PDA

View Full Version : No fluid in overflow tank , normal?

Jason240sx
02-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Checked out a car today and the car does not have a overflow cap on the car with no liquid inside but the radiator seems to be full. Any reason I should be afraid that the car will have cooling problems?

it's on a 98 auto KA24DE

Jung918
02-08-2007, 12:08 AM
It's obiously leaking from somewhere. Possibly the water pump is leaking, tear in the line, cracked radiator, etc. Check and see if you can find any dry spots from the coolant and go from there. I would personally look for a different car.

Jason240sx
02-08-2007, 12:12 AM
well to start things off , is it suppose to have fluid inside?...... even without the cap on the overflow tank?

Gnnr
02-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Yes, even if the cap is off the overflow tank, there should be coolant in there. The coolant should be at the MIN level at least.

The Hamsterball
02-08-2007, 12:18 AM
well to start things off , is it suppose to have fluid inside?...... even without the cap on the overflow tank?

yes.
easy way to check if you have a leak.
top off your coolant overflow tank, drive it for a couple days.
see if the level has dropped.
Do both with the car warmed up.

Jason240sx
02-08-2007, 12:50 AM
ok question: the thing is I haven't bought the car yet.

Any quick test run during the car inspection that I can find out if there is any leak at all?

cause the seller sounds fishy .... but he has been very helpful to provide 10 videos and over 50 pictures of the car in various view .

any pre-caution to check guys? the car body etc seems good. just that i saw the missing cap then i asked him about it and he told me in the email that KA has great cooling system and he has never seen any water there unless in an event of a blown head gasket? is he pulling my leg here?

i mean its a short drive to check the car myself but any tips and tricks and advise would be really helpful to help me out make sure the car is not actually leaking which the seller claims not to have any.

redsuns3838
02-08-2007, 01:09 AM
KA doesnt have a great cooling system.. it has an avg and reliable system. but great is a bit of an overstatement.

I would check compression if I were you. Failure to attend to details can often times show ones failure to attend to the rest of the car IE oil changes, spark plugs, etc. it might not have been well maintained.

On the plus side, KAs can take a lot of abuse.

Jung918
02-08-2007, 03:06 AM
I agree that that KA can take a lot of abuse, but it may be over abused. I would check the cooling system to make sure it doesn't look all brown. That would mean head gasket is blown. Also, after you test drive it, check to see if any coolant is below the car. Check the water pump also. It holds to fan in place. There is a weep hole and when it leaks, it is time to change it.
Most importantly, make sure that the frame is in good condition. The 98 should have a vin sticker on each body part. If it isn't there, then it usually means that it has been in an accident and the body part has been replaced.

g6civcx
02-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Pressure test the cooling system. If you're not leaking, but the coolant level is going down, you're burning coolant.

It's normal for some coolant to go down after bleeding the system. He may have forgotten to top it off.

Or it could have boiled over like me and all the coolant in the reservoir steamed out, but you would see big puddles of coolant if that were the case.

HalveBlue
02-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Caveat Emptor.

Just to echo what everyone else said already, pay extra attention when you're checking out the car.

Although there can be a variety of reasons for a lack of coolant in the overflow resevoir, usually it's a sign that there is a problem with the cooling system (i.e. blown headgasket, leaks, etc.)

Jason240sx
02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
here are some pictures of the car i have a lot more. care to give some opinion guys , frame seems straight the only thing he change is the front and rear bumper cover to jdm market bumper cover.

1.)which body panels are you guys talking about that has a vin on it? can name them for me pls?

2.)its a 98 120k clean title , no rust , supposing no problem at all for 6500 . is it worth it? auto .

3.)so do a compression check on the engine to check if it has a good compression . how can i conduct a pressure test on the cooling system?

4.) what psi on compression is a healthy KA with a healthy head gasket?

5.) how do i check for a good automatic transmission?

