitt
02-22-2007, 11:02 PM
if your just looking for rigidity, is your car caged yet? personally i think its a waste to just weld part of it. and i hate the smell of all that burning sealant crud they glue the body pieces together with.

GSXRJJordan
02-22-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm curious about this too, but not that curious. If you can weld it yourself, take the time and do the big one over the trans hump. If not, hit the strut towers and anything else you can get to. Get all the bolt on bracing you feel like, and you'll be pretty much there.

!Zar!
02-23-2007, 02:35 AM
If you want to stiffen up your frame grab Strut bars, c pillar bar, subframe bars, subframe collars and, most importantly, fender braces. That will help out a lot without needing to seam weld.

timtiminy
02-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I planned on getting as much of the chassis bracing as i can, but i figure i'm pulling the motor anyhow so I may as well weld up the engine bay...door frames? i guess you just would just stitch weld along those seams? I guess the only downside to putting on chassis bracing instead of seam welding is the added weight otherwise it has similar effectiveness in stiffening things up. I hear the 2 most noticeable braces are the fenderbraces and the nismo powerbrace. I'm for sure doing those either way.

pr240sx
02-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Structural foam is your other alternative.
But reinforcing without adding weight is almost imposible

lazierhobo
02-23-2007, 08:27 PM
the major advantage to seem welding over braces, is cost, but that is only effective if you can do your own welding.

but then again this is from the view of a broke kid with a full shop, tons of time, and very little money

KA-T_240
02-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I plan on doing some stich welding on the interior of my car. I painted my engine bay and made it all pretty before I even knew what it was. I will get bored one day and pull the interior and go at it.

infinitexsound
02-24-2007, 04:53 AM
big ass sway bar ..........bad ass roll cage......... ive heard ppl seam weld their hoods to their fenders for added rigidity, but that must be a JDM thing

yokotas13
02-24-2007, 05:50 AM
not a jdm thing

a dumbass thing

ive never seen it in japan

infinitexsound
02-25-2007, 03:21 AM
i was being sarcastic about it... since ppl love to copy all the drifters.. in japan....