PDA

View Full Version : nismo thermostat question

zenki_S15
02-08-2007, 11:16 AM
i was just given a Nismo Thermostat for the 95 240sx i just bought, what is the purpose of the thermostat? as in.... is this a popular upgrade to help out the stress on an engine?

thanks, cory

hello
02-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Regular thermostat opens at 76 degree C, Nismo thermostat opens at 65 degree C for better cooling. Results in at least 5 degrees C lower at Full throttle acceleration. A must for modified engines.

i got this off pdm-racing.com

i don't have it on my SR but if someone gave me one i'd definately put it on. who cares if it's 'popular'? if its's good for your engine..that's ALL that matters.

kenshinS14sks
02-08-2007, 11:51 AM
should be easy enough to search... use the button on top ^^^

g6civcx
02-08-2007, 12:02 PM
It's just like the thermostat in your house. How hot do you want it to get before the air conditioning kicks in? Same thing.

The only real advantage is to start coolant flow at a lower temperature. Once your engine is at operating temperature should any thermostat would open to let coolant flow.

Well, except for my crappy thermostat that stuck shut, but that's a different story.

GSXRJJordan
02-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Engines create max torque (and therefore hp) at a certain temp range - it has to do with volumetric efficiency of the head/intake mani, forged vs cast pistons, and a few other things. Built bike motors make their best power at about 175* F, whereas car motors usually do better around 180*-190*. This is why I didn't get the low temp thermostat, because I thought "wow I never want to be below 180* then." Turns out the SR goes nuclear hot under full load, so now I can see why everyone gets them - cheap way to get a little cooler when you're not on the gas. Anyhow, if I had one, I'd use it, but don't expect it to do miracles like a koyo/dual FAL setup would.

kleenS14
02-08-2007, 07:32 PM
^^^ said best. All motors are supposed to work at a specific temp. Expansion rates on various parts. If you dont dog your car all day and you have a relatively stock setup, its not worth it. But for any other circumstances its a good idea.

zenki_S15
02-08-2007, 09:37 PM
yea the car's KA motor is stock, the previous owner installed a koyo radiator with nismo cap. he gave me the new tstat to install. he said the ka motor is notorious for running to hot on long trips or something. besides the motor has 160k miles on it. about to put it through a tune up. i was wondering if i should install it or sell the tstat because honestly after the motor blows, i am getting another motor for tuning.

projectRDM
02-09-2007, 09:42 AM
The Billion unit is a better choice since it's designed to open when it fails, providing an extra level of protection. It's just too damn pricey for msot people to warrant buying it.

drew935
02-09-2007, 10:42 AM
I installed it on my mostly stock KA. It works fine especially since the engine needs more cooling. I'm still running the stock rad, cap, etc. Just an intake upgrade on mine.

kenshinS14sks
02-09-2007, 12:11 PM
the nismo thermo doesn't lock open when fail?

zenki_S15
02-09-2007, 07:54 PM
well the guy i bought it from installed a koyo radiator but gave me the nismo tstat to install. maybe i should install it for a nice combination. he says the KA motors run hotter than needed, so maybe this will help