PDA

View Full Version : A POP after every shift or boost

komedy
02-08-2007, 07:47 PM
just change spark plugs in my redtop sr20det. one year past since last sparkplug change . i use the OEM platinums pfr-7b-11 NGKS. i installed the new sparkplugs in at .034 gap. Since the new sparkplugs my cars been getting a blowback at every shift no matter high or low boost. and the car feels very sluggish at mid to high rpms. it sounds loud but goes nowhere like hondas:). You guys recommend increasing or decreasing the sparkplug gap in this kind of situations?? the sparkplug gap should be the problem to this.
its moslty stock with exahaust.
i tryed seaching it but couldnt find a answer to this one.
thank.

clutch kick drifter
02-08-2007, 07:52 PM
im running 20psi and BKr7e11 gapped at .28 . Thing runs great but it backfires/popz after lots of shifts and shit but it dosent bog. ive had that problem before and one time it was a dime size hole in my cold piipe and the other time was a bad CAS. when it feels sluggish at high/ low rpms is that in boost? Like can you take it up slowly and not get a bog or it beomce sluggish, or is it any throttle it just sucks basically?

komedy
02-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I see from your statment i can say that since you running higher boost the gap decreases. but since my car is stock and the oem platiums come gaped at .045 i should increase the gap back to that number or close to it.

the thing is i never had backfires from previous spark plug and ran strong at all rpms. its the same spark plug and i gaped it the same. well thanks for the fast reply. im gonna increase the spark plug gap and see what happens.
ill reply back if that fixes the blowbacks and sluggish powerband.

thanks again.

komedy
02-08-2007, 07:58 PM
correct me if im wrong. any input is grateful.
thanks

staygold24
02-08-2007, 07:59 PM
mine does this alot too. I think it might be related to my plugs or a small boostleak somewhere.

Could be from the large walbro I have and stock boost. I dont know, Id like to know the culprit of this also.

komedy
02-08-2007, 08:01 PM
yeah i can take it up slowly and not bog. but gets sluggish after high rpms. and my boost guage reads normal boost presure also.

komedy
02-08-2007, 08:02 PM
lol kk ill let you know, im gonna redo the sparkplugs first thing tommorrow morning.

komedy
02-08-2007, 08:05 PM
hey how long you been driving with the blowbacks. i guess its ok to drive with blowbacks at every shift for a long time?

staygold24
02-08-2007, 08:10 PM
mines been doing it since I can remember, I really dont think it can hurt anything. It quieted down after I got an exhaust with a resonator. Im positive I need to gap my plugs though.

I run br7eix and should gap them to .028 but havent yet.

Flybert
02-08-2007, 08:37 PM
.028 is stock gap for SR.

komedy
02-08-2007, 09:05 PM
thank you flybert. didnt know that stock gap was .028. i will try decreasing
.034 too .028 and hopw it will fix the blow backs.