PDA

View Full Version : good seats for drifting

nismo04
02-22-2007, 01:00 AM
what r some good seats for drifting I'm
thinking sparco fighter or signal auto seats.

motoman6968
02-22-2007, 01:03 AM
I like sparco, whatever you do dont consider bride, too expensive and too small, made more for very small frame. Just lettin you know cause I bought Bride Brix 2 and they are way too damn small.

s13gold
how big are you...
nice padding on the sides with a deep place for your butt and a harness and ur all strapped in.

Dousan_PG
a good bucket seat is the best
brand..thats preference
but get a bucket seat

all seats are usually ok
but avoid sparco sprint

personally, i use this:

Bride Maxis
http://www.nipponracing.com/media/bride_maxis.jpg

S14Josh
02-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Lots of people have the Recaro SPG. Good low priced seat.

ASpec sells them with the seat rails, ask logan!

nismo04
02-22-2007, 01:27 AM
what a bout the satus hockenheim

S14Josh
02-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Its basically the same thing as the SPG. just different name. Theres a million different ones, all same design.

I have the NRG version. I like it. Got it at sema, carbon, weighs like 5 pounds. Does the job untill i can get the Bride low max's. Being 6'1" sucks, but the seat helps me fit in better. with the stock s14 seat i couldnt get my hand between my head and the roof, with the bucket i have like 4-5 inches.

The seat aaron has is rad, i saw it at the last JD event. Looks like an infant carseat haha, looks coooooomfy.

GSXRJJordan
02-22-2007, 02:19 AM
If you're strapped for cash, wait until someone puts a used one up on the forums... that's what I did, got a great Momo seat for cheeeaappp. Like everyone says, bucket is the way to go, and remember you'll need rails too.

TravisSW
02-22-2007, 02:32 AM
S14 seats work pretty damn well for me and are great for the budgeted driver. :)

MrMigs
02-22-2007, 04:21 AM
You might also think about looking into some used R32 seats. Hold pretty well and you don't have to worry about buying extra hardware to mount them - just a fat washer for one of the bolts but that's about it.

If you're on a super tight budget, try asking around for a torn seat, cus it'll be uber cheapers. I think there's a few left at RB Motoring still btw, although I'm not sure if there are any more cheapo torn ones.

g6civcx
02-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Look into Kirkey. People don't like them based on looks, but try for yourself.

nismo04
02-22-2007, 10:09 AM
how big are you...
nice padding on the sides with a deep place for your butt and a harness and ur all strapped in.
I'm 5'8 140lb

BBSilvia
02-22-2007, 10:16 AM
yea i would go sparco fighter, thats what im getting

TheSquidd
02-22-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm 5'8 140lb

You could probably fit in a Bride, personally I would only get the Bride Zeta III, as it's the only FIA cert'd Bride seat I've heard of. I don't see paying the exorbiant prices for a Bride and not getting FIA cert.

I run a Sparco Pro 2000, fantastic, fantastic seat. Holds great, FIA cert, material isnt too shabby (I hear Bride material is super plush but whateva), removable, washable cushions. I think the Pro 2000 might be a bit big for you though, I am 5'11 200lbs and it's nice and tight.

Best advice, sit in the seat before you buy it. It's a big investment and you want to make sure it fits you right. Buy what you need for your purposes. You wanna be JDM tight, sittin plush, but don't care about FIA cert (crash tests to make sure it doesnt break in half) then rock a Bride. Want racing heritage and FIA cert from a brand you can trust (you can trust Bride too, I'm sure they're FINE in crashes, they just don't have that little paper on them that lets you into certain racing), Sparco/Recaro.

I'm unfamiliar with Status, Corbeau, or others, so I can only speak on Sparco / Bride.

McRussellPants
02-22-2007, 10:38 AM

lol.

