PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild help

shayrgob240
02-14-2007, 11:51 PM
So I'm in the final stages of putting my motor back together. I do have some questions though that I would love to have answered.

1) I'm looking in the FSM and I'm seeing Valve spring seats. When I dissasembled the head, I didn't remove any. So I just put the springs in the head w/o the seats. I do have an s13 motor so maybe that design is slightly different (I'm looking at an s14 fsm).

2) One cam is painted orange and the other green. Which is intake and which is exhaust? I forgot to take note of that during dissasembly.

3) What do you guys do about cam to lifter clearance? Those shims are really damn expensive and I don't know if I have the $ to go through that. How bad is it if the clearance isn't up to spec?

4) There is a rather weird procedure for installing the timing chain in the FSM. Do i have to follow this procedure or can I install the head on the block first THEN worry about the lower chain? I really don't see why I can't do it my way.

Basically I just need this stuff cleared up real quick before I continue on w/ the rebuild. I should be finished shortly!!

thanks!

steve shadows
02-15-2007, 02:37 AM
So I'm in the final stages of putting my motor back together. I do have some questions though that I would love to have answered.

1) I'm looking in the FSM and I'm seeing Valve spring seats. When I dissasembled the head, I didn't remove any. So I just put the springs in the head w/o the seats. I do have an s13 motor so maybe that design is slightly different (I'm looking at an s14 fsm).

I would have them installed by a machine shop...

2) One cam is painted orange and the other green. Which is intake and which is exhaust? I forgot to take note of that during dissasembly.

Thats pretty gay man, there should be a designatiuon like r1 or r2 on the cam or someting else like I on one onad a box with dots on it in theother otherwise i do they still have the sprockets attatched

3) What do you guys do about cam to lifter clearance? Those shims are really damn expensive and I don't know if I have the $ to go through that. How bad is it if the clearance isn't up to spec?

Its really bad, re-shimming should be required for any modification to the valve train especially any change in valve hieght as you may experience

4) There is a rather weird procedure for installing the timing chain in the FSM. Do i have to follow this procedure or can I install the head on the block first THEN worry about the lower chain? I really don't see why I can't do it my way.

What do you mean by do it your way? I always put the chain on the link matching the dot on the crank and then install the chain guides and then pull it taught and rop the head onto the block use a freind and then put the exaust cam in first wrap the chain around the sprocket then theintake...

Basically I just need this stuff cleared up real quick before I continue on w/ the rebuild. I should be finished shortly!!

thanks!

hope that helps get back at us or me etc.

zugoi
02-15-2007, 04:36 AM
? How would that help he you just qouted what he asked.

shayrgob240
02-15-2007, 08:47 AM

I would have them installed by a machine shop...

Thats pretty gay man, there should be a designatiuon like r1 or r2 on the cam or someting else like I on one onad a box with dots on it in theother otherwise i do they still have the sprockets attatched

Its really bad, re-shimming should be required for any modification to the valve train especially any change in valve hieght as you may experience

What do you mean by do it your way? I always put the chain on the link matching the dot on the crank and then install the chain guides and then pull it taught and rop the head onto the block use a freind and then put the exaust cam in first wrap the chain around the sprocket then theintake...

thanks!

1) Why have a machine shop install them? It looks EXTREMELY simple to put in. I just want to know if it's necessary on the s13 ka.

2) They are stock cams that I'm reusing from the engine. ONe has aa #1 on it and the other has a #5 on it. lol. For now I have the orange installed for intake and the green installed on exhaust.

I looked in Alldata and the cam lobe height is the same for exhaust and intake so I don't think it really makes a difference.

3)Yeah...I was just trying to get around it. I probably need new shims b/c I redid the valve seats and I cut the valves.

4) Check this out:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/shayrgob/timing.gif

In that picture the head isn't on the block. Why not? Why can't I just put the head on first THEN put the chains on?

THanks

shayrgob240
02-15-2007, 08:48 AM
? How would that help he you just qouted what he asked.

there are answers in there. I had the same question but then I looked at it closely

MELLO*SOS
02-15-2007, 09:16 AM
4) Check this out:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/shayrgob/timing.gif

In that picture the head isn't on the block. Why not? Why can't I just put the head on first THEN put the chains on?

THanks

You didn't really specify, is this a KA24DE?

Anyway you can the timing chain how you want. Thats how it's done if the motor is in the car and you wanna replace the chain/guides/tensioner without removing the head & replacing the head gasket. The head gasket has a loop on the front (to seal the timing covers) that the chain goes through.

GL

shayrgob240
02-15-2007, 09:26 AM
You didn't really specify, is this a KA24DE?

Anyway you can the timing chain how you want. Thats how it's done if the motor is in the car and you wanna replace the chain/guides/tensioner without removing the head & replacing the head gasket. The head gasket has a loop on the front (to seal the timing covers) that the chain goes through.

GL

Awesome!!! thanks for the quick reply.

PS- I have a DE

steve shadows
02-21-2007, 10:45 AM
haha, i replyed in the quote, and now im getting neg rep? lol

ill make sure its bold and underlined next time.

I hope it helps regardless.

reaxion
02-21-2007, 11:24 AM
for future reference, always keep track and label what you remove. and why are you using an s14 fsm for an s13.

forgottenpromize
04-13-2007, 09:33 PM
S13 intake (240) - green stripe, first lobe is aligned with the pin
S13 exhaust (248) - orange stripe, first lobe is 4 teeth clockwise from the pin