PDA

View Full Version : Zenki ka24de into Kouki - what issues arise?

KADRIFTER
02-14-2007, 12:37 PM
OK, so i know you all want to flame me for this but I'm having problems searching.. Everytime i search the results page shows up blank so i have to ask...

I have a 96 5 speed Zenki 5 lug w/ the ka24de built to high hell. Problem is the body has some major dents, suspension issues etc... and it wasn't really the body i originally wanted (wanted the kouki but settled for zenki). Now i have the chance to buy a kouki for a great price - perfect condition, 126K on it, 5 lug, but it's an automatic.

What issues arise if i wanted to swap my zenki ka24de into the kouki? I know the kouki is OBD II so there must be a wiring harness issue and ECU issue. Also - if i swap in my 5 speed to the kouki will i still be able to pass smog or is there a sticker or something tagged to the VIN that says it's supposed to be an auto?

At least post some links for me to check out if you know of any, like i said i really have tried to search but I'm running out of time and ned to make a decision.

projectRDM
02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Your 96 is OBDII.

The only difference will be the rear O2 sensor, 4wire vs. 3wire, just swap the lower harness and sensor. Everything else is the same.

aznpoopy
02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
as for smog issues... iirc theres a restriction on stock motor swaps. i believe you can only swap a motor into you car if it is of the same or newer model year than the chassis.

i am not sure on that, and its very possible its state specific ... so go to the only legitimate source of information... call your local DMV.

practically speaking i would be surprised if anyone checked for that at an inspection. then again i don't live in cali.

KADRIFTER
02-14-2007, 01:45 PM
^ Thanks. So the manufacture date is 10/95 - that's OBD II? Sounds simple enough if so. I figured i had the OBD I. So the lower harness just swaps right in - good to know.

How come in some other post when swaping the kouki motor into the zenki people say you have to replace the intake manifold and headers?

aznpoopy
02-14-2007, 02:23 PM
because 95 240sx is OBDI

its pretty evident if you ever seen one
us 95's dont have all that extra crap on top of the intake manifold

S14DB
02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
It goes by model year not by Manufacture date. If it was sold as a 96 it has to meet OBDII standards.

As far as legalities. The build plate will list the Model of the auto tranny. I doubt that the average cop would know the models of trannys in our cars. There is several vin plates on the engine and they tranny. I know with Honda's cops love to check the plates against the dash and firewall build plate and then bust them for stolen engine till they can prove ownership of the new engine. Then bust you for an illegal swap when you didn't modify your title/reg to list an new engine and it's VIN. To register the swap it has to be a same year or newer. 96 is older than 97-98.

Then when you goto smog(official not test only) the car they will hook up the obdII and they'll see that it's a 96 ecu and a manual tranny.

I'm sure you can over come this all if you find a same year or newer manual tranny ecu for the kouki.