Yeah, they're pretty fucking gay.

ls180sx
02-22-2007, 10:43 AM
status has some good fia rated seats, and available in carbon and kevlar

wootwoot
02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
I would recommend one of Tillett's auto racing seats.

www.tillett.co.uk

R33GTS-T
02-22-2007, 11:50 AM
status racing is impossible to get a hold of though.....

ALMOSTJDM
02-22-2007, 11:54 AM
skyline r33's are good griping monsters

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9873/49261876kc4.th.jpg (http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=49261876kc4.jpg)

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8468/26599679ww6.th.jpg (http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26599679ww6.jpg)
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9458/81266372fl7.th.jpg (http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=81266372fl7.jpg)

TheSquidd
02-22-2007, 12:04 PM
skyline r33's are good griping monsters

For street applications maybe. For a full out drift car, that's going to see a lot of track time and really high speed, high momentum drifts, you want a bucket seat and nothing less. Also you can't really run a harness through an R33.

Unfortunately the OP didn't give us much information to work with.

redsuns3838
02-22-2007, 12:10 PM
the only sucky thing with the Zeta III FIA thing is that it expires..like every 2 yrs. although its true you can just sell an expired one for like 500-600 and get a new one at little cost, but I was just never aware that it expired until I bought mine

With my Zeta III I really dont move AT ALL no matter how hard I corner. . its amazing, i Dont know why I didnt buy one sooner. And its comfortable as hell.

ALMOSTJDM
02-22-2007, 12:15 PM
For street applications maybe. For a full out drift car, that's going to see a lot of track time and really high speed, high momentum drifts, you want a bucket seat and nothing less. Also you can't really run a harness through an R33.

Unfortunately the OP didn't give us much information to work with.

true but you have to admit they do a good job!

TheSquidd
02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
the only sucky thing with the Zeta III FIA thing is that it expires..like every 2 yrs. although its true you can just sell an expired one for like 500-600 and get a new one at little cost, but I was just never aware that it expired until I bought mine

With my Zeta III I really dont move AT ALL no matter how hard I corner. . its amazing, i Dont know why I didnt buy one sooner. And its comfortable as hell.

They may expire, but you at least have the piece of mind knowing that that seat has met the standards of FIA cert, wether its certification expires or not, it's still a certified seat.

redsuns3838
02-22-2007, 01:24 PM
oh, definately definately. Just wanted to throw that out there so people knew. I had no idea it had an expiry date till I bought mine hehe. but like you said atleast I can have the piece of mind knowing it past rigorous crash tests.

kensreliableb18b
02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
like my zeta 3. does the job

if i were you i'd only go bride, recaro. sparco if you're on a budget. nothing else.

Duzzes_Wild
02-22-2007, 01:42 PM
i like my chargespeed seat

redsuns3838
02-22-2007, 03:00 PM
note: sit in the seats before you buy them. I know its been said before but there really is a big difference depending on your waist, height, etc. If you cant sit in any seats before u buy them, then search what ppls waist and heigh is before you buy the seat. Ill start out to give you a ref:

I have a 31 inch waist and a Zeta III seat, FG rails, and im 5'8. 142 lbs. Holds me great. from what I gathered from friends who have them and previous owners, you can fit snug with up to a 34 inch waist. The FG rails dont provide much clearance for a helmet though if youve got a sunroof. (and im only 5'8!) I need low max rails =/ but personally Id go with Zeta III if you got the dough, sounds like we are about the same size.

s13gold
02-22-2007, 03:16 PM
if ur strapped for cash check out my ad for sale on a bride replica...it holds u in...and im only asking 150 plush shipping...

wootwoot
02-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Even though everyone is talking about weight/waist size with the Brides there is something else to worry about that has so far been neglected, your dang shoulders. With a Bride it felt absolutely spectacular in the waist/ribs. I dont know which kind it was but it was fixed back. Yes I know, you have to have your arms up in the steering wheel position to be able to fall back into the seat. Problem is, I did not feel that coming back into it all the way. I could feel my upper back not making complete contact.

