PDA

View Full Version : Car Emmissions Questions

bladen
02-04-2002, 08:56 AM
okay, i live in utah, the area i live in is Smallsville( no one down here really.2000pop. for county)

and i had a few questions about street legal stuff.

i read earlier that the SR20DET was never approved by DOT.
Does that mean that it will NOT pass regardless, because i live in an area where they DONT do emmissions. at all. only the Safety check,  with that being the case, what would i have to worry about if considering a SR20DET swap.

also, i would be moving back to Salt Lake in the next 2 years, is there a way that i could MAKE it pass. (without pulling the Engine and replacing the KA every year!)

or is the option of registering the car in a smaller county that has no emmissions req. work.

i Really Want to do the SR swap, but im concerned about driving to other areas and getting pulled over, unless im like mad speeding or something , they prolly wouldnt even look under the hood would they, and chances are, they wouldnt know what it was to begin with right... i dunno
im just trying to find out of the SR swap is a good idea for a car that will be a daily Driver in central utah and in SLC in the future!

transient
02-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Well, cops don't generally pop the hood of a car. Maybe if they thought you were smuggling or something...

It sounds like you're in the same type of town as me though. No emissions, and a lot of the stations will give you an inspection sticker after checking your lights and blinkers. If that's the case, you should be fine in your home town. I'm personally making it a requirement for anyplace I move to that there is no emissions testing and that inspection is easy to pass.

luke20
02-04-2002, 01:26 PM
OK, Here's what you do:
Do the swap.  you'll be much happier.  Chances are, a cop will never pop the hood of your car, and if he does, he won't know the difference between the two engines, anyhow.  On the small chance that he suspects something, tell him it's a custom project, consisting of a motor from a sentra (with your old trans.), and the turbo from a 300zx.  This confuse him enough to just forget about it anyway.  
When you go to get it inspected, the swap will probably go unnoticed, since both motors are still four cylinders.  If anyone asks, tell them you added the turbo to the stock motor, or tell them what you would tell the cop.  If you ever need to pass emisions, you can use a catalytic converter that is the same size as your exhaust piping.  Random and Catco both make custom size cats, so this shouldn't be a problem.  

silvia lover
02-05-2002, 01:49 AM
so, what you means is use a bigger cat. and it will pass the emissions even you have the SR swapped, right? :confused:  :O that's sound pretty easy to me. if it's can pass the emissions.