PDA

View Full Version : safety question

eastcoastS14
02-20-2007, 11:10 PM
ive been searching before any one gives a response. I just want to make sure i have this right. If I am going to daily drive my 240 with a racing seat i should use the stock seatbelt rather than get harnesses correct? I was originally thinking about getting TAKATA harnesses but after seeing something on the discovery channel and reading previous posts it seems like harnesses should only be used in cars with cages or HANS devices. I have a tomei steering wheel and obv no airbag so what are my options? Get a harness and risk dying in a rollover/killed by breaking my neck from inertia in a crash or keep my seatbelt and eat shit off my steering wheel in a crash. How many ppl here are using harnesses with no cages and how many are using stock seatbelts/been in an accident with either one

Jefferson
02-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Get a harness bar/cage/whatever it is your mounting the harness to and run a harness, its what I do, on the the track.
When driving on the street I use my stock belt and would NEVER drive on the street with my harness on just in case of rollover bla bla blah.
Theres a couple of threads covering this, but they are old, like 4 yrs or something, so I don't know if they are still here

eastcoastS14
02-21-2007, 12:06 AM
^^ yeah well i dont really plan to track my car i was really just worried about takin a header into the dash board in a crash so i figured with a harness id never even make it that far. but like i said seems like harnesses would hold my body back while my neck whipped forward and do a lot more damage.. so i guess stock belts are def better if im not going to put it on the track

s13gold
02-21-2007, 12:12 AM
na...you will be fine as long as you wear the seatbelt...you could always take more safer precaution like a cage and all..but you're only going to be daily driving...

redsuns3838
02-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Get a harness and risk dying in a rollover/killed by breaking my neck from inertia in a crash or keep my seatbelt and eat shit off my steering wheel in a crash.

I think you pretty much answered your question haha

Ill sum it up though:
parapalegic vs missing front teeth.

your taking a risk when you dont use an steering wheel with an airbag. If your really that worried you can get a 4pt cage that stops behind the seats and get a harness bar put on it...but that would seem kinda silly if your not even planning on tracking the car. So I guess if it bothers you that much you can just switch back to stock wheel with airbag. shoot, ill trade you =)

rokmplutonium
02-21-2007, 01:22 AM
If you're gonna use a racing harness for dd. go with Schroth
http://www.schrothracing.com
I believe its the only DOT approved harness