Is this going to be daily driven at all? If not I've read of some badass tricks to make a seat fit you amazingly. Shit, you could use this insert for track days and then have the slightly looser fitting seat for all other times if you wanted.

staygold24
02-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Even though everyone is talking about weight/waist size with the Brides there is something else to worry about that has so far been neglected, your dang shoulders. With a Bride it felt absolutely spectacular in the waist/ribs. I dont know which kind it was but it was fixed back. Yes I know, you have to have your arms up in the steering wheel position to be able to fall back into the seat. Problem is, I did not feel that coming back into it all the way. I could feel my upper back not making complete contact.

Is this going to be daily driven at all? If not I've read of some badass tricks to make a seat fit you amazingly. Shit, you could use this insert for track days and then have the slightly looser fitting seat for all other times if you wanted.

Please do tell the tricks..

ronmcdon
02-22-2007, 03:56 PM

yes, i had a similar prob with the Brides. the waist and butt areas were snug and fit comfortable for me, but the upper back portion fit terrible. i don't even work out much at all, so i can imagine it would be worse with someone who does. i could not fit in there very well at all. It was made for ppl with smaller torsos w/ wimpy arms & shoulders.

Sparcos fit me the best. I had the EVO's and the REV's before and loved them. It would make sense, b/c Italian seats are catered to a more european and prob american (with the XL sizes) clinetele.

wootwoot
02-22-2007, 04:10 PM
You use the foam injection with plastic bags....Its ugly but pretty dang ligit! cheap too so you redo it often because your body is constantly changing. It isnt that ugly either. You can even make them look pretty nice. You just Take a plastic bag and fill it with a decent amount of foam at first (by decent very little, and mostly at the top where you wont be able to get it in there). Then you sit down in the seat, the excess comes out the bottom. This makes all the areas were your body was not contacting before, now contact. There is a better and slightly different way to do this in the Carroll Shelby books (drive to win?) and in a bunch of other driving books.

rncs13
02-22-2007, 04:18 PM
dont mean to bust in on this thread or ne thing....

but has anyone used corbeau's? how are they?

wootwoot
02-22-2007, 04:48 PM
They fit decent, not much padding, and seem to wear out rather quickly. Good track seat Iam sure but for a daily driver limited life span. Not much padding which is good for a track seat. I do not think they are FIA approved though.....So not that good for a track seat. I'm sure the more expensive leather versions last much longer and are super slippery!

ms!3
02-22-2007, 05:42 PM
any one used an spl bucket? looks like a pretty good seat and is at an affordable price range.

EJ253
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM
whats a good bucket seat for me? Sparco evo?

5'10" 135lb

chuy
02-22-2007, 06:32 PM
I got EVO Large love it fit and quality is good. The down side was I had to have someone fabracate a seat bracket and I sit a little higher then stock

kuramaya
02-22-2007, 06:39 PM
I just picked up a Recaro after having my ass kicked in my seat at the track the other day. I like it, but I am 5'7" and 150 pounds. I can not see a big guy fitting in this seat and enjoying. I love the seat, I am sure I will be more ballsy now that I do not have to worry about grabbing the door to hold on like before..one handed sliding could get dangerous:2f2f:

brokeAs240sx
02-22-2007, 06:57 PM
the only sucky thing with the Zeta III FIA thing is that it expires..like every 2 yrs.

Please correct me if I am wrong: don't FIA seats expire after 5 years? If your seat lasts that long w/o looking all ratty and torn up and ready for another, you could add a seat brace support, which you'd have to run w/ non FIA seat/rails. That was the general concensus from most racing organizations if I remember correctly (same deal w/ FIA harnesses).

One link (http://www.driftfury.com/tandem_tech.pdf:

"FIA seats over 5 years old must have the seat support installed."

Chez
02-22-2007, 09:22 PM
dont mean to bust in on this thread or ne thing....

but has anyone used corbeau's? how are they?