Apprecaite the feedback guys... just wouldnt wnat to get a bad bargain car on my first 240

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/rotarymagic/s1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/rotarymagic/s2.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/rotarymagic/s3.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/rotarymagic/s4.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/rotarymagic/s5.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/rotarymagic/s6.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/rotarymagic/s9.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/rotarymagic/s7.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/rotarymagic/s8.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/rotarymagic/s10.jpg

smurfgcr
02-08-2007, 11:18 AM
are these videos showing him beating the shit out of the car? personally, i wouldnt pay that much for it, you might find a lot more that is wrong with it after you buy it. plus, its an auto.

g6civcx
02-08-2007, 11:31 AM
The body looks clean but I don't know about the motor. If you think it's a good deal buy it and convert to manual.

Jason240sx
02-08-2007, 11:38 AM
smurfgcr: no just video to show the flaws of the car , what is bad and what not.

i have to give credit to him as a good seller to really take all the video and pictures i want for the car to avoid misunderstanding.

does 5500 seems better?

car has tein HE , 300zx brakes , and the other things you see on the picture

it's going to be my daily driver so for the moment automatic is fine with me.

so,

1.)which body panels are you guys talking about that has a vin on it? can name them for me pls?

2.)so do a compression check on the engine to check if it has a good compression . how can i conduct a pressure test on the cooling system?

3.) what psi on compression is a healthy KA with a healthy head gasket?

4.) how do i check for a good automatic transmission?

!Zar!
02-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Overflow tank? Meh. No need for one.

When you test the engine make sure the psi between cylinders isn't more than 10psi...

aznpoopy
02-08-2007, 03:05 PM
any pre-caution to check guys? the car body etc seems good. just that i saw the missing cap then i asked him about it and he told me in the email that KA has great cooling system and he has never seen any water there unless in an event of a blown head gasket? is he pulling my leg here?

O_o

that sounds like a load of b.s. to me.

it's not like nissan would put an overflow tank in the engine bay for show. coolant is actually supposed to be in there, on a regular basis.

+1 to zar
comp test before you buy; don't trust the seller

Jason240sx
02-08-2007, 03:49 PM
1.)definately will guys , so no difference of 10psi between cylinders but how many psi is considered a healthy engine?

2.)how can i pressure test the coolant system? is there any tools or gauges i can pick up from autozone?

3.) how to test if auto tranny is working in good condition?

thanks guys , yea i guess he thinks i know nothing on engines then he try to talk his way out on me.

what do you guys think of the car with the pictures above?

Jung918
02-08-2007, 07:12 PM
1. 150-190 but remember that not all gauges will read the same. Just make sure the numbers are around + or - 10.

2. It replaces the radiator cap and you pressurize the system.

3. Go manual

If you look at the second and third pic you will see a sticker on the fender where it bolts up on top. Those are the vin stickers. You probally wont be able to read the numbers but atleast you know that it was not replaced. Unless he got another set of fenders from a different kouki.

Jason240sx
02-08-2007, 08:19 PM
thanks for the reply man.

can i pick up the pressure test device from autozone?

jung: ok i will remember the tips , but what manual are you referring to? any link to it as i am not the owner yet so i have 0 resources.

jobestudios
02-08-2007, 09:02 PM
hell you can probably rent one if need be. Its a pump that attaches to the radiator cap and has a guage on it, pump it up the the specifications on the cap (15 psi IIRC) and if the needle falls bring it back up and listen to where the hissing is coming from so you can find your leak. Although there are cases where Headgaskets will not show up on either a Compression test or a Coolant pressure test. Check the oil cap for a milky residue on top. Then you can also get an engine block tester, this you stick into the radiator and fill it up with a blue fluid, if any combustion gases are getting into the coolant system it will turn the fluid yellow.

Are you buying this car without test driving/seeing the car before?

Jason240sx
02-08-2007, 09:11 PM
jobestudios: neat trick , never heard of those , will the engine block tester hurt the engine or the cooling system?

I'm going to check out and see the car in person and test drive it this saturday but being the newbie as I am , thats why would like to hear all the experts comments in zilvia before doin something stupid this saturday. so hope you guys can share your car checking/engine and tranny checking technique before buying a used car =)

thanks alot really appreacite it

jobestudios
02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
honestly, pay 100$ and take it to the dealer for a PDI. You'll get a list of everything that is wrong with the car and then you can talk him down mass amounts.

