PDA

View Full Version : Walbro Fuel pump (Searched)

Dream240
02-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Okay I already know what to do for the install, jobs been done but....here's my problem

I got the pump in fine, replaced the o-ring, and replaced all the tank/pump locking bolts (x6) with new ones(washers too) :)

I am still getting a leak from the fuel pump tank seal!! I'm not sure if maybe the walbro creates too much presure for the seal to handle? I have never heard of this, but is it even possible?
I also am thinking that I tightened the bolts too tight. The FSM only calls for 2 ft lbs. which is really not alot. I'm assuming the pressurization causes the seal to sink into place? So now I'm at a loss. The fuel lines aren't leaking, I know this cause when I pulled the trunk cover off, all around the rim of the pump cover is wet, especially on the rear bumper side. I also didn't notice the leak until I filled up....

Anyone else ever have this happen? I'm gonna replace the seal again and retighten the bolts gently....maybe too much torque?

Any input would help thanks.

nrg
02-08-2007, 05:40 PM
the o-ring gasket is not sitting correctly. do you smell gas inside your car?

mRclARK1
02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Possibly the seal you replaced the old one with was faulty? I've never even had a hint of a leak with my walbro... and I didn't even replace the seal when I put mine in; just re-used the old one.

Wei240
02-08-2007, 05:50 PM
you probably want to recheck that dang o ring, mine was sooooooo difficult to put back in, look at bjorkluv's post on walbro install....

Dream240
02-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Alright well, I put ANOTHER o-ring in, they're cheap like 11 bucks. Only this time I didn't tighten down the bolts super tight. Used hand snug plus a slight turn, figured that equaled about 2 ft/lbs.

Okay so I drove this morning to my carpool, got out checked the pump......LEAKING still!!!! But this time the leak isn't as bad and it's coming out of the back portion. All the way to work I sat thinking about what I'm doing wrong and it hit me....the bolts I used to replace the old stock bolts (two of which stripped out) are too long!!! I got the same type of bolts.... M5x.8, but the shortest they had was 10mm. I'm thinking I needed at least 8mm.

I deduced that when I tighten them down, they are pushing against the metal ring underneath which is exactly what the o-ring sets on, thus creating enough gap to cause a leak!! Makes sense since this time I only tightened them down a lil' bit and the leaks not a bad. So I'm gonna throw some more washers in there today after work and see if that fixes it.

I'll let you guys know. Thanks to all for the input.

steve shadows
02-09-2007, 02:57 PM
maybe its the actual fuel line that is leaking, not the seal. :duh:

Dream240
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
No I've been checking that each time I look at it. The lines, even the hump right above the bolt section is dry. But around the edge of the seal is all wet, and the fuel is flowing with the driving down the back of the tank. The little palstic wire connectors that come right out of the top are dry.

Based on this mornings leak which is minimal, it's starting from the back seal section. I got some more washers, gonna gap up the bolts and see if that fixes it. I'm sure the seal will work fine after that.. I'll let you guys know.

Thanks.

Dream240
02-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Well, turns out the 10mm bolts I bought were too long. I gapped them up and no leaks.

Dammit I hate it when it's something stupid on my part....That's what I get for rushing the job.

Thanks guys.