My friend has them in his RX-7. He has the bottom of the line model and they are such a fantastic hold if you are like me 5'8" 130lbs with a 28" waist. They aren't all that bad for some light around town and on the highway they rock for those long sweeping turns. As for on the track he loves them and I find that they dont have enough padding. The local speed shop where i live sells the cheap ones for around 125 i believe <~~~ Don't quote me and if you want to spend a little more say around 225 you can get the same measurements but with a composite shell rather than steel frame. I personally feel the composite is worth the money because it is more comfortable. Either way getting in and out of the car is a total pain but they hold you NICE and they are cheap. Hope this helps.

Chez

ronmcdon
02-22-2007, 10:15 PM
whats a good bucket seat for me? Sparco evo?

5'10" 135lb

depends on your build as well. I'm 6'00", 165lbs, 30" waist. The EVO's, regular size, fit me good. however, the REVs (out of production iirc) were a teeny bit more snug and fit me perfect. my guess is that unless the EVO's are prob a bit too big for you. you may like Brides as they are made for a leaner figure.

the best thing to do is usually go to car meets, and ask to see if you can fit well into the seats that are avail. since i love good buckets, i always savor the chance to go sit in other ppl's seats whenever possible! :)

initial_drifter
02-22-2007, 10:53 PM
^^
Corbeau's are decent, but I would get them as a last resort because they are only a step higher from the seats you get at Schucks IMO.

IIRC, they were pretty heavy for a seat.

Just get a sparco or Recaro

Ameer
02-22-2007, 11:09 PM
I second that^^^^^^

EJ253
02-22-2007, 11:26 PM
ill try some corbeaus out. im kinda on the cheap. also, im a skinny little kid pretty much lol.
thanks for the info guys :D

/threadjack

Chez
02-23-2007, 06:56 AM
^^
Corbeau's are decent, but I would get them as a last resort because they are only a step higher from the seats you get at Schucks IMO.

IIRC, they were pretty heavy for a seat.

Just get a sparco or Recaro

http://corbeau.com/products/fx1pro/fx1pro.shtml

This is the composite seat I was talking about, and at 16lbs for $279.00 list price, I'd say that is a great seat for your money.

chuy
02-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong: don't FIA seats expire after 5 years? If your seat lasts that long w/o looking all ratty and torn up and ready for another, you could add a seat brace support, which you'd have to run w/ non FIA seat/rails. That was the general concensus from most racing organizations if I remember correctly (same deal w/ FIA harnesses).

One link (http://www.driftfury.com/tandem_tech.pdf:

"FIA seats over 5 years old must have the seat support installed."

Thats all you need, as for harnesses I do beleive it is 5 years also.

Silverbullet
02-23-2007, 09:15 AM
all seats are usually ok
but avoid sparco sprint

is there a reason for ur opinion? I was about to RECOMMEND this seat.

I run one on a street driven 240 and i absolutly love it. It holds you in tight. Prior to that, i was running an S14 seat... After putting in the Sparco, i realized how little my body moves durring hard cornering or drifting. Like any bucket seat, you may have trouble getting in or out your car without moving the steering wheel.

MeSs
02-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I bought 2 frp seats from ebay, f1spec.. Works great!! Also, great deal, 310usd..

EAS13
02-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I bought 2 frp seats from ebay, f1spec.. Works great!! Also, great deal, 310usd..

Hey MeSs, which rails did you use with those F1spec seats?

Dousan_PG
02-23-2007, 11:15 AM
is there a reason for ur opinion? I was about to RECOMMEND this seat.