Block tester doesnt hurt anything.

blownoffvalve
02-08-2007, 09:52 PM
yea that's a great idea.. doesnt hurt to get things tested

Jason240sx
02-08-2007, 10:02 PM
any nissan dealer? what's a PDI? shoot I was going to meet him in some intersection border of two state.

Jung918
02-09-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm guessing it's a pre delivery inspection?
You can go to any mechanic and tell them that you are about to buy a vehicle and that you would like it inspected. Ask for a compression test and a leak down test for the engine, pressure test the cooling system, etc etc
Expect to pay around 150ish for all that. Of course it will depend on the mechanic. You should really try to find a good mechanic. It doesn't have to be at the dealership.

When I said manual, I was talking about going changing over 5-speed.
Not sure if auto-zone would have the coolant pressure tester.

Gnnr
02-09-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm seeing some red flags from this whole thing. I wouldn't trust the guy completely. Run a Carfax on the car. Defiantly pressure test the system, and most importantly get a compression test on the motor! Get someone really mechanically inclined to go check the car out with you.

Simple way to test the auto tranny is to turn overdrive off, then put it in 1 when you get to a high RPM (over 3K) then put it in 2, then D (which is like 3) again when you reach a high RPM, then turn on overdrive (acting as putting it in 4) when you reach a higher RPM. See how the gears grab and that there is no slipping. Check how it grabs in normal D with the overdrive on and with it off.

Jason240sx
02-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Gnnr: thanks a lot for the hints and advise on the auto-tranny checking =)

the only thing i'm afraid of is the workshops are closed on saturday afternoon around the area we're meeting at. guess it's gamble. wish me luck guys

hope to get a real clean good deal kouki for myself

but if there is more tips on how to inspect a 240sx i really appreciate it , i guess i can call myself mechanically inclined but i'm coming from the rotary world so am afraif i might miss one or two things when it comes to the 240sx

all advise still welcome pls =) how do u guys check the cars u're going to buy from a private seller

Jason240sx
02-09-2007, 10:03 AM
anybody chime in?

jobestudios
02-09-2007, 03:29 PM
I take it to work and throw it up on a lift and perform all the tests we've told you to do. Seriously dude, if you're uncomfortable with inspecting a car its muuuuch safer to find a shop thats open saturdays and taking it there... for serious.

Jason240sx
02-09-2007, 04:22 PM
i'll try my best with the pointers by everyone of you. i'm sure i can get it done. just that controlling my excitement to own a kouki and not jump into a bad bargain though it's still a kouki =)

anyone else?

speedstar01
02-09-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm guessing it's a pre delivery inspection?
You can go to any mechanic and tell them that you are about to buy a vehicle and that you would like it inspected. Ask for a compression test and a leak down test for the engine, pressure test the cooling system, etc etc
Expect to pay around 150ish for all that. Of course it will depend on the mechanic. You should really try to find a good mechanic. It doesn't have to be at the dealership.

When I said manual, I was talking about going changing over 5-speed.
Not sure if auto-zone would have the coolant pressure tester.

affirmative, autozone does have a coolant pressure tester (Well they do in NY) you just put a few bucks down to borrow the tool and get your money back when you return the tester...no biggie

honestly you cant do much to test if the automatic tranny will last (another reason i love to buy stick shifts) but you can:

-check for proper level of tranny fluid on the dip stick
-make sure the fluid looks like recent fluid and is a red color and not dull or dirty (remember tranny fluid must be checked when car is running)
-ask to take a test drive make sure car gets all gears! including O.D.and reverse! also check for how it shifts into gears. it should not be slow, sluggish or hesitant...UNLESS ITS A FORD!!

okay that about sums it up, let us kno how it goes bud :)

Jason240sx
02-09-2007, 06:13 PM
thanks guys , keeping my fingers crossed hope the seller is a good guy and did not lie about the car condition =). it's my first ever kouki s14 =)

will post updates tmr after checking out the car . wouldnt mind more advise though if there is any. cause im checkin out the car tmr at noon