PDA

View Full Version : Lower Degree fan switch

95Blue240sx
07-26-2002, 02:37 AM
i was wondering if you guys knew where i can get a new fan switch.  i plan on doing the fan clutch removal and did not want to add another elect. fan.  my friend with an M3 has done this and just added a lower degree fan switch.  know if the dealer sells them??  thx

Foxcolt
07-26-2002, 09:33 AM
not sure what you mean about a fan switch, however if you want to remove your mech fan and not buy another you can rewire the AC fan to run all the time.

Find the AC fan relay in the engine side fuse box. Remove the relay and cut the yellow wire. Then take the wire and ground it too the car. Voila! You now have a working AC fan!

Starlin
07-26-2002, 09:48 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure exactly what you mean either.
But I don't think that with a stock radiator the AC Fan would cool the coolant enough in daily driving. If you remove the stock fan I would highly reccomend putting in another electric fan to pull more air.
Just my onion
Starlin

Foxcolt
07-26-2002, 10:16 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Starlin @ July 26 2002,10:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm, I'm not sure exactly what you mean either.
But I don't think that with a stock radiator the AC Fan would cool the coolant enough in daily driving. If you remove the stock fan I would highly reccomend putting in another electric fan to pull more air.
Just my onion
Starlin</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
I ran my KA with only the AC fan on all the time for 6 monthes - No problems - ran cooler

Now I run the ac fan on all the time in my SR been 2 monthes - No problems.

Will deffinatly buy an electric fan for the SR soon though. Better safe than sorry.

95Blue240sx
07-26-2002, 11:23 AM
ok, well you know how there are 2 fans on the car. &nbsp;the clutch fan and the low speed fan. &nbsp;the low speed fan turns on when your not moving and the car heats up. &nbsp;its not an ac fan. &nbsp; well the low speed fan has a temp monitor/fan switch. &nbsp;what this does is when the car get a certain temp like 190-200 the sensor/swith with turn the fan on. &nbsp;this is better so the fan isnt always running. &nbsp;and the sensor/switch takes care of all this.

UsedParts
07-26-2002, 02:23 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Foxcolt @ July 26 2002,11:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Find the AC fan relay in the engine side fuse box. Remove the relay and cut the yellow wire. Then take the wire and ground it too the car. Voila! You now have a working AC fan!</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
when you say ground the wire...I am pretty sure you are talking about the yellow one you just cut! &nbsp;But i am just making sure!

FaRTaLOTTT
07-26-2002, 10:55 PM
There are two fans on the car. &nbsp;The Fan Clutch, as you know, &nbsp;is constantly running. &nbsp;It robs the car of free horsepower, just like your Power Steering, A/C, etc...You can remove the Fan clutch, usually connected to the water pump, to free up horsepower. &nbsp;When the car is moving however, it makes the fan clutch almost useless. &nbsp;Your car SHOULD have an electric fan operated by a temperature switch, which when it gets to a certain temperature, should close the circuit and then turn on the electric fan. &nbsp;It's usually located somewhere on the side of the radiator, or maybe it could even be the water temp sensor in one unit. &nbsp;For different models of BMW's, they offered the switches in different temperatures. &nbsp;Lowering the temperature would eliminate the chance of overheating from removing the fan clutch. I am currently using a fan switch from a 318ti. &nbsp;I'm sure the dealer sells the fan switches in different temperatures for different models, maybe even for those in different parts of the country (Texas, Florida, etc...). &nbsp;For more info on removing the fan clutch on my vehicle. &nbsp;Checkout this site...http://www.ohiomotorcycle.com/understeer/fanclutchmod.shtml