I run one on a street driven 240 and i absolutly love it. It holds you in tight. Prior to that, i was running an S14 seat... After putting in the Sparco, i realized how little my body moves durring hard cornering or drifting. Like any bucket seat, you may have trouble getting in or out your car without moving the steering wheel.

hells yes i hate it
its the worst
if uve never been in something else you cant compare shit!

ive owned
sparco sprint
s14 zenki/kouki (no difference but just saying)
bride zetaII
bride zetaII Type L
Bride brix (2 generations of older model)
Bride Zeig
Bride Maxis

and the sprint is the WORST

the rail is a pos
bottom mount bucket seats are HANDS DOWN the worst way to go on S-chassis
the seat bolster is a joke, metal frame is noticable
over padded and plush makes it not supportive enough

overall its a shitty bottom end seat

let me put it this way
i had one
and sold it for s14 seats
and was way happier

seat is a pos and for bottom end show cars and junk

and if your wondering i drift so much so a good seat is top of my list. for comfort AND support.

sparco sprint is total shit
my current seat is better, cost about 300 more but worth every penny
and it sits WAY LOWER
sprint sits too high! barf

in my old s14 as it was in the 'rebuild engine state' before i sold it
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/dousan/my%20old%20kouki%20s14/e5d8d2f8.jpg

also sprint is trash
oh did i say that already?
best low end (budget wise) on the market is

Splparts.com
rigid, good support, 2 sizes, side mount

Buddy Club downside is a flimsy back. i hate that shit SO MUCH it twists

Corbeau is nearly all trash, i cant stand those seats and ive sat in a few

Recaro is next to Bride, if not HIGHER imo, overlal the highest quality with FIA ratings if u care for that stuff. make stuff from lower end to big baller 1k+ seats for racing. top shit. great support, materials and overall quality. if i didnt have a bride maxis id have a Recaro seat

Bride Brix (older model) is a great seat. similar to bucket but with the adjustability. win win with this seat. great support. cost around 500 used.

ive drifted lots of pepoles cars w/ stock seats to fancy seats
so im no newb on seats.
im about 510 and 170lbs thin build

my passenger seat is a SPL seat
riders in my car said it was very comfy mid drift and supportive. thats what i love to hear
but want a Brix because the seat is small and wont fit everyone, im an equal opportunity driver, so dont want to discriminate against hefty folks. might save it for my next s13 daily hehehehehehe

Chez
02-23-2007, 11:16 AM

Yea I'm wondering the same thing. I ended up putting s14 silvia seats in my
s13 because the recaro style seats that i bought at the speed shop had such a thick base that even without seat rails my head was almost touching the roof.

initial_drifter
02-23-2007, 11:24 AM
http://corbeau.com/products/fx1pro/fx1pro.shtml

This is the composite seat I was talking about, and at 16lbs for $279.00 list price, I'd say that is a great seat for your money.

Just cuz its 16lbs. and its being sold for $280 doesnt mean it'll be a good seat.

Don't cheap out on something like this cuz you'll end up buying more than needed when you could've just saved up for a couple more months or so.

MeSs
02-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Im gonna use ultra lows..

DP_Michelle G
02-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I run corbeau buckets theres alot of shoulder room and like every one else said the padding sucks but you can deal with it.

Chez
02-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Just cuz its 16lbs. and its being sold for $280 doesnt mean it'll be a good seat.

Don't cheap out on something like this cuz you'll end up buying more than needed when you could've just saved up for a couple more months or so.

I think you missed the point. He was saying he is on a budget and was looking for a seat others have or have used and found to be comfortable at a reasonable price. Coreau is a reputable company and many people use their products with no complaints. I personally haven't used this seat but the specs are the same as my friends seat which i have used the only difference being his has a steel frame. That being said the only down side to his seat was the fact that you could feel the frame of it. So as another option for a little more money he could upgrade to the glass one where you wont feel a steel frame. Any way you look at it this is an opinion based conversation. The corbeau's have good customer feeback if you google for reviews, and are inexpensive. I'm just putting my .02 in there for the kid. I'm not looking for an arguement.

Chez

Chez
02-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Im gonna use ultra lows..

