PDA

View Full Version : Going to my first HPDE maybe: thoughts on running on street tires/wheel setup?

redsuns3838
02-10-2007, 01:30 AM
has anyone ever done any HPDE on ST115s?
Im trying to make it out to a trakc even on march 3rd, (itll be my first) but I dont have the proper wheels for grip racing. nor tires. nor the funds and sources to quickly get those things. So I think Im going to just go and try to learn something out of it on my S115s. I realize theyre not the best tires for grip, but unfortunately I cant fit some wider/stickier tires on my car without body work. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this. Do you think it will wear a LOT with a day at the track? or it shouldnt be too bad. They arent by any means new....but have some tread left on them.

car is a S14, SR, about 220whp, and probably will have a 2way diff in by the track day. Wheels: 17x9 +30 17x9.5 +15. tires: ST115 front 225/45 rear 235/45
as you can tell the wheels sit pretty flush and tires are stretched. looks cool for the street but sucky for the track. which is why im planning to sell them after this event.

So I guess the question is- rush to the track, learn whatever I can since seattime is more valuable than anything else, or have a fully prepped car in like another 4-5 months and miss loads of events? whats more important in everyones opinion?

knate
02-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Seat time > everything.

Fully prepped car just means the limits are much higher. I think it's better to learn with lower limits. You should have no problem with those tires for a first track day.

UNITEDMASTER
02-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Hello there,dont trip about your tires IMO as long as its got at least 50% tread you shoul be OK for a 1 day event. Your front tires are the ones that ar gonna take the beating. TIPS for FONTUCKEY the section after you go under the bridge make sure to scub off the speed enough ,so you can actually ateer the car through ther & not understeer the whole section,it may be trickey down through there,cause its a marked using cones so sometimes its easy to get lost and course out. For the backside shicane dont be scured to use the rummble strips but dont get all over them like a mad man .Then you have a short straight leading to a RT hand sweaper(dont drift it time loss) kinda ,you need to get a good run outa that corner to get down the front side quick Your gonna love the next shicane 4-5 gear right left flick,depending on how its set up you cango straight through with just a lil stearing in put. Under the bridge again ,thats a lap at FONTANA. NOTE at some places on track you will be WOT & feel like you are going noplace then a vette or supra rockets by & your like damn but im flat out !!!!! HAVE FUN take your time & just learn the course as you feel more comfortable then push the corners. Im gonna be out there on SUN if it doesnt rain.PEACE

94cc0rd
02-10-2007, 01:31 PM
yeah from what i hear and experienced... seat time is most important...

since it seems like you will be running the with the grip group, you should be fine...

flybert told me that for grip events, for newbies, the tires wont' really matter.. its just a matter of going out and getting a feel for your car and learning the limits of your car.

OptionZero
02-10-2007, 02:33 PM
yeah, and memorize the freakin' track and the proper line.

TurDz
02-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Tires matter A LOT. But in this type of weather lately, not too hot at all, you shouldn't have problems especially if this is your first time.

Once you get to know the track later in the day you'll want to go faster, and that's when you'll crave grippier tires. Just go out there and learn the limits of the tire you currently have. Once you find that, it's all about driving near or under those limits.

Tires matter a lot in the rain too, as everyone knows. I might be driving on a wet track for the first time tomorrow. w00t!

TAMTANIUM
02-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Tires matter A LOT. But in this type of weather lately, not too hot at all, you shouldn't have problems especially if this is your first time.

Once you get to know the track later in the day you'll want to go faster, and that's when you'll crave grippier tires. Just go out there and learn the limits of the tire you currently have. Once you find that, it's all about driving near or under those limits.

Tires matter a lot in the rain too, as everyone knows. I might be driving on a wet track for the first time tomorrow. w00t!

Yup! Listen to this guy. It's your first time so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Go out there and have fun with what you have.

UNITEDMASTER
02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Hello were you the WHITE S-13 Hatch????

redsuns3838
02-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys, doing my best to get the car up to stuff to pass tech. GUess Ill just go out with whatever I have.

84GTSR5
02-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Hello were you the WHITE S-13 Hatch????

Are you reffering to todays Red Line time atack?
if so it was my friend ted with the s13 hatch. wich car where you driving?

UNITEDMASTER
02-12-2007, 03:09 AM
Are you reffering to todays Red Line time atack?
if so it was my friend ted with the s13 hatch. wich car where you driving?
Hello yea Im refering to todays time attack ,I did not drive this wknd,I just went out to watch.

Flybert
02-12-2007, 03:33 AM
Just to let you know, ST115's are a good tire to learn on for grip driving because they are very predictable. They get grippier as they get hotter and take high temps really well. Don't worry about getting super grip monster tires now. Save that for when you have the money to buy the tires AND do an event that same month. Don't sacrifice seat time for upgrades unless you start to notice your equipment holding you back from developing into a better driver. You'll know what I'm talking about after you get more seat time.