Hey Mess, what brand did you purchase? Have you bolted everything in the car yet? if so what is the measurement from headliner to seat bottom? (to compare to my stock seats) Thanks

Chez

steve shadows
02-23-2007, 03:45 PM
If you're strapped for cash, wait until someone puts a used one up on the forums... that's what I did, got a great Momo seat for cheeeaappp. Like everyone says, bucket is the way to go, and remember you'll need rails too.

yeah i like the feel of the momo, definitly wont fall out of it but you will wear out your ass and hipes trying to get out of it.

and in ref to how big

im like 6 1 and 190 lbs, its abitch fitting in most brides...

how big are the maxis?

i can vouch for the sprint sitting too high as well

nismo04
02-26-2007, 11:25 AM
vivid racing has the status seats but the one i'm interested in is the hockenheim made of frp how is the durability on a frp seat.

danielturbo23
03-20-2007, 01:56 PM
What about the seats rail ? Is there any good seats rails for a 240 ?

Or is there any How-to fit an racing seats in a 240sx ?

TheSquidd
03-20-2007, 01:57 PM
What about the seats rail ? Is there any good seats rails for a 240 ?

Or is there any How-to fit an racing seats in a 240sx ?

Only do bottom mount, 240's have a low roof.

Bride FG rails
www.aspecproducts.com
Do it.

skate07
03-20-2007, 06:14 PM

word up, real racing seats sized to your specifics, A-fucking-MEN

nothing holds you better in place than an aluminum racing seat, fuck a FRP seat, fuck a carbon fiber seat, shit stresses and cracks, Kirkey road race seat is the shit, and it doesnt even look bad once you pput the pads and cover on it, best of all, the seat is like 150 bucks.... for real shit

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/images/Products/Kirkey/rr_intermediate.gif

tastycakeman
03-20-2007, 07:36 PM
where can i get one?

240sx_sr20det
03-20-2007, 07:54 PM
I have corbeau racing seats and they are so comfortable and with the harnesses you dont move

inertiaticism
03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty happy with my NRG FRP bucket.
It was cheap, and isn't name brand, but I like it way better than a corbeau I used to have and Sparco Sprints I've sat in.
The bolsters aren't quite tall enough to keep my fat ass in the seat, so I just pulled the pads and mounted it flat against the floor.
I do wish it had had more layback.

DemonKiwi
03-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Not to change the subject, but I was looking at Bride's Low Max Vios III i believe and just wondering what some people thought. I am a small build so pretty skinny, do they sit almost to low and I need to go with a Zeta III or is the Low Max System nice?

danielturbo23
03-20-2007, 08:24 PM
I have corbeau racing seats and they are so comfortable and with the harnesses you dont move

What is the model ?

ladiesman8527
03-20-2007, 08:52 PM
dont forget buddy club seats. they are pretty good for the price.

Mdl_Pin0y
03-20-2007, 10:21 PM
stock 240 bucket seats are good enough, unless you want to make it look nice or something. I think it would be best to save that money for suspension or performance wise.:D

skate07
03-21-2007, 01:09 AM
where can i get one?

summitracing.com

revd34
03-21-2007, 02:13 AM

my friend had corbeau seat. he rolled his car over and the seat broke. the only thing that held him in place was his harnesses. don't get corbeau

anyway has anyone tried ARC seats? they look like this

http://www.arcinter.co.jp/arc/products/syaraku/kaisetsu/index.html

TheS13kid
03-21-2007, 02:16 AM
HAS ANYONE TRIED the JIC Magic Bucket Seat?
If so how is it?

would i be able to fit snug. im 5'9 have a 36-38 inch waist.

let me know.....THANX!

OptionZero
03-21-2007, 02:40 AM
all the recommendations here are worthless

if ur going to "suggest" a seat, tell us what driving you do, what size you are

for going to your local supermarket, even a wooden bench would hold you enough

danielturbo23
03-21-2007, 08:44 AM
my friend had corbeau seat. he rolled his car over and the seat broke. the only thing that held him in place was his harnesses. don't get corbeau

anyway has anyone tried ARC seats? they look like this

http://www.arcinter.co.jp/arc/products/syaraku/kaisetsu/index.html

Ok, but if you don't have a roll cage, every seat will broke if you